Disabling screen capture

naknekm

May 19, 2011
Visit site
My droid charge keeps randomly taking screen captures. for example when I take it out of its case, it often captures the screen.

Is there a way to disable this? I have searched the forums here and the net, and can't find an answer. any help would be appreciated.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem, and no there is no easy way to stop it except to change your unholstering practices. it is a two finger combination so moving one finger or the other slightly will do the trick...

sorry i dont have a better solution for you

bmann

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
It seemed to be caused by hitting the two middle buttons at the bottom of the screen simultaneously, good luck trying to avoid them!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
lol....ok so i went on a mission to find out how to exactly take a capture. several websites have it done differently....none of them worked for me...I am kinda thinking it is "broken" with tweakstock....lol

naknekm

May 19, 2011
Visit site
So, is there no way to turn off the screen capture then? Almost everytime I slide it out of the holster it does a screen capture and I am sick of it.

tgbyhnujm

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Piizzadude,

I first saw this on another forum but had to modify it some so it would work every time.? If
the problem is that when you take a screen shot the screen goes BACK to the previous
screen BEFORE the screen shot is captured and therefore you get a screen shot of the
wrong screen, this will fix that problem.

When you have the screen you want to capture PULL DOWN THE NOTIFICATION
SCREEN.? Then you press the Back button (keep holding it down) and QUICKLY press and
release the Home button while still holding down the Back button.? Your phone will remove
the notification screen and capture the screen you wanted to capture but remember to keep
holding down the Back button until you hear the clicking sound of the screen capture itself.

Let me know if this helps.

JerryF

Chimpoid

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
So has anybody figured out how to disable screen capture on a Droid Charge?

It takes a snapshot about once every 15 minutes I am using it. This seems to be related to the CPU locking up as it does something, and button press/release timing is thus exaggerated.

It wouldn't be so bad but it makes that damned photograph sound when it does that. I either look like a perv or look like I'm stealing secrets at work.

So I want to get rid of this unused monstrosity.

It occurs to me I could delete the snapshot sound, too, if that's possible.

Last edited:

GW_TX

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
" I either look like a perv or look like I'm stealing secrets at work.".....LOL...I have to laugh visualizing either of these and the looks you might get. I came looking for the same answer and there doesn't seem to be one. I am tired of the frickin' "inadvertent" screen shots as well. Looks like the only solution is to get a different phone. Other than the battery life, which I resolved by getting an aftermarket extended-life, this is about my only complaint. I can guarantee you I will do more research before dropping the cash on my next. If you found a solution please post.

Chimpoid

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
My early pre-2 year upgrade option is in March, I want to get a Galaxy S IV, but maybe I will tough it out until the end of August when the 2 years proper is up and get it from somewhere besides Verizon. :(

With no apps open, I am using 244/373 meg of RAM (shouldn't that be 384? Another mystery) which makes browser close whenever I open some other app, thus I lose any edits in progress on web sites :(

Chimpoid

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
OH MY GOD.

I tried a trick -- I have been removing the "ScreenCaptures" directory, but it just re-creates it. So I deleted it and created a file, not a directory, with that name, hoping to make it choke.

Well, it chokes, but it does not solve my problem. It still takes the capture stuipdly all the time but then says "Cannot store" or something like that, I forget exact.

So basically, it still takes the snapshot, complete with loud, "You are a pervert taking sly pictures of female coworkers or are a thief taking pictures of trade secrets" CLA-CLICK!.

As deleting the photos was about 1/10th of the irritation factor, my problem is 1/10th solved.

Maracote2001

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
Idk what kind of phone you have but on my cubot x9 there is a built in app called Gesture Controle. If you go into it and pick Screen On Gesture you can turn off the screen shots. Also if you go into settings there is a Gesture Controle option that you can do the bacicaly the same thing.
:)

Jul 18, 2018
Visit site
I found a solution of this automatic screen capture, we can accessibility option in settings and disable shake screen shot option from there.

Thank you every one and give me response if problem solved or any other better way is there.

Deepak
mail me (mod Note, please do not post your email address on this public forum)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake Baker1

Jul 26, 2018
Visit site
My droid charge keeps randomly taking screen captures. for example when I take it out of its case, it often captures the screen.

Is there a way to disable this? I have searched the forums here and the net, and can't find an answer. any help would be appreciated.

On my Samsung s3 KitKat:

Go-to Settings>Motion>Hand Motions

Then disable "Palm swipe to capture".

Rhyanna15

Nov 9, 2019
Visit site
WOW, now that's a great tip and a fix to the problems I've had taking screen captures. :D

I have had this problem for months , it does become annoying the way I solved this problem , I was confused on how this was happening , each time my finger would slide across the power button in the back wala a screenshot .
So I am thinking my fingerprint is doing this , after removing the fingerprint it doesn't seem to capture screen shots any longer that maybe your problem too , just thought I would add this to help out .
Cause I came here looking for help and after reading some material I think I have figured it out hopefully .

Rhyanna15

Nov 9, 2019
Visit site
Wrong , no sorry disabling or deleting your fingerprint doesn't work , I suppose I can get use to it for now till I figure out how to disable the power button from snapping Screen shots , or someone else has any answers ?
Holding the back button and pressing the home button once didn't work for me .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you talking about the ancient Droid Charge (which is where this thread was originally posted), or a more modern phone?