12-12-2011 01:35 AM
170 ... 4567
tools
    Just got my Gingerbread update this morning on my Charge and on my wife's Fascinate and everything went well, and my phone does seem much snappier. Only question I have is shouldn't I have voice chat through Google Talk now? It doesn't look like I got the new Talk app with the video/voice icons that should be standard with 2.3.5+ and I can't find it anywhere in the market. Apparently Talk is distributed as part of the OS so it's up to the manufacturer to include it with any updates?

Did Samsung not include the new Talk app? I would actually like to be able to use the FFC if only for the novelty factor.
    12-03-2011 08:52 AM
    Got the update this A.M., Atlanta.
    12-03-2011 09:04 AM
    Well my update was waiting for me this AM, but since the phone sucked 50% of the battery doing nothing (except downloading the update) over 9 hours last night, I'm stuck waiting for the battery to charge sufficiently to install.
    12-03-2011 09:19 AM
    I got my update this morning in Pensacola,FL. As far as I can tell, my phone is rocking a lot faster and stronger than before. Very pleased with the update, so far. Very.

The biggest difference that I've noticed so far is internet browsing. It is MUCH faster.
    12-03-2011 09:22 AM
    I got the update overnight here in Greenbelt, MD. The phone is definitely snappier which was the main improvement I was hoping for. When I first got the Charge, I started a thread and posted to several threads about how laggy it was. This update defintely fixes that.
    12-03-2011 11:36 AM
    I got the update this am also. My phone seems much snappier too. Was using go launcher due to such a lag/redraw returning to home on the stock launcher.... Trying it again now and seems to be improved.
    12-03-2011 11:43 AM
    My update installed flawlessly. Snappy load on the browser I noticed right away. Much Smoother in every aspect I have noticed. Yippee!
    12-03-2011 12:39 PM
    Does the update fix the data connectivity issues? Like many other people, when I am away from my internet connection, I have to restart the phone for a connection. Thanks in advance for your help.
    12-03-2011 12:41 PM
    If i do this OTA will i lose all my apps and have to do factory reset? Jus asking because it happend to me on my Dinc. And should i put all my apps on my sd card?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    12-03-2011 12:48 PM
    i can browse the web and talk on the phone now
    this is new right? because im pretty sure i couldnt do this before
    the update....kinda awesome
    GramieDroid likes this.
    12-03-2011 01:20 PM
    i can browse the web and talk on the phone now
    this is new right? because im pretty sure i couldnt do this before
    the update....kinda awesome
    You can do this if you are connected to wifi or are in a 4g area. Maybe when you tried before and could not you were in 3g territory.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    12-03-2011 01:25 PM
    I still havent received the update after going back to the stock build. I have been reading all the posts and have decided that I was not going to take a chance with my phone since it seems the update may have a lot of issues still. I am going back to the rooted version I had on the phone. Just a week of being back to plain old stock was enough.
    12-03-2011 01:42 PM
    I lost free hotspot(muller widget) after update. Is there a different widget for free hotspot? Liked having it
    12-03-2011 02:01 PM
    Looks like last night was the first BIG rollout. Got mine early in the morning but like one other poster the phone was too weak to load. Plugged it in, went back to sleep for another two hours and then it loaded right up. No glitches with the load. Here is what I've got so far:

1. GPS. I never had the GPS issues others have mentioned so can't say anything changed. I had one glitch while I was testing in that for a few seconds the location was inaccurate. But it came back quickly.

2. Performance. Can't say yet. Will take a few days to get an idea.

3. Wi-fi. Like someone else reported, I am experiencing a slightly weakened wi-fi. My back room was borderline before but it always held on. Now it tends to lose the connection occasionally. Also a weird thing. Sitting right next to my router, I initially noticed that the wifi signal was not showing any strength, i.e. no bars above the dot. I went into settings and it showed a good signal, and also the wifi notification icon suddenly showed the correct number of bars.

4. Bloatware. Four new apps added. Download manager actually doesn't seem too bad. I have no use for any of the VCast stuff though.

Only time will tell on battery life and overall performance. It feels zippier, but I've only been messing with it for a short time.
    12-03-2011 02:05 PM
    Just got my Gingerbread update this morning on my Charge and on my wife's Fascinate and everything went well, and my phone does seem much snappier. Only question I have is shouldn't I have voice chat through Google Talk now? It doesn't look like I got the new Talk app with the video/voice icons that should be standard with 2.3.5+ and I can't find it anywhere in the market. Apparently Talk is distributed as part of the OS so it's up to the manufacturer to include it with any updates?

Did Samsung not include the new Talk app? I would actually like to be able to use the FFC if only for the novelty factor.
    Seems the charge didnt get video chat with google talk for some reason. I finally got the update today. My wifes revolution has the option for video chat but not my charge.
    12-03-2011 02:54 PM
    My girlfriend's Charge got it this morning. She was on wifi. Northeast Ohio.
    12-03-2011 02:59 PM
    got the update pushed to my phone today, downloaded, verified, rebooted, made the install process to about a 1/4th of the way then went right into an exclamation point with triangle screen. Been stuck on there after a complete phone reset, then another try formatting my sd card....now what?!?!
    12-03-2011 03:07 PM
    GF got hers in SoCal today. She had no issue with install.
    12-03-2011 04:18 PM
    Initially had long delay with GPS, took about 10 minutes to lock. But then the next two time I've used it it locked in about 20 seconds. Hopefully that remains more the pattern going forward.
    12-03-2011 04:37 PM
    Seems the charge didnt get video chat with google talk for some reason. I finally got the update today. My wifes revolution has the option for video chat but not my charge.
    Well that sucks... that was probably the only feature in Gingerbread that I was really looking forward to
    12-03-2011 04:39 PM
    This morning I reported that after the update my phone would not stay powered on. Took it over to the Verizon store and had them look at it. They couldn't keep it powered on either. I decided the onlly way to see if the phone was still gonna work was to do a factory reset. Did that and everything appears to be fine now. Just having to spend time re-installing apps.
    12-03-2011 04:42 PM
    So for so good. Installed in 20 min including reboot (excluding SD card scan). No big differences yet, I do like the scree scroll wraps and the orange over scroll indicator is fine.
    12-03-2011 04:45 PM
    I received it. Color me UNDERWHELMED. Not a big upgrade IMHO.
    12-03-2011 04:46 PM
    I received it. Color me UNDERWHELMED. Not a big upgrade IMHO.
    Come on now. Mine went a full 9.5 hrs before it did the normal random reboot. That's real progress.
    12-03-2011 04:49 PM
    No more Screeching with Tango! Smoother and faster response, I do see that they sneaked in some vzw apps like video and ringtones . Over all I'm tickled with the update. So now that they are selling it for forty nine, some people are gonna get a great phone. Also runs smoother with 3G. We will see if the bluetooth stays connected with my Fiat500.
    12-03-2011 06:38 PM
170 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD