First, thanks for all your collective wisdom in this forum.

I've got a rooted Charge that's run smoothly for a couple of months, with the voodoo lagfix kernel installed. I just installed the Wifi Tether 3.1 beta 6 APK directly from code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether, and it seems to have bricked my phone! As soon as it was installed, the touch screen became unresponsive (although the phone was not frozen). Somehow I managed to restart the phone, but now it will not get past the "Samsung" screen, even when I try to boot into safe mode or recovery mode. When plugged in, the phone is stuck on the battery loading screen.

Am I stuck with a dead hunk of plastic?
    11-21-2011 05:48 PM
    Can you get it into download mode? Remove the battery and, with the battery out, plug it into your computer with the USB. Anything?
    11-21-2011 08:07 PM
    Nope, nothing.
    11-21-2011 08:36 PM
    Assuming I can't fix this -- if I take it into a Verizon store, will they be able to tell it was rooted?
    11-21-2011 08:57 PM
    Actually, I did get it into download mode (had to hold the down volume button)! Now what can I do?
    11-21-2011 09:42 PM
    Ok, followed some links around and managed to successfully flash a Gingerbread build. Thanks!
    11-21-2011 11:40 PM
    Ok, followed some links around and managed to successfully flash a Gingerbread build. Thanks!
    Congrats! I would now suggest some further reading and build yourself a backup of everything. Use titanium for apps and data, SMS backup plus, pictures to Google Plus and then just save a copy of your fav ROM that you use to your SD card download folder. Backup everything...

After that you can play around like you have with less worry. I run into problems similar to this regularly. I just flash my backup and reinstall the data/apps. Do not restore the data if moving to a different ROM for fear of glitches.

Now you can relatively play safely and always get back to what you know works for you.

Dave

kraisydave's Channel - YouTube

Twitter @kraisydave

Android, Tech, HDR Photos

Everyone deserves to get the most out of their phone!
    11-22-2011 01:58 AM
    Glad to hear you got it fixed I thought you just needed an external power source with the phone off for it to cycle into download mode, my apologies! You figured it out, though.
    11-22-2011 10:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD