Will Verizon replace this phone with another phone?

cmgeek

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Had my charge for a few months and I just sent it back for screen issues. The next one came with a bad mic. Any idea how to get another phone from Verizon (not another Droid Charge)? I'm done with this phone.

Now don't just tell me to raise hell. I need specific things that worked for you to get a new phone.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I was told that if my data signal issues weren't resolved that I could get a different phone. Called them up today about it and was told I couldn't, they'd only give me another Charge, which means VZW basically lied to me (imagine that). I told her about the numerous issues I'd had with the Fascinate and why I even have the Charge, she said that it was Samsung that authorized them to replace the Fascinate, not VZW.

So again, they lied to me, basically.

cmgeek

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Ahh, thanks Clak. That is some place to start. I will try the data issues. I was just on a call and the phone lost signal for over a minute. This is getting ridiculous.

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is capable of replacing your Charge with another phone (they've done so for me recently). It requires a tech support manager's approval to do so, and they would only swap it with a phone of equal or lesser value. They really don't like to do this though. The only way I managed to get them to swap the phone model was by building up case against my old phone model: Verizon had replaced my phone around 7 times with each replacement having issues. The next time the phone acted up I spent more than an hour on the phone with tech support slowly working my way the chain and complaining about how the number of issues that I had experienced.

So yes they can, but you will have to fight them in order to make them. I'd recommend compiling a list of every issue that you have had with any of the replacements you've received and use that as ground work to build a case against your current phone model.

doncerda

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
When I had the Fascinate i got 6 replacement phones, so i told them there is no way i could accept nother of the same phone... and so that how I got a Dinc2... My mom did the same and she went from a Continuum to a Dinc2 and i took my brother from a Ally to a Dinc1... so its pretty much how ofter did your phone get replaced (3+ replacement phones was a good place to start complaining) and what is the actual issue, something like dead spots, crazy amount of reboots, and anything to do with the basic function of a phone (phone calls) is a good place to start... my brothers ally couldent exit out of the call screen and it had to crash so when it did that for 2 phones i told em that another ally was simply ot of the question... best of luck and i know you didnt wanna hear it but raising hell is pretty much where its at.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I had a thunderbolt and got 5 replacements and they said they would only exchange for another tb. I know awhile back they exchanged fascinates for charge's but that was because it was known that it was plagued with issues. Most likely you are stuck with the charge.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Interesting question and yes, its possible (I did the same thing). Now each customer is looked at differently in my experience, and my 6+ years as a VZW customer probably came into play. I had 2 Charges go out on me and finally I told them for what I pay per month, I could ETF out and buy Nexus S on Sprint. They offered to put me into any phone (this was back a few months ago) and I opted for the TBolt. The first TBolt was bad too! So after 4 device swaps, I was off the Charge and onto a working TBolt. Your mileage will vary but it is possible :cool:

EDIT: It should be noted I spent a lot of time talking to their Tier 2 network guys documenting various data and voice issues. Like I said, your mileage will vary but try to be as helpful as possible. Push when you need to, but understand the tier 1 folks you talk to have zero power for something like this. Better to woo a manager with your story imho.

Reactions: cmgeek

droid4me

May 19, 2011
Visit site
It has been a frustrating ordeal since getting my Charge. The first one I got within the first week had issues with phone calls (person I was talking to could no longer hear me & I couldn't hear them but phone showed it was connected). It also had issues with showing on the phone I had 3g & 4g services with almost full bars but then when I tried to use the Browser or Facebook it said "No Connection" or something like that. It also kept doing a forceclose error in various things I would be using (nothing consistent). Verizon said they couldn't find a problem and the Verizon store said they couldn't do anything for me cause it was 1 day past my 14 days (still think they were wrong). Well after some pushing & getting a little upset they finally swapped the phone (mostly because I was leaving that day to go out of the country for almost 2 weeks & I told them I had to have a working phone). Well when I did return from my trip the phone of course started doing the same things again. The store said I had to contact Tech Support for a replacement or help. Called them & an hour later (at least!) they were sending me a replacement which when it came was a "like new" phone. Called them very upset considering this phone was the most expensive phone they had and they sent me a not new replacement. This has gone on since June (all phone calls taking at least 45mins to an hour!) when I got the brand new phone, I am on my 5th phone! I have called Tech Support with each replacement and to complain about the issues. They finally agreed on this last phone call to give me the Motorola Bionic, mostly cause I told them I wouldn't take a lesser phone after paying for this one! I am hoping that this is a better option but I told the Tech person that if this doesn't work I may give up on the whole 4g thing and go back to a regular 3g device cause I just can't take the hassles! I also told them I was at a point of eating the early termination fee and switching companies cause this is all way too much to go through. I told them I have been a Verizon customer for way too many years to be dealing with the hassles. Anyway hope some of this helps someone else as I am not very optimistic my problems are completely resolved. I just know my previous phone was the Blackberry Storm and I was "stuck" with that horrible phone for 2 years and I am not going to go through that again!

squane123

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
ok, first off you will need to replace at least one more time and then be prepared to spend about an hour on the phone with Verizon. Recent story involving my mom and how she had issues with her Droid 3. After receiving her 3rd Refurb she asked me to call Customer Service for her. They transferred me to Tech Support. Tech Sup asked what the problem was and we exchanged information. I explained that we had already done a soft reset and then went for the full wipe. Letting him know that saved about 10 minutes time. Next I let him know this was unacceptable and that my mother, being a nurse, is on call 24/7. Basically I said we need to fix this now. Receiving a refurb was unacceptable. I first asked about receiving at least a brand new Droid 3, they said they couldnt do that. We then discussed a new phone entirely. He attempted to sell us on the Pantech Breakout, not a terrible phone, yes 4g, but trully mid level phone. Now if this was just my mom dealing with him she probably would have bit and that would be that. I told him that there was no way we were going to downgrade to the Pantech. He said those were the only options. This was about 45 minutes in. I asked for his supervisor. After about 5 minutes being on hold the super took the call. I explained where we were in the negotiations and that nothing up to this point was acceptable. She then offered an early upgrade, to be exact, about 1 year and 10 months early. She would get my mom into a brand new bionic. On top of the NE2 price she would knock off 100$ more bring the total to 150$. Now this doesnt sound like a deal but while she was talking I did some quick research to see what Verizon would pay for the Droid 3 and that was 110$. All said and done she received the Bionic for 40 Dollars. Not free but to get out of a phone that was nothing but problems I think it was well worth it. Now I plan on stealing my moms Bionic and giving her my Droid Charge... Hehehehe... Long Story Short it will take patience while speaking with a rep. Never once did I threaten to leave verizon or yell at them. Good Luck, hope this helps.

skenney1993

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I've had bad luck with my charge. My first 3 replacements had the data dropping issues and my 4th had a speaker that screeched in the middle of calls. The rep said they would send me out another charge and I told her I'm tired of this phone. Each device has given me problems and she said that samsung doesn't approve any other device swaps. Got my 5th replacement last night it has dropped data a few times. She promised to call later this afternoon to see how the phone is working. I'll try to get her supervisor and demand to get another device or get an early upgrade to get the nexus which supposedly has no data issues.

squane123

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Definitely wouldnt demand a phone, especially not a new one. Be humble and see what they are willing to push on you. You may get lucky and get something that just came out but I am pretty sure that wont be the case. One last thing was this Charge purchased by your NE2 plan? or was this phone full price when you got it?

skenney1993

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I got it as a warranty replacement from the fascinate(update problems). Just called them 10 minutes ago because the I never got a promised call back to see how my current replacement is. Anyways, the 2nd tier rep promised that his supervisor would call me tonight when she got back to the office. I highly doubt that will happen!

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I got it as a warranty replacement from the fascinate(update problems). Just called them 10 minutes ago because the I never got a promised call back to see how my current replacement is. Anyways, the 2nd tier rep promised that his supervisor would call me tonight when she got back to the office. I highly doubt that will happen!

Ever get that call? I'mg oign to call back later today and talk to someone higher up. I'm calling BS on that "samsung doesn't allow a device swap" line. It's Verizon's choice, they can swap it out if they want with another phone.

skenney1993

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Never did get a call back. Called yesterday late morning and told the 1st tier rep why I didnt get a call back from the supervisor. She said she was sorry and immediately put me through to 2nd tier. I told how all 4 of my replacements were dropping data and he said its not a defect rather a network problem. I told him why did vzw put these phones out when theres a network problem that doesnt allow me to access the internet whenever i want. He said that it isnt a big issue because there are more people without data problems that with. Then he told where do you want your replacement sent and i told him im not accepting another charge. Ill have the same problems with my other 4 so why would another one work. He said thats all we can do so i asked him for his supervisor. He said give me a minute while i talk to my supervisor about your problem. He got back on the phone and said we can send you a thunderbolt. I refused and said i deserve a comparable device. He said its 4g so it is comparable. I said tge screen is worse, the battery life is worse, and its outdated compared to my phone. The guy tgen said that i shouldnt judge cause i never tried it. After another 5 minutes of fighting for whsts right, om expectibg another charge in the mail.

cmgeek

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Definitely wouldnt demand a phone, especially not a new one. Be humble and see what they are willing to push on you. You may get lucky and get something that just came out but I am pretty sure that wont be the case. One last thing was this Charge purchased by your NE2 plan? or was this phone full price when you got it?

Thanks everyone for the help. I guess I will have to keep playing their game for a little longer. I bought this phone as part of an add a line.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
To everyone having troubles, email John Bianchi, he's the VP of customer service at VZW.

Near the bottom of this link: Executive Leadership

Someone will call you back about your issue, and they'll be soemone with the power to make you happy. I was told that if I play along and get at least one replacement Charge, if it doesn't work they'll give me a Bionic. I'd rather have the RZR or even Rezound, because the screens are closer to that of the Charge, but I may take the Bionic.

Reactions: hkrn44

danlintz

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I had a TB and after the issues with rebooting during calls VZ said they would give me a Charge UNTIL they fixed the TB issues. Now that they fixed that no switching back it's been to long they said. My fault it took them months to fix the issue on that phone? NO. This is from VZ corporate office who replaced my first TB after I contacted the CEO. Oh yeah and every time they replace a phones (3) they loose the one I send back and get to go though the tracking number game and $500 charges on my bill. They even turned off my account because they could not find the phone until someone got smart and found it on their network in use.

I live in a 4G fringe area (Napa) and don't get data for hours at a time due this phone locking out data it can't switch back to 3G on its own. Told me to wait for more 4G converge in my area to fix it but of course couldn't tell when when that will be. Not enough to get back my phone I purchased though. This phone is a slug, no message indicator light so I always am checking for messages. GPS does not work, well the rest is documented.

I just finished a phone project for our company and went from Sprint to ATT for 50 phones due to the issues with my phone and the horrible service from VZ. Next project is 1,000 plus phones and still going ATT. Some dropped call issues but they have stood behind their phones unlike VZ. tenth of the software bugs that VZ pushes phones out to the market with.

Going back to ATT after next year when my contract is up VZ is to arrogant and does the minimum to fix issues unlike ATT who suggests to replace phones instead of having to document a nightmare.

- Dan

cmgeek

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Good news everyone. I was able to get a Certified Like New Bionic! It took 5 times, but I finally got this phone replaced with someone else.

I have complained about losing the data connection. They sent me 3 CLN phones. Then they sent me into the store. The store saw the same issue with data connection and replaced the SIM Card. The same issue came back right there in the store. They sent me another phone. I called back in right away and complained.

At this point they did the same thing as others reported, they offered a TB or Revolution. I asked for a Bionic and they said the phone was too new to replace my phone. I then asked for a manager. This is where I got really lucky... she REFUSED to transfer me to manager and told me to call back in if I wanted to speak to someone else about my issue. This set me off. I called right back in and told them the whole story. BAM, 30 seconds later they were apologizing and overnighted- me a Bionic.

Hopefully no one else is having the same issues I did. If you are, good luck to you in getting your replacement. I hope this is helpful.

standupdad

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
To everyone having troubles, email John Bianchi, he's the VP of customer service at VZW.

Near the bottom of this link: Executive Leadership

Someone will call you back about your issue, and they'll be soemone with the power to make you happy. I was told that if I play along and get at least one replacement Charge, if it doesn't work they'll give me a Bionic. I'd rather have the RZR or even Rezound, because the screens are closer to that of the Charge, but I may take the Bionic.

John's name is now part of my executive email bombs I previously used
  • ivan.g.seidenberg@one.verizon.com
  • lowell.c.mcadam@one.verizon.com
  • thomas.j.tauke@one.verizon.com
in an executive email carpet bomb and got someone from the executive level customer service to contact me for my Fascinate replacement to give me a Charge. Note a couple of things in how to perform the email carpet bomb before you write your own, and be firm about what you want. I stated that I wanted a retail box, not certified like new, replacement and received it.

Basically, when you carpet bomb these folks, one of them has the issue assigned like a normal tech support ticket that requires someone to RESOLVE your issue. In the course of my resolution, they asked me to cough up $100 and a 2 year renewal to my contract. I said no. Then $50 and a 2 year renewal. Then $0 and a 2 year renewal. Again, I said no. I was not going to accept this as anything less than a warranty replacement with a better device.... and I won. In about an hour, she was shipping me a new Retail box Charge, and though she had to make the modifications that kept my account as not needing a 2 year renewal,

So yes, you can get what you want as long as you are firm in your consumer advocacy beliefs.

All of that said, I'm on my second Charge in about 2 months, and the first heated up so hot that you could fry an egg on it; then replaced by another Retail box Charge where now the ear piece is going out. Have not decided how I'm handle this one, but I don't expect my results to be any less dramatic.

Note that nowhere in my documentation did it state that I had to install USB drivers on any Windows based PC or laptop before using the USB to charge my phone. Consider this MANDATORY!! Not all USB ports output the same voltage, and the drivers help to regulate this. This is why my first Charge overheated to the point of overheating.

Good luck to anyone that needs to beat on Verizon to do the right thing. If you need, I can even send you a copy of the bloviated email I sent to the executive team that got me these results. Just make sure that you PM me for it, as I can only rarely come back here and play in the sandbox. Mommy doesn't let me out much over the past year, and I sooo miss Sparky.

SuD