I think my phone is still dropping data

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
It will say it has 4g and data still works,its just really slow. I put it in airplane mode and back to 4g and its nice and fast again. I'm on stock ep4d. It was happening on the leak ep4p as well. I thought gingerbread fixed the charge dropping data? Also I'll do a speed test when its slow,and it will show 5 to 3mbps and 20 mbps up. Why is the upload so amazing and fast? I just did a speed test after putting it in airplane mode and it was 32mbps down and 8 up.So what's going on? Help please.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Well hey, it's trigun! I think we've crossed paths several times on these forums...

Just wanted to let you know that I've had data drops on this phone (Charge) since day 1 and have probably put up with it longer than I should have. I decided to see if the GB OTA would finally fix this problem, and you know what? On Saturday I picked up my phone to use it and--BAM--the data dropped. No 3G, no 1x, just no data, and it never came back on again until I restarted the phone later in the day.

So I am currently in process with Verizon getting them to replace my Charge with an Incredible 2. I should have never left that phone, because, it actually worked. I can now say that 4G means nothing to me, since I never use its capabilities and have always left my Charge in 3G to conserve battery. I just want a good 'ol reliable phone that does data and voice without complaint. How have you liked the DInc2?

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Well hey, it's trigun! I think we've crossed paths several times on these forums...

Just wanted to let you know that I've had data drops on this phone (Charge) since day 1 and have probably put up with it longer than I should have. I decided to see if the GB OTA would finally fix this problem, and you know what? On Saturday I picked up my phone to use it and--BAM--the data dropped. No 3G, no 1x, just no data, and it never came back on again until I restarted the phone later in the day.

So I am currently in process with Verizon getting them to replace my Charge with an Incredible 2. I should have never left that phone, because, it actually worked. I can now say that 4G means nothing to me, since I never use its capabilities and have always left my Charge in 3G to conserve battery. I just want a good 'ol reliable phone that does data and voice without complaint. How have you liked the DInc2?

The inc2 was a good phone and it has more dev support than the charge. It even has a ics port. The only problem with it is the reception is bad. Like the antenna is weak,the charge will have full bars in areas and the inc2 will have one or no bars. Go into a store on it and try and talk on the phone and your call will break up and drop,again the charge is fine. For that reason I sold it,to get ready to try and buy the nexus. Also hello again,why did you ask to switch to that phone? Its a good phone software wise, just that main problem. I guess I'll sell my charge to once I get my nexus.
Back on topic, I got those kind of data drops on ee4,but on ep4d,and ep4p I'm getting some sort of odd slowdown data drop because it doesn't lose data it just slows to a crawl.

Last edited:

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply... I am interested in going to the DInc2 because several family members have it and I am really pleased with its form factor, colors actually look natural on the screen, OS zips around much faster, GPS lock is instant and I am sick of these Samsung GPSs always taking forever to lock. I'd also like to use the latest version of Swype and enjoy my phone without having to root it. Oh, and data should work when I need it.

I am aware of the few pitfalls with reception and speakerphone on the DInc2, but most people say it's not much of a problem in the real world. I have compared the dB side-by-side with my Charge, and although the reception is not as good, the bars are an over-exaggeration of the situation. I just find it amazing that in general seems people on the DInc2 forum are happy with their phones, and the people on here are constantly griping about issues with their Charge. I hope I'm making the right decision.

Droid Charge - Tapatalk

arctic388

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
i have experienced the slow data with 4g signal. i did the LTE switch to cdma and back to LTE and i was fast again. so far its only happened once. i never had that happen before the update. i would just lose signal

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

FWIW:

I had the no data problem and called VZ support. He had me switch the network from CDMA to LTE, then pull the battery with the power on, wait 30 seconds, put battery in and power on. It seemed to resolve the issue for a while. VZ support also recomended doing this procedure from time to time. It reminds me of the good ole BB days when I had to do battery pulls. Think there is an app for that in the market?:)

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
It seems the charge will forever have data problems. I can't wait to switch to the nexus, although it is still Samsung hardware and I still worry about it having data drops. So far every Verizon Lte phone has problems with data, well not sure about the razor or rezound.

Chris2183

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Count me in as well. Mine still dropping data and has now started dropping calls too.

I am tired of this POS phone and still have another year to go

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Count me in as well. Mine still dropping data and has now started dropping calls too.

I am tired of this POS phone and still have another year to go

Yup, mine drops calls too. Funny it dropped my call today while on the phone with VZW tech support!

Well, if you can believe this, VZW says they are NOT able to give me CLNR Incredible 2 to replace my Charge because the system does not allow me to downgrade to a replacement 3G phone! And the Bionic and RAZR are "not comparable phones" with their "much faster" dual core processors.

So I am on my own now to track down an Inc2 for sale. I think I am done with the Charge.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
For anyone who has ever gone back to a 3G phone, if I currently have a 4G phone is it simple to activate a 3G phone just through the MyVerizon website?

Chris2183

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Yup, mine drops calls too. Funny it dropped my call today while on the phone with VZW tech support!

Well, if you can believe this, VZW says they are NOT able to give me CLNR Incredible 2 to replace my Charge because the system does not allow me to downgrade to a replacement 3G phone! And the Bionic and RAZR are "not comparable phones" with their "much faster" dual core processors.

So I am on my own now to track down an Inc2 for sale. I think I am done with the Charge.

Did they say what a comparable model would be? I had the LG Revolution prior to the Charge and had to return it as the signal weak and would constantly search for service while at work. I want the Bionic just because Moto seems to have the best radios.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Did they say what a comparable model would be? I had the LG Revolution prior to the Charge and had to return it as the signal weak and would constantly search for service while at work. I want the Bionic just because Moto seems to have the best radios.

The only remaining "comparable" models that I know of then are the Revolution and Thunderbolt. I think I'd put up with the Charge if those were my choices.

Oh and I do hope you've seen the Bionic screen? It really is as bad as they say. Colors are washed out...

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

That's BS, I was offered the Bionic. Talk to someone in the executive branch of customer service.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
That's BS, I was offered the Bionic. Talk to someone in the executive branch of customer service.

You're probably right, Clak. If I was actually interested in the Bionic I would have pressed the point, but I said they only 4G model that I would consider was the RAZR, and well, it would probably take a lot of complaining to get their current flagship phone as a replacement. Of course, it was done for Fascinate users since that phone had more serious issues. Inc2 in hand now (Craigslist). Will report back my review at some point.

Chris2183

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Oh and I do hope you've seen the Bionic screen? It really is as bad as they say. Colors are washed out...

Ive seen the screen, but at this point I would rather have a sub par screen that gets a consistent data connection.

Ive gone from using 3-4gigs of data a month on my old Droid 2 to .75-.8gigs with the Charge because it drops constantly

jackchaos

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
My phone keeps dropping data as well. A restart and/or battery removal will normally get it going again. I just got off the phone with VZW support. He said that shouldn't be happening. Was quite helpful and friendly (said he was in Irvine, CA) ... He offered to get me another Droid Charge or sell me another phone. He spent about 5 solid mins trying to push an iPhone 4S or iPhone 4 on me.

I came about having a Charge because my Samsung Fascinate crapped out. They wouldn't give me anything off an upgrade due to the problems I was having. Said my phone, the Fascinate, was out of warranty so there was nothing he could do.

I think I'm done with Samsung phones ... this Charge and 4G are awesome when it's all working unfortunately it's increasingly not working. Was hoping the OS upgrade would be the magic fix but it's only marginally better.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol