Gingerbread OTA update! Is my Android phone ready?

Any customizing of your phone can hurt it! Complete at your own risk.

Wonder if your Android phone is ready for an Over The Air (OTA) update? People keep asking varying questions about this OTA.

The Droid Charge is about to get an update from Froyo to Gingerbread. I made this vid to help answer questions about the process helping you make sure your phone is ready.

Developer Imnuts provided a great how to for preparing your phone if you are running anything but stock. Backup first as this will erase your phone!

[How-To] Prepare For The Gb Ota - RootzWiki

Thanks for watching! If this vid helped you can return the favor by subscribing to my channel @ kraisydave's Channel - YouTube

Twitter @ kraisydave

Google + @ kraisy dave

By: Imnuts

With the release of the source code for Gingerbread, it seems that Verizon has finally accepted a gingerbread build for the DROID Charge. Since many people are running a custom ROM, you won't be able to get the official OTA, especially if you're mixing the ROM, Kernel, and Modem versions. This will give people a quick "how-to" for being able to accept the OTA update. The biggest reason for this would be to get the official modems, as well as being able to get a system dump and stock kernel. NOTE: This process will wipe all of your user data and reset everything back to stock. Backup your data prior to following this guide. I am not responsible for any problems you encounter when following this guide. Do all of this at your own risk.
    Download Odin and the EE4 Factory Image
    Reboot your phone into Download Mode (power off, then plug in the USB cable attached to your computer while holding in the volume down button)
    Open up Odin and make sure that your phone is detected, if not, unplug your phone and plug it back in. Only one COM port should show up yellow in Odin. Also, ensure that your battery is in before flashing.
    Extract the *.7z file that you downloaded for the EE4 Odin file so that it is a .tar.md5 file
    Click on PDA in Odin, and browse to the freshly extracted .tar.md5
    Uncheck the F. Time Reset Box and Re-Partition box, leave the Restart box checked. Do not check/uncheck any other boxes.
    Press Start and Odin will begin flashing your phone. Your phone will restart after it is complete, which should take less than 2 min.
    Setup your device and you're ready for the OTA update. Do not root your phone, deodex it, or anything else. Doing so will prevent you from accepting the OTA update properly.
    11-28-2011 11:33 PM
    Lol. Quite the ota update, that isn't being received at 4:31 am. Maybe in a few more months lol. Maybe ill jinx it to be waiting when i wake.. Otherwise im flashing my phone back to 2.3.6 lol
    Terrigno likes this.
    11-29-2011 03:32 AM
    Lol. Quite the ota update, that isn't being received at 4:31 am. Maybe in a few more months lol. Maybe ill jinx it to be waiting when i wake.. Otherwise im flashing my phone back to 2.3.6 lol
    Funny...

it is as exciting as waiting for Santa isn't it? Did he come yet? Did Santa drop of the gifts?

20 years later.... did Verizon show up yet? Is it here yet!!? Oh boy oh boy!
    lv2bsilly and spencer0279 like this.
    11-29-2011 08:39 AM
    Relax everyone ;-). A Verizon update isn't instantaneous. It can take up to a day or more to work it's way through the network.

Be sure to post when/if you get it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    11-29-2011 09:48 AM
    I currently have the leaked,nonrooted version of GB on my charge. Is there a good reason to go back to the old versio0n and do the OTA GB when it rolls out? I am currently satisfied with what I have now, but would go thru the process to get the OTA version if it has advantages. The only thing I am not satisfied with is the wifi hotspot widget does not work on GB. I would think this would also be the case with the OTA version.

THX
    11-29-2011 11:24 AM
    The Verizon support site for the charge has a downloadable doc with the new features.
    I doubt they would roll it out with hotspot broken. They make money on that.

11-29-2011 12:04 PM
    The Verizon support site for the charge has a downloadable doc with the new features.
    I doubt they would roll it out with hotspot broken. They make money on that.

I was using hotspot widget from the market(free). When I upgraded to GB it no longer functioned. Since then I switched to PDANET and it works fine as a replacement.
    11-29-2011 03:03 PM
    Funny...

it is as exciting as waiting for Santa isn't it? Did he come yet? Did Santa drop of the gifts?

20 years later.... did Verizon show up yet? Is it here yet!!? Oh boy oh boy!
    Now that quote is funny.. relieved stress over when OTA.. and of course i will root it etc ...
    11-30-2011 01:44 AM
    I was using hotspot widget from the market(free). When I upgraded to GB it no longer functioned. Since then I switched to PDANET and it works fine as a replacement.
    veryone should get the news out to everyone..use pda.net but then Verizon would get nervous loseing cash flow.. so shshshshshshsh.. dont tell everyone bout the pda thingy..
    pst!pst! I use the PDA everytime i spend a night at Va med cntr in murfreesboro,tn.
    of course i also have netflix so I can either watch thru laptop or watch somethhing on ph into laptop with the HDMI miniture end for phone and large end to HDMI reciever ...
    11-30-2011 01:50 AM
    I currently have the leaked,nonrooted version of GB on my charge. Is there a good reason to go back to the old versio0n and do the OTA GB when it rolls out? I am currently satisfied with what I have now, but would go thru the process to get the OTA version if it has advantages. The only thing I am not satisfied with is the wifi hotspot widget does not work on GB. I would think this would also be the case with the OTA version.

THX
    I would flash back to stock first. Follow the link in the show notes to the imnuts rootzwiki for the file you need.

And for the hotspot problem... what software are you using? The one built into the verzion phone? Yes, that does suck and costs. Try PDA Net for unrooted. Try Open Wifi Garden for Wifi tether.

Be careful not to get extra data charges.

Dave
    11-30-2011 01:47 PM