02-23-2012 03:09 PM
32 12
tools
    I currently have a Charge and was wondering if it's worth it to get the new Nexus? Anyone else considering the same thing?
    12-16-2011 09:57 AM
    I asked myself one simple question.. is there anything the Galaxy Nexus can do, that the Charge can't? My answer was 'very little'. The cost to upgrade simply does not make it worth it. I plan on waiting out my contract and getting well refined ics or even the next version of android, on a quad core.

The days of needed the latest and greatest, are over. I just want capable, and the Charge is more than capable, albeit with some flaws.
    GramieDroid and vwarnick like this.
    12-16-2011 10:57 AM
    I asked myself one simple question.. is there anything the Galaxy Nexus can do, that the Charge can't? My answer was 'very little'. The cost to upgrade simply does not make it worth it. I plan on waiting out my contract and getting well refined ics or even the next version of android, on a quad core.

The days of needed the latest and greatest, are over. I just want capable, and the Charge is more than capable, albeit with some flaws.

I also agree
    12-16-2011 06:17 PM
    I planned to make the jump as I have an upgrade to burn. But between the Gingerbread update and the holidays, I've decided to hold off. The Charge is by no means a perfect phone, but it meets my needs just fine.
    12-16-2011 07:25 PM
    Ya I was thinking that Nexus is another new phone to have klinks. I love my Charge now with the GB update.
    12-17-2011 08:32 AM
    even though i dislike my Charge i am going to wait for better hardware that is coming. the nexus just didn't raise the bar to me.
    12-17-2011 08:48 AM
    I asked myself one simple question.. is there anything the Galaxy Nexus can do, that the Charge can't? My answer was 'very little'.
    I upgraded to the Nexus and I gotta agree with you, very little.
    However just using the ics ui is really a nice change. Plus the geek in me HAD to have it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    12-17-2011 03:44 PM
    I wanted it for ICS and the no button experience and all the issues with signal have me worried. I keep thinking I need the VZW extender as my Charge's signal is not that great at home. I just got my 4th Charge and it is seeing a lot of time with no signal. It is alot better than my 3rd Charge though. ..

From what I have read, some with the GN's are not getting any signal in places where others had little. I planned on getting it but don't know now. I don't want the Razor and the Rezound looks thick.
    12-17-2011 09:56 PM
    I am planning to "upgrade" to Galaxy Nexus just for the Ice Cream Sandwich. AFter playing with it
    for half an hour in the Verizon coeporate store, I find ICS to be a very worth new updated Android OS.

I actually prefer the Moto RAZR, but it has has a non-removable battery which I cannot live with.
    The RAZR's build quality felt much better than the Galaxy Nexus. (or any other Samsung Galaxy or
    Charge phones, for that matter)
    12-19-2011 05:46 PM
    Was thinking about it for a while... but the 7 bills for it is insane, and I'm not ready for an upgrade until April '13 (Got this Charge last August.)
    12-19-2011 06:31 PM
    Was thinking about it for a while... but the 7 bills for it is insane, and I'm not ready for an upgrade until April '13 (Got this Charge last August.)
    who sells the Galaxy Nexus for only 7 bills? I assume you mean 7 $20 bills, making it $140...
    the closest is $149 at Amazon, but that's only for new customers... $249 for people like
    me who are upgrading exisiting accounts.
    12-19-2011 06:34 PM
    who sells the Galaxy Nexus for only 7 bills? I assume you mean 7 $20 bills, making it $140...
    the closest is $149 at Amazon, but that's only for new customers... $249 for people like
    me who are upgrading exisiting accounts.
    I think he meant $700. Off contract price.
    12-20-2011 08:58 AM
    I had the Charge and I was very happy with it. The wife needed a new phone so she got my Charge and I got the Nexus. I think it is definitely worth the upgrade. The smoothness of 4.0 and the overall polish of ICS is really worth the upgrade. There are some things that need worked out with 4.0, but for me these things are minor and I can wait for an update to fix them.
    12-20-2011 09:02 AM
    I don't think you should upgrade to a new version just because the company introduced it. First of all have a look at your own requirements. If a gadget is meeting your requirements in present condition, why experiment with it.
    12-20-2011 09:22 AM
    I agree totally with Carol! I'm just getting settled in with the Charge. It has a good sized screen for me to read easily and the keyboard is the right size for my arthritis hands to deal with. The GB update fixed the GPS and smoothed everything out. It still is dropping data signal at times but I think that is Verizon because I have heard some Razor owners complaining about the same thing.
    12-20-2011 11:15 AM
    I think he meant $700. Off contract price.
    Correct.
    12-21-2011 08:55 AM
    I played with the SGN for over an hour. I loved ICS but the signal issue was the main deal breaker for me at the moment. As soon as they fix the signal issue, I think it is a worthy upgrade. If the software updates to not improve the signal, I will hold off until something else comes out. I have several friends who have the Razor but the non-removable battery is a deal breaker for me on that phone.

Since the Charge was updated to GB, the Charge is outstanding in my opinion.
    rbess1965 likes this.
    12-21-2011 09:26 AM
    is it worth $289?
    After tinkering with my friends at work. I like it a lot. Its very nice.
    Though I want one, no its not worth $289 when my Charge is working just fine. (Debloated/Deodexed/Rooted)

Now my wife has a Droid X...She wants a Nexus. I'm gonna use my upgrade for her.
    12-21-2011 02:41 PM
    I was all set to buy the Nexus, the right before release the Charge got gingerbread. The Charge is now really a great device that is working flawlessly. I keep thinking Verizon will release a new phone with everything working, but not yet. The Charge dropping 4G constantly was fixed for me with the update, so not ready to start over with a new phone and wait for an update. Also the fact that Swype doesn't work yet and Verizon's own NFL app doesn't work yet is stupid and a deal breaker for me.
    12-21-2011 03:56 PM
    I'm one of the first adapters to the GN and coming from the charge I was very dissapointed with the signal and dropped data on the GN my Charge wasn't the greatest but where I get 4g on the charge I can't even get 3g on the Gn. Then there is the Facebook sync issue the GN will not allow you to sync your FB contacts. Then there is the keyboard it's about half the size of the Charge keyboard. Today I turned the GN off and turned my charge back on. Those issues were enough for me to switch back. ICS is nice but the data issue the fb sync and keyboard. I really wanted to like the GN but if it doesn't do what I want I'm not keeping it.
    12-21-2011 04:38 PM
    Check my post I just posted about this. Don't rush into getting the nexus I did and now I'm back to the charge.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    12-21-2011 10:55 PM
    I bought the Nexus not necessarily for a hardware upgrade, but so that I could expect (and receive) more timely updates. The ICS UI is nice, but what I look forward to the most is getting updates more quickly.

edit- Oh and also for a GPS that actually works, the GB update didn't fix my Charge's GPS one bit.
    12-22-2011 11:04 AM
    I bought the Nexus not necessarily for a hardware upgrade, but so that I could expect (and receive) more timely updates. The ICS UI is nice, but what I look forward to the most is getting updates more quickly.

edit- Oh and also for a GPS that actually works, the GB update didn't fix my Charge's GPS one bit.
    Not to mention the huge developer support already just a short week after the phone release. There are more custom roms than the charge ever had. It's sad the charge dev scene is practically dead. Plus the few that the charge had will probably move to the Nexus.
    12-22-2011 11:13 AM
    The lack of developer action on the charge is the only real downside. Lesson learned, but it's certainly not a bad phone... if they ever get this GPS thing straightened out.
    12-22-2011 12:32 PM
    I bit the bullet and bought a Galaxy Nexus. I love it. It's lighter, faster, and more responsive than the Charge. ICS is powerful and flexible. Battery life is pretty good too. Even with Roboto, the ICS keyboard, and ADW Launcher EX, the Charge just feels sluggish compared to the Nexus.

Honestly, I'm very frustrated at Verizon and Samsung regarding the Charge. They release a Droid-branded phone (which is supposed to be reserved for this high end phones), but drag their heels getting Gingerbread out for it. There's still no word about ICS, but given the similarities with the Charge and the Galaxy S (same CPU/GPU, same amount of RAM), I'm dubious that the Charge will get ICS. At best, it might get the lame "value pack" that Samsung is offering as the booby prize. This is unacceptable for a high-end $300 device.

I learned my lesson -- it's Nexus only for me from now on.
    01-01-2012 11:06 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD