EP4 OTA Now Rolling Out

Mrjr

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmm. Gingerbread? not sure I want it.... on Froyo and able to wifi hotspot with widget and no tracking.... Gingerbread stops that..... gggrrrrrrr Verizon

Exactly. See for a while, I really wanted gingerbread because it meant Netflix. But now that's solved too, so I don't really need it. Rather have free tethering.

Last edited:

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. See for a while, I really wanted gingerbread because it meant Netflix. But now that's solved too, so I don't really need it. Rather have free tethering.

A workaround is to use PDANET Tablet or PDANET(for laptops). PDANET tablet is quirky, but if you use the following steps it works great.
Turn off WIFI
Start PDANET on phone
Start PDANET on tablet
Folow the instructions
DO NOT USE THE STOCK BROWSER use Dolphin browser

Works great, no need to use USB cable, however it is limited to one connect at a time.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So anyone receive it yet? The pdf didn't say much in the way of a time frame.

word from droidlife.com was the 29th...something about verizon "pinging" them...but i mean i can open a cmd prompt and ping anyone i want, so...;)

I have seen no one post about receiving the OTA update, and this is across various forums I keep track of so I can stay informed and thus keep everyone here informed. Everything I have seen points to the OTA not starting to roll out until the 29th. The verizon update page for the Charge indicates the OTA is coming soon. Past practice with verizon has been that the OTA has rolled out pretty much within a week of the OTA being announced on their website. And pinging is just the term droid-life used to say they received a response from verizon to their (I'm sure) numerous inquiries. I think it's a safe bet the OTA will start rolling out on Tuesday, November 29th.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Someone at xda got the OTA

Sent from DROID CHARGE 4G-LTE

He somehow was able to apparently pull the updater script from samsung's website and uploaded it to a file sharing site. The link to that upload is now apparently dead. You would have had to manually update your phone yourself using that script. If everything we have been hearing is correct, we should all start getting the OTA Tuesday.

kraisydave

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
And they're (VZW) still dangling the carrot in front of the donkey.....

Yeah, but the carrot is likely rotten and full of bugs! Have you been a part of updates like this with other phone models. It is a big risk being first unless you are comfortable flashing. I have seen other phones which got updated into glitches, force closes and even losing the ability to speak with the cell towers.
I for one will jump on and grab the update just for test purposes. But I will likely flash back to a ROM of my choice with 24 hours of it.

Dave

kraisydave's Channel - YouTube

Twitter @kraisydave

Everyone deserves to get the most out of their phone!

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but the carrot is likely rotten and full of bugs! Have you been a part of updates like this with other phone models. It is a big risk being first unless you are comfortable flashing. I have seen other phones which got updated into glitches, force closes and even losing the ability to speak with the cell towers.

I am running EP4P debloated and it runs pretty much perfectly and I have really no desire to take the OTA. Why take the risk as you say for a buggy ota release.I bet more than a few folks are thinking the same thing.

I am kinda interested in the new color scheme though.

vi3tboiii54

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I am running EP4P debloated and it runs pretty much perfectly and I have really no desire to take the OTA. Why take the risk as you say for a buggy ota release.I bet more than a few folks are thinking the same thing.

I am kinda interested in the new color scheme though.

very little changes in color still the same old poop

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Whatever the case may be, someone who gets the ota please throw up some screenshots. Thx

Sent from my SCH-I510

Twilborne

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I got this from the VZW web site.

? 2011 Verizon Wireless. 1111-E0233
SOFTWARE UPDATE GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR
DROID CHARGE BY SAMSUNG.
DROID CHARGE
by Samsung
Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update, i510.EP4, for your
DROID CHARGE by Samsung. This update provides several improvements for your
device, including an update to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread).
Verizon and Samsung encourage you to download this update.
Enhancements:
+ Download Manager App:
New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and
other apps.
+ App and Power Management Details:
Under Manage Applications, a new ?Running? tab displays a list of active applications and
the storage and memory being used by each.
+ Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality:
New capability to select a word, or select all, via press-hold. A second press of the
selected word copies or cuts the selected characters and pastes them.
+ New User Interface and Color Scheme:
New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
+ Security:
Added Device and SD Card encryption. VPN enhancements integrate IPSec VPN clients
into device security settings.
+ Updated Calendar Options:
? Display Calendar and event times in your home time zone when traveling.
? Dismiss individual reminders, such as dismissing one meeting reminder without
dismissing other meeting reminders.
Call Features
+ ?Pause?, ?Wait? and ?Password? have been added into the voicemail speed dial entry for
manual entry/storage.
+ The vibration alert intensity has been increased.
Email, Messaging and Data
+ The messaging signature setting is now supported.
+ The Hotspot-WLAN password is now encrypted.
+ Display .eml attachments from Outlook email.
Standard data charges may apply. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. DROID is a trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. and its related companies. Used under license. ? 2011 Verizon Wireless. 1111-E0233
SOFTWARE UPDATE GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR
DROID CHARGE BY SAMSUNG.
For step-by-step instructions on how to perform the download,
please visit verizonwireless.com/droidchargesupport
Device Features
+ Software Upgrade Assistant (SUA) has been added.
+ The volume of the Low Battery Notification sound has been reduced.
The following device features, applications and software have been improved:
+ Audio Output
+ Bluetooth?
+ Camera
+ Data Connectivity
+ Data Usage App
+ Email Client
+ EAS Email and Calendar syncing
+ GPS
+ HDMI Output
+ SMS / MMS Messaging
+ Visual Voice Mail