Yep thinking of going to the darkside

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
If you don't mind, a few questions:
Is tweakstock the ICS rom for the Charge?
Does your Charge handle it well? (I'm worried about our lack of a full gig of ram)
Do you think it would make my phone more compatible with Ford Sync's bluetooth and text messaging systems?

(edit: just re-read your post. I understand tweakstock is gingerbread, not ICS. ignore that part)

Thanks,
Rich

Tweakstock is actually based off the original Samsung/Verizon ROM for the Charge. It's debloated (all bloat apps removed).
Has a different (superior) color scheme that extends to many apps.
It has a few added options like no lock screen, shortcut options on the drop down menu and so much more.
And of course root status (Titanium Back Up Pro is a must!).

Think of Tweakstock as the Samsung ROM only it's had a serious work out and now it's stronger, faster, prettier and more fit than ever. As for Ford Sync, I have no idea, you can try asking on XDA.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I have a Galaxy nexus and yet I sit with 4.02 with random reboots, and call quality issues. My mic cuts out mid call. So I have had a lot of Android phones including the charge, I to thought it was just skinned Android that sucked. It's the whole Android os that lacks polish and needs to be rebuilt from scratch. Every android phone I'm waiting for updates to fix lots of game breaking problems. I will go to the iPhone after this, because I want a phone that actually works. The nexus is a joke. I'm typing this from it right now, go ahead and get a nexus and you all will see it's not the god phone you all hope it will be. Android is broken. I say this from owing five android phones, so it's not like I haven't given them a chance.

jackchaos

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I wrestled with this for quite some time and last week I traded a guy my Charge + $30 for his 16GB iphone 4 with an Otter box and a car charger.

The 3g and smaller screen are a step back for sure. The iphone is a great telephone though. Perhaps the best cellular telephone I've ever had. I can hear people and they can hear me better than ever. Massive improvement over how my Charge acted.

The gmail experience is not near as user friendly and it seems you can only have one gmail acct in the gmail app. The native iphone mail app also works with gmail albeit differently than the gmail app. It seems almost all of the apps I had on my Charge are in the apple app store.

Lots of things just work differently compared to either of the Android phones I've had (a Fascinate and a Charge).

I just upgraded it the os to 5.1 ... big difference in speed compared to what ever the stock OS was.

Bottom line though is that it just works ... unlike my Charge.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
To bad smh 3inch screen lol iOS lol wooow what an upgrade lol I bet your iPhone isn't better than my ics rommed nexus s in any category not even battery but to each they own

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Well... you used the double negative version: You didn't disagree with me. And for that... you must die! ;-)

I think you're premature on your iPad over Android tablet announcement. iPad has a distinct advantage at the moment. They don't have anyone to compete against.

Let's be honest. The Android tablet market stepped on there you-know-what. The real kickoff was late 2010 with the 7inch Galaxy Tab, based on a phone-only OS. Ouch! Then came the supposed game changer... the XOOM with Honeycomb. Double Ouch!!! Honeycomb was awful! It was hard to love, even for the Android fan-boys.

Even today, the official ICS OTA upgrade IS STILL NOT OUT for the XOOM!!! Worse, when you go to the Motorola site, they don't even list a date for the 4G XOOM to get ICS!

Luckily, there are a few developer ICS ROMs out there for those of us with 4G XOOMs. I'm running the Eos ICS ROM and loving it. The tablet is finally complete!!! Awesome... just awesome.

IMHO, ICS is the first true Android tablet OS that "just works" and can truly compete and beat iPad. The trouble is most Android tablets don't even have it yet.

Once the Tablet playing field actually has two players on it, then we can start discussing which is being adopted.

Even with only one player on the field, I don't see enterprise running toward iPad. I see them waiting for someone to answer their needs. iOS doesn't. Android can, but essentially hasn't yet and people are wary of the new promises of ICS. These are promises they've heard before.

My sector (semi makers) don't use iProducts. We overwhelmingly use Android. Our teenage daughters use iProducts. ;-) My company, in particular, will not allow iProducts on our net. They are not secure. Apple insists on controlling everything, including the levels of possible security/encryption their devices are capable of. This makes iProducts and non-starter for our industry. Of course, there may be some exceptions in my industry (don't know of any, but nothing is 100%). I travel for work visiting our clients, about 75 hotel nights per year. I meet with a lot of electronics companies. More than you can shake a stick at... and I'm sure you can shake a stick at many things. ;-) The overwhelming majority of the engineers and managers I meet in the electronics sector are Android based.

I've got to believe if your infoworld writer would have polled more than 400 people and included people from all sectors, his data would be quite different.

If you follow the World Wide Market numbers, you may have noticed that Apple no longer separately reports iPhones and iPads. They now include iPod Touch to bolster their numbers. They were shamed by the fact that the Android OS now controls more than 50% of the World Wide Mobile Phone and Tablet OS market with an incredibly steep growth slope. In contrast, Apple's percentage of the WW market has struggled to stay in the upper teens and has been flat, flat, flat! Adding the iPod touch turns the data into crap, IMHO. Heck everyone has an iPod Touch. It's the only game in town in that space. But it's not a phone. It's not a tablet. It's really just a toy.

A little more reading for ya...

iPad owns 96% of enterprise market and iPhone share climbs to 53%, study finds

Survey: Android programmers shifting toward Web apps | Deep Tech - CNET News

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I just want to know how long it takes you to find these lopsided articles. ;-)

I don't have to point to anything in particular. Just do a straight Google search on "Android Worldwide Market"... no searching and searching until you find what you want. Just look at the top returns.

Android owns about 50% of the Worldwide mobile phone market. iOS is stuck in the teens.

"Devices based on iOS accounted for 15% of the third quarter of 2011 smartphone sales, down from a 16.6% market share in the third quarter of 2010" These are real market numbers, accepted by the industry. These numbers are the reason Apple stopped reporting phone sales and now report a combined number of iPhones and iPods. LOL!!! That's OK... with as many activations as Android has, it won't be long before that combined number falls too. ;-)

I don't get it. You are purposely seeking out Apple fan-boy garbage data. Why? What's the point?

Last edited:

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I just want to know how long it takes you to find these lopsided articles. ;-)

I don't have to point to anything in particular. Just do a straight Google search on "Android Worldwide Market"... no searching and searching until you find what you want. Just look at the top returns.

Android owns about 50% of the Worldwide mobile phone market. iOS is stuck in the teens.

"Devices based on iOS accounted for 15% of the third quarter of 2011 smartphone sales, down from a 16.6% market share in the third quarter of 2010" These are real market numbers, accepted by the industry. These numbers are the reason Apple stopped reporting phone sales and now report a combined number of iPhones and iPods. LOL!!! That's OK... with as many activations as Android has, it won't be long before that combined number falls too. ;-)

I don't get it. You are purposely seeking out Apple fan-boy garbage data. Why? What's the point?

You're a trip, man. I admire your enthusiasm and love of all things Android, but there are other opinions out there...to each his own, different strokes for different folks. My point all along has never been about handheld device marketshare, that's a given that Android rules there. It's called market saturation. There are a lot of numbers out there, and you can research and present them in lots of different ways. That's the only reason I posted what I did. It took me zero time to find what I posted, I get these from my Twitter feed, among other sources of data I get constantly (I research and purchase technology products for a living for a major University/Research Enterprise). I don't take any of these articles or surveys as fact. A sharp person knows how to digest all of this information and get a good picture of the reality. The trend is that iOS is not declining, it is on the rise, in particular in tablets and with developers working on applications for enterprises like Healthcare, Hospitals, Universities, Retail, Airlines and pilots, etc. That's the main point I am making. People work differently these days, at the office and at home. Just because someone is used to doing things a certain way does not mean that's the only way it can be done. The misconception that "real work" can only be done on "real" computers or non-iOS devices is changing, rapidly. Not everyone works the way you work. But you have found what works for you, and that's great. Doesn't mean it is the only answer for everyone else. ;)

By the way, I don't use an iPhone (boring, but I am very tied into iTunes, so at some point I may just say what the heck and get an iPhone for simplicity) and I have never had an iPad (no real need for one), and I have never owned a Mac product. I have, however, had an iPod from day one (hence the reason I am heavily tied into iTunes). I've had 3 Android phones, have rooted and customized each of them every which way from here to China and back. I use what I like and what works for me, that's all there is to it. When I finally get around to buying a tablet, I will most likely buy an iPad for use mainly as a media device, but I like their media creation apps and possibilities as well, and the screen is pretty amazing. And I am also about to get a Kindle Fire, mainly for my son to play games. They are cheap, a good size for his little toddler hands, and I like how it is tied in so well with Amazon and their services (not unlike Apple and it's services for iOS devices). The first thing I will do is root it and customize it, since I plan on using it as well, and so does my wife, and we want to have a device that will "just work". :p

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You're a trip, man. I admire your enthusiasm and love of all things Android, but there are other opinions out there...to each his own, different strokes for different folks. My point all along has never been about handheld device marketshare, that's a given that Android rules there. It's called market saturation. There are a lot of numbers out there, and you can research and present them in lots of different ways. That's the only reason I posted what I did. It took me zero time to find what I posted, I get these from my Twitter feed, among other sources of data I get constantly (I research and purchase technology products for a living for a major University/Research Enterprise). I don't take any of these articles or surveys as fact. A sharp person knows how to digest all of this information and get a good picture of the reality. The trend is that iOS is not declining, it is on the rise, in particular in tablets and with developers working on applications for enterprises like Healthcare, Hospitals, Universities, Retail, Airlines and pilots, etc. That's the main point I am making. People work differently these days, at the office and at home. Just because someone is used to doing things a certain way does not mean that's the only way it can be done. The misconception that "real work" can only be done on "real" computers or non-iOS devices is changing, rapidly. Not everyone works the way you work. But you have found what works for you, and that's great. Doesn't mean it is the only answer for everyone else. ;)

By the way, I don't use an iPhone (boring, but I am very tied into iTunes, so at some point I may just say what the heck and get an iPhone for simplicity) and I have never had an iPad (no real need for one), and I have never owned a Mac product. I have, however, had an iPod from day one (hence the reason I am heavily tied into iTunes). I've had 3 Android phones, have rooted and customized each of them every which way from here to China and back. I use what I like and what works for me, that's all there is to it. When I finally get around to buying a tablet, I will most likely buy an iPad for use mainly as a media device, but I like their media creation apps and possibilities as well, and the screen is pretty amazing. And I am also about to get a Kindle Fire, mainly for my son to play games. They are cheap, a good size for his little toddler hands, and I like how it is tied in so well with Amazon and their services (not unlike Apple and it's services for iOS devices). The first thing I will do is root it and customize it, since I plan on using it as well, and so does my wife, and we want to have a device that will "just work". :p
A lot to address here. ;-)

I never said iOS was declining. I implied it was essentially stagnant with respect to market share. They have been locked in in the mid teens, going up and down by a couple/few points like a sine wave for 18 months now. Android on the other hand is hitting the ball out of the park. The slope of their market share growth is incredibly impressive and sustained for years. There are over one million activation's per day now! BTW, the only thing that Google counts as an activation is a brand new device being activated for its very first time. Apple stopped reporting their activation rate. :)

Now let me get this straight. On one hand you're claiming that Apple controls well over 90% of the enterprise usage. On the other hand you admit that they are stuck in the percentage teens of mobile OS adoption. Both can't be right. It would be statistically ridiculous. As "a sharp person" I'm surprised you wouldn't catch this.

I think you are in a good position speaking about the medical sector being predominantly iOS, but you tread on thin ice when you start spouting about other sectors. You mentioned aviation. This is something I know about. I've been a private pilot (fixed wing and rotary) for well over two decades. I own a Cherokee Six. It is a seven seater, very similar to the plane John John Kennedy died in. I am commercial rated in fixed. IFR in both. I'm not a professional pilot, but I've got more professional pilot buddies than I can shake a stick at. And I can shake a stick at a lot of people. ;-) We're all Android... all of us. I'd be really hard pressed to come up with a single pilot friend using an iPhone, much less an iPad, but that may be just the company I keep. More importantly, why would you cite aviataion? We rarely use anything like this for flying. It really doesn't fit. Sure, there are apps all over the place, but they are essentially for beginner pilots / newbies, or written by newbies to help them with flight planning. Our logs are paper. When we train, they need to be signed by a CFI. The instrument panel has everything we need for navigation. I use my phone to get pre-flight weather, but when I even remotely believe I'll see IMC, I'm on a voice call. Any pilot that isn't shouldn't be flying. In flight, we're talking... getting PIREPs, etc... No... there is little need nor place for mobile electronics in aviation.

I'm sure you can find the iPhone in the back cabin. I'm sure the flight attendants love them. :) And I'll have to admit there are probably a percentage of pilots with iProducts. Again, Apple does command 15% of the market. Somebody has to have them. ;-)

Getting your data from tweets makes a lot of sense. It's clear you're getting fed from Apple fanboy sources, because the stuff you point at doesn't come up in searches. They seem like obscure fanboy articles.

Last edited:

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Interesting tidbit sent to me by a friend:

Forbes: Do iOS Apps Crash More Than Android Apps? A Data Dive

"The Apple iOS operating system app crashes accounted for more of the app crashes in Crittercism?s data than did Android-based phones ... iOS accounted for close to three-fourths of the app crashes, with Android making up the rest."

Do iOS Apps Crash More Than Android Apps? A Data Dive - Forbes

Puts a new spin on "It just works" doesn't it? iPhone may "just work", but apparently it doesn't work as well as an Android. ;-)

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
You know what? I use an IPhone 4S and I can say this as its advantages:

1. Better battery life compared to high end Android phones for sure

2. Far greater range of apps

3. More polished experience overall

Disadvantages:

1.Mobile web is atrocious to say the least, don't believe the hype for Safari, crap

2. Limited connectivity for office based files

3. Limited seamlessness between apps

4. Limited customisation capabilities

So, really, if you are even into this kind of across the board inclusivity get an Android, no-in-between.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Interesting tidbit sent to me by a friend:

Puts a new spin on "It just works" doesn't it? iPhone may "just work", but apparently it doesn't work as well as an Android. ;-)

No. The article was the author's opinion based on one month of data from a company called Crittercism...hardly a well known source, and a bit skewed in their motivation perhaps...

"Crittercism, (a startup company) which is backed by Google Ventures, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (KPCB), AngelPad, AOL Ventures, Opus Capital and Shasta Ventures, provides crash reporting to app developers."

KPCB specializes in investments in incubation and early stage companies.[5] Since 1972, KPCB has supported hundreds of entrepreneurs in building over 475 companies, including such major names as Amazon.com, Sun Microsystems, Electronic Arts, Genentech, Intuit, AOL, Genomic Health, Verisign, InMobi and Google.

AngelPad is a mentorship program founded by a team of ex-Googlers to help technology startups build better products, attract seed funding and grow more successful businesses.

Mr. Richard Dalzell (senior member of AOL Board of Directors) was Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer of Amazon.com, Inc

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The darkside chkooooooooo kahhhhhhhhhh chkooooooo kahhhhhhhhh! Ha ha, kidding aside, both platforms are good but offer a different experience. I have run them both extensively, for me, iOS just runs hotter quarter miles and the pit crew is always there. If you advocate your knowledge on iOS or Android you will learn you can get about anything you want from both OS. It comes down to hardware IMO, get good hardware and be set. I think Winows on some premium hardware is becoming something to desire. Many people have a PC and run windows. Get a platform that works with the technology in your house, why not have superior integration rather than running several OS at different points? That's what I would do, run an OS that streamlines my life so I can go play. iPhone 5? Yes please! It's all about the finished product!

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
No. The article was the author's opinion based on one month of data from a company called Crittercism...hardly a well known source, and a bit skewed in their motivation perhaps...

"Crittercism, (a startup company) which is backed by Google Ventures, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (KPCB), AngelPad, AOL Ventures, Opus Capital and Shasta Ventures, provides crash reporting to app developers."

KPCB specializes in investments in incubation and early stage companies.[5] Since 1972, KPCB has supported hundreds of entrepreneurs in building over 475 companies, including such major names as Amazon.com, Sun Microsystems, Electronic Arts, Genentech, Intuit, AOL, Genomic Health, Verisign, InMobi and Google.

AngelPad is a mentorship program founded by a team of ex-Googlers to help technology startups build better products, attract seed funding and grow more successful businesses.

Mr. Richard Dalzell (senior member of AOL Board of Directors) was Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer of Amazon.com, Inc

I just love your denials. :cool: How can you post pro-apple opinion articles from a pro-Apple twitter feed... articles that are just about impossible to find using a straight web search, then accuse these guys of making up their data? You don't see the hypocrisy in that? Forbes is reporting on *data*, it's not an "opinion" piece. It would be valid to question the context and methods for collecting that data, but you can't call it opinion.

I thought you said you were involved in research? You completely missed (or intentionally/conveniently left out) the strong ties some of these investment companies have with Apple. As an example, your biggest paragraph is slamming KPCB. How the heck did you miss iFund?!?! ...an investment pool, in partnership with Apple, aimed at young companies working with iPhones, iPads and iPods. :-$ Seriously? You're accusing KPCB of being Android fanboys?! Maybe you want to do some more research and rethink that? Huh? ;-)

The data isn't bogus and doesn't become "opinion" just because you don't like what it reveals.

It's always a flawed assumption that investment companies would force their investees to fudge results. Those investment companies want/need Crittercism to be recognized for offering a valued, unbiased, service to the developer world. That's the only way they get an ROI. They are not going to pump millions of dollars into one company just so they can bolster another (especially when a company like Google doesn't need any bolstering at all!!!).

Last edited:

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The darkside chkooooooooo kahhhhhhhhhh chkooooooo kahhhhhhhhh! Ha ha, kidding aside, both platforms are good but offer a different experience. I have run them both extensively, for me, iOS just runs hotter quarter miles and the pit crew is always there. If you advocate your knowledge on iOS or Android you will learn you can get about anything you want from both OS. It comes down to hardware IMO, get good hardware and be set. I think Winows on some premium hardware is becoming something to desire. Many people have a PC and run windows. Get a platform that works with the technology in your house, why not have superior integration rather than running several OS at different points? That's what I would do, run an OS that streamlines my life so I can go play. iPhone 5? Yes please! It's all about the finished product!

Yeah... if truth be told, the differences between iOS and Android on the phone level are akin to the differences between plain vanilla and Rocky Road ice creams. Some people really like the pure taste of vanilla. Others want the textures and complimentary tastes of Rocky Road. I'm a Chunky Monkey man myself. ;-)

But when it comes down to it, most phones are used for calls, messaging and the occasional app. Once in the app, the OS that got you there is a footnote.

Of course, if you drive a lot and need a GPS, Android is the hands down phone winner, but I'm sure someone can think of an equally useful and powerful tool on iOS, like cut the rope or angry birds or something. :p

Where Android and iOS really depart for me is in the tablet-for-enterprise environment. When in a meeting, I might need to have a presentation, document, spreadsheet, .pdf, all available to me at the same time. The multitasking capabilities of ICS is great for that... allowing me to dynamically switch from one to another to another... like Windows on a PC. I want my data arranged in a familiar file system. I want to find a file, click on it and have it open automatically in the appropriate app, just like on my notebook. It's in this context I find Android shines brightest... the general ability to use it like a notebook computer.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah... if truth be told, the differences between iOS and Android on the phone level are akin to the differences between plain vanilla and Rocky Road ice creams. Some people really like the pure taste of vanilla. Others want the textures and complimentary tastes of Rocky Road. I'm a Chunky Monkey man myself. ;-)

But when it comes down to it, most phones are used for calls, messaging and the occasional app. Once in the app, the OS that got you there is a footnote.

Of course, if you drive a lot and need a GPS, Android is the hands down phone winner, but I'm sure someone can think of an equally useful and powerful tool on iOS, like cut the rope or angry birds or something. :p

Where Android and iOS really depart for me is in the tablet-for-enterprise environment. When in a meeting, I might need to have a presentation, document, spreadsheet, .pdf, all available to me at the same time. The multitasking capabilities of ICS is great for that... allowing me to dynamically switch from one to another to another... like Windows on a PC. I want my data arranged in a familiar file system. I want to find a file, click on it and have it open automatically in the appropriate app, just like on my notebook. It's in this context I find Android shines brightest... the general ability to use it like a notebook computer.
Love the iOS vs Android argument.....love it, good for us. Google navigation, something I used to proclaim the best is trumped by free apps in Apples market. That google nav lady sounds like she is crying and sad, and googles directions suck. Sorry man. Map quest free in iOS just trumps google Nav so hard, she sounds healthy, will steer you in the right direction and let's you know when recalculating is taking place. Fin.

Really, nothing productive like that can happen on a tablet iOS? Both OS perform strong tasks. You make it sound like Apple CDS, can't do shiza. Fact is they both perform well and each have their strong points, but to argue one is so superior to the other is kinda naive don't you think?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech