How do most users handle all these annoying app updates

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I get so tired of seeing app update notifications every time I look at my Charge. I know when we use free apps there is always a trade off in that they say they want to update the app but I'm sure they only want to track where you have been so they can sell your preferences to marketers.

I think I have it checked off to update automatically (I don't even know where that feature is anymore).

What is most annoying is I'm constantly getting up dates on the bloatware I don't even use.

Other than the bloatware apps and rooting the device, how do users handle all these constant updates???

heggood

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I set mine to auto update and not to notify me of an update. Doesn't bother me any longer as it once did.

Sent from my Fake, delayed, overdramatized Galaxy Nexus

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I set mine to auto update and not to notify me of an update. Doesn't bother me any longer as it once did.

Thanks for that reply. Could you point me to where I would do that on the Charge? The only place I saw to do that was when I originally installed a particular program.. How do I indicate not to notify me after the programs are already installed.

Thx

heggood

May 20, 2011
Visit site
It will still let u know when a app has been updated but u can just hit clear on the notification bar.

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
It will still let u know when a app has been updated but u can just hit clear on the notification bar.

Great. got it. I never new the market had a settings option so I never thought to look there to uncheck notifications.

Thx again.

lordbear

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
One can learn a lot by exploring every option in every app. It's how I got into IT - I was just curious and explored beyond my immediate objective. There are gems hiding behind preferences/options/settings in all software.

JihadSquad

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I know when we use free apps there is always a trade off in that they say they want to update the app but I'm sure they only want to track where you have been so they can sell your preferences to marketers.

Actually, when you look at the app in the market, there is a changelog and devs actually add new features or fix bugs with each update. Free apps are supported by donations or ad revenue, NOT collecting and selling your data.

MaxBuck2

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm foursquare against automatic updates. If an app is doing what you want and need, why would you want to update? In my experience, updated apps typically offer little new functionality but add unpleasant side effects. Examples of apps that were better in old versions (for my purposes) include AndiCar (auto mileage and cost tracking), SmoothCalendar, and WeatherBug.

When I get the daily notification of updates, I just hit the Clear button. Maybe once a week I'll visit the apps market to see what problems each of the updates purportedly solves. If it's something useful, I update; otherwise not.

Just another approach, and each to his own.

Miklos Keresztes

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi MaxBuck2!

I am the developer of AndiCar and I would like to ask you why the older version of AndiCar is better than the current version?

Best wishes
Miklos Keresztes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar