Junk aps factory installed

MaxBuck2

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
First, if you don't use the extraneous apps they don't drain your battery. Apps not in use have no effect on battery life.

Second, most people don't have a problem with memory space occupied by apps; if you do, try an app like Apps2SD to move as many as possible to the SD card. With 32GB of space there, it can accommodate about as many apps as anyone is likely to want.

Finally, if you just don't like seeing "Let's Golf" or "VCast Movies" show up in your apps list, I highly recommend using GoLauncher, which allows you to hide apps from your apps list that you have no intention of ever using.

Rooting your phone can be extremely dangerous (I rendered my phone completely unusable by rooting and flashing, and I have a master's degree in engineering), and rooting in order to accomplish what you want to is like using a sledgehammer to kill flies.

Also, if you have a problem with battery life now, you will have much more of one (based on my experience) after you root and flash to a custom ROM. The Verizon people have developed a very stable and usable ROM for this phone, and a bunch of hobbyists are responsible for the custom ROMs you can find on places like xda-developers. Smart guys, but resource-limited. So they have inevitable shortcomings along with some advantages.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Apps running in the background have a negative impact on the phones operation IMO. You can see it when the memory has next to nothing left. Probably depends on what you do with your phone though.

Go Launcher or ADW will hide the apps you don't want to see as mentioned above. This method should work fine for most people. I don't see the need to have all the junk apps on the phone if I am not using them though. Just rooting and using Titanium backup to freeze apps works fine for me. You don't have to load a rom when you root the phone. Rom's for the Charge are not that great IMO and really just get rid of unwanted apps.

You do run a risk when rooting but it is by no means hard to do. There are a few how to's on what to do.

MaxBuck2

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Apps running in the background have a negative impact on the phones operation IMO.
Oh, you're right, they sure do. But if you regard the app as "junk" it's unlikely you would have started it up, it seems to me.

The fact an app is on your phone doesn't mean that it is "running in the background."

W_A_Watson_II

Jun 21, 2011
wawii.com
First, if you don't use the extraneous apps they don't drain your battery. Apps not in use have no effect on battery life.

I don't use them, but the damn phone keeps launching them and they are slowing down the phones response dramatically! If I kill them the phone runs great. In the past month I've had more and more problems with the apps running themselves in the background, one I've never even used!

Battery life sucks, but I think the Verizion phone is the biggest drain, followed quickly by these crappy apps.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Oh, you're right, they sure do. But if you regard the app as "junk" it's unlikely you would have started it up, it seems to me.

The fact an app is on your phone doesn't mean that it is "running in the background."

If you run Go Launcher, go into the running apps tab and tell me they are not running. The thing is that they are running and I did not launch them. For some people, it might not matter but I use my phone for work and play and I don't need apps using ram when I did not launch them.

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how to get rid of all these apps which I'll never use
They're draining my battery at a rapid rate

shoot fire just go to market,, download a app named "root unistaller" and throw out the junkers ie: lets golf.. now theres a rip off app.. 10 bucks a mth.. and Verizon being as customer oriented as they are will only refund you one time.. after that you are stuck with that sucker app and all it takes is one click.. and yer in the door no way out..

so Root that ph.. DL... "root uninstaller" its "free" and dunk the junk...

clodfelterac

Samurai Dev
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Root w gingerbreak... if that doesn't work try super1click... both are very simple and noob friendly... once rooted download system toolbox from market... its free... use it to remove system apps that you don't want... just make sure not to remo e anything revelant to the phones is or any features you may want to use later... make a nandroid backup before uninstalling just in case... by the way... rooting and installing a custom recovery and custom rom/kernel will speed up phone regardless so definately look into that... hope this helps...

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Use Odin and install recovery. Put superuser on your phone and install it in CW recovery before letting the phone boot. That is all that is needed to root. There were no good one click methods when I started doing it. There is a nice simple write up in the Dev. Rom forum here with links and everything.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Nope. No guarantee of this at all.

Guarantee? No Most likely, yes. There are a ton of tweaks in the kernels that make things faster. Heck even without being rooted use the tweaks in Launcher pro and see how much more responsive things get. Then add in more tweaks from something like TSM parts and things will fly.

The risk/reward formula for this one is a no brainer, provided you do all the homework and follow all the steps.

chris mart

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I think you are talking pre loaded/ installed apps, when you purchasing your phone. If so, you need root permission for uninstall them. If you root your phone in warranty period then some countries consider it as a violation of warranty term and conditions.

MaxBuck2

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The risk/reward formula for this one is a no brainer, provided you do all the homework and follow all the steps.
Absolutely inconsistent with my experience with my rooted, custom-ROMed phone.

1. Custom ROM had much more problematic Bluetooth performance. Now that I'm back to stock, I'm amazed how well the phone works with my car's Bluetooth system; it didn't at all when rooted.

2. Custom ROM consumed battery power probably twice as rapidly - which makes the whole argument of "bloatware running down my battery" seem pretty silly.

3. I personally had more force-close situations when rooted; in other words, applications were less stable.

I don't claim that rooting to a custom ROM has no benefits, but the constant drone that "it's better in every way to root" really annoys me, because it's BS.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
By all accounts you had a crappy experience with your root. I have no idea as to why, because it could have been a few things.

Personally, my bluetooth is fine, my battery life is MUCH better and I have no fc's.

Something happened with you flash job. You experience is in no way normal.

Think about it. If stock were the best way to go, why would custom roms even exsist? You could just root and leave everything else as is.,.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

MaxBuck2

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
If stock were the best way to go, why would custom roms even exsist?
I think custom ROMs exist for the following reasons:

1. Many people find it fun to screw around and customize their phones extensively. No problem with that; reminds me a little of kids who customized their cars when I was young (many years ago, sadly ...). This is, in my opinion, the single biggest reason - it can be fun.

2. Certain things are unquestionably made easier by rooting to custom ROMs, including "free tethering" to avoid paying Verizon an extra fee for using your phone as a wireless Internet router.

3. Backup of application data is easier with a rooted phone.

4. For some people, maybe those who use their phones extensively for games, there are no doubt other advantages provided by the custom ROMs that I'm completely unaware of. I don't play games on my phone, though I sure don't look down my nose at those who do.

Again, my phone usage is likely different from yours, which is in turn different from person "C." I don't claim that rooting and flashing a new ROM is necessarily a bad idea for anyone; but it isn't a good idea for everyone, especially given the risks. And I find it hard to believe that I'm alone in the world in discovering that rooting created way more problems than it solved.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree with you, rooting/rom'ing is not for everyone. It can be a pain and it can cause issues. Not all of them are user issues. Sometimes it is as simple as a bad download.

Some things I want to point out. 2, 3 and 4 on your list do not require a custom ROM. Just root and IMHO adding root to your phone is a lot "safer" than adding a ROM. All you are messing with there is the Kernel and not system files/radios.

A bunch of the speed tweaks are built into the kernel as well. is it the end all of the speed tweaks? No there are some cooked into the ROM but you can get a bit of a boost just from the kernel.

Now on point one, I do agree to a point and your analogy is pretty accurate. I don't just do it because I can or to play around. I do it to get my phone looking and acting the way I want it to. Tweakstock with MNML theme is perfect for me, at least until ICS starts hitting the forums.

To continue your analogy, Yeah i had a lot of fun tinkering with my car but at some point you achieve perfection and just show it off....

PS: I can tether, but usually don't unless I get in a pinch. Not the real reason I am rooted. I also think that the ability to backup all your APKs AND data should be a standard that doesnt require root. Kinda pisses me off that you have to root to get that ability.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
There are two apps (Rhapsody and Slacker) that I never use yet they insist on running both a process and a service. I have repeatedly killed them using Settings (they dont show in Task Manager) but like a nasty virus they just restart themselves. So yeah they do take up system reaources.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci