Yep thinking of going to the darkside

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Really, nothing productive like that can happen on a tablet iOS? Both OS perform strong tasks. You make it sound like Apple CDS, can't do shiza. Fact is they both perform well and each have their strong points, but to argue one is so superior to the other is kinda naive don't you think?

Uh oh...you said an iOS product can be productive, and called him naive for thinking otherwise...you're a Fanboy, you're a Fanboy!! Quick, get him, get him Makai.Guy! (I know you only have a single speed bike from 1995, but don't let that stop you).

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Uh oh...you said an iOS product can be productive, and called him naive for thinking otherwise...you're a Fanboy, you're a Fanboy!! Quick, get him, get him Makai.Guy! (I know you only have a single speed bike from 1995, but don't let that stop you).

Seriously?

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It's the public perception, no one thinks Apple can do stuff...because frankly it can't do a few things an Android phone can do. Perceptions do tend to sweep across sometimes

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
It's the public perception, no one thinks Apple can do stuff...because frankly it can't do a few things an Android phone can do. Perceptions do tend to sweep across sometimes

Agreed 100%. I am a huge fan of Android, love my phone and all the customizations to make it do things almost exactly how I want it to do things. Can't do that with the iPhone as much, which is why I currently do not want one. But I find those sweeping perceptions that all thing iOS are awful and that nothing with iOS can possibly be productive for someone to be incredibly shallow and narrow minded. I do not see that type of attitude any differently than the Apple Fanboys who cheer all-things-Jobs to be magical and the only praise-worthy devices on the planet. It's all equally ridiculous.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Love the iOS vs Android argument.....love it, good for us. Google navigation, something I used to proclaim the best is trumped by free apps in Apples market. That google nav lady sounds like she is crying and sad, and googles directions suck. Sorry man. Map quest free in iOS just trumps google Nav so hard, she sounds healthy, will steer you in the right direction and let's you know when recalculating is taking place. Fin.

Really, nothing productive like that can happen on a tablet iOS? Both OS perform strong tasks. You make it sound like Apple CDS, can't do shiza. Fact is they both perform well and each have their strong points, but to argue one is so superior to the other is kinda naive don't you think?

Not naive.

It depends on how one uses the device. If you were a radiologist the iPad would be the better device... far and away... no contest. That's because electronic media radio-graphs use a proprietary format and the industry was wary of Android, just as the movie industry was wary. So there is no solution for viewing radio-graphs on an Android tablet... well... no "good" solution that can match with iPad.

The preference for the iPad and a radiologist's arguments for why it was better are not born out of naivet?. They are born out of personal usage and the experience it brings.

On the other hand, for what I do and how I use my tablet, an Android tablet does things best. These are general usage things, like the fundamental way I can navigate around my Android device... very similar to my notebook computer. I can have identical subdirectories set up. In fact, I do. Things an iPad would struggle with. Could you force an iPad into my kind of usage?... yeah, sure. Would it be nearly as comfortable an experience?... hell no!

Everyone thinks everyone else is like them. I'm a victim of that thinking too. We all are, for the most part. I think my preference reflects a "general" superiority of the Android OS and therefore would appeal to more users. So yeah... I think Android beats iOS at this point in time. But my opinion is not born out of ignorance or naivet?. It's born out of personal usage and the experience that brought me.

I am not a stranger to iOS. I owned the first three iPhones. I encounter people weekly using iPads and we have civil discussions about what features/capabilities we each like. From these encounters with iPad owners and other Android tablet owners, I find far more ignorance and naivet? about Android than I find from Android users about Apple.

I'd say it's kind of hard to be ignorant or naive about iOS5 in the world we live in. There is a near constant assault of advertising and Apple fan-boys wanting to tell how wonderful their device is... while they listen to absolutely nothing about Android.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Not naive.

It depends on how one uses the device. If you were a radiologist the iPad would be the better device... far and away... no contest. That's because electronic media radio-graphs use a proprietary format and the industry was wary of Android, just as the movie industry was wary. So there is no solution for viewing radio-graphs on an Android tablet... well... no "good" solution that can match with iPad.

The preference for the iPad and a radiologist's arguments for why it was better are not born out of naivet?. They are born out of personal usage and the experience it brings.

On the other hand, for what I do and how I use my tablet, an Android tablet does things best. These are general usage things, like the fundamental way I can navigate around my Android device... very similar to my notebook computer. I can have identical subdirectories set up. In fact, I do. Things an iPad would struggle with. Could you force an iPad into my kind of usage?... yeah, sure. Would it be nearly as comfortable an experience?... hell no!

Everyone thinks everyone else is like them. I'm a victim of that thinking too. We all are, for the most part. I think my preference reflects a "general" superiority of the Android OS and therefore would appeal to more users. So yeah... I think Android beats iOS at this point in time. But my opinion is not born out of ignorance or naivet?. It's born out of personal usage and the experience that brought me.

I am not a stranger to iOS. I owned the first three iPhones. I encounter people weekly using iPads and we have civil discussions about what features/capabilities we each like. From these encounters with iPad owners and other Android tablet owners, I find far more ignorance and naivet? about Android than I find from Android users about Apple.

I'd say it's kind of hard to be ignorant or naive about iOS5 in the world we live in. There is a near constant assault of advertising and Apple fan-boys wanting to tell how wonderful their device is... while they listen to absolutely nothing about Android.
I hear your point, android tabs and OS are better. You can feel that way:) For me I know using powerful software like keynote on a iPad for a presentation is by far superior. We agree to disagree:) I was a long time Android user, but iOS is just far quicker to integrate in my life. Not to long ago you had to convert power points to work on the galaxy tab. ICS has stepped up, and that is good. I like both platforms, but when you said android tablet for enterprise is the king of presentation and does it more dynamically I spit out my coffee and laughed so hard. Thank you;)

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
...fan-boys wanting to tell how wonderful their device is... while they listen to absolutely nothing about Android.

But this is exactly how you come across in these discussions, but from the other point of view. Despite a mountain of real world examples of people using their iPads for productive purposes, you simply dismiss all of it because they aren't doing things the way you want to do things...browse to a file in a directory. But times are changing, and not everyone works that way anymore, I hope you can at least acknowledge that to be true. If an app on an iPad can complete a task the user wants to complete, and it helps them get their job done, what difference does it make how they got it done? If a doctor can pull up his/her patients' chart, or a teacher can display his/her lesson for the day, a salesperson shows his/her presentation to a boardroom - all of these things done from an iPad...is this not real work getting done? I've personally witnessed every one of these things, and I'm sure a lot of other folks have, and there is plenty of info on the old intraweb to show this to be true. Are all of these people simply delusional teenage girls? Can Android tablets do the same things, and maybe a little more? Of course they can, I've never said anything to the contrary. But at least admit productivity is possible on devices other than Android.

And you continue to call me and others on here Apple Fanboys, despite another mountain of evidence to the contrary. You draw a line in the sand for everyone, and make everything Android vs. Apple, and you HAVE to be on one side or the other. And if not on your side, you dismiss the person as an Apple fanboy. It's kinda silly at this point, don't you think?

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I hear your point, android tabs and OS are better. You can feel that way:) For me I know using powerful software like keynote on a iPad for a presentation is by far superior. We agree to disagree:) I was a long time Android user, but iOS is just far quicker to integrate in my life. Not to long ago you had to convert power points to work on the galaxy tab. ICS has stepped up, and that is good. I like both platforms, but when you said android tablet for enterprise is the king of presentation and does it more dynamically I spit out my coffee and laughed so hard. Thank you;)

+1

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Sorry man. Map quest free in iOS just trumps google Nav so hard, she sounds healthy, will steer you in the right direction and let's you know when recalculating is taking place. Fin.

Just finished a quick eval of MapQuest. If you had nothing, this is good.

The immediate problem I see with it is it's not stitched together very well with the web. With Google navigation, I can put in the name of a business and it knows where it is... even if it's in another State.

For example, I searched on "Lutron" and MQ gave me a bunch of seemingly totally unrelated locations near were I am. It did not supply Lutron's HQ in Coopersburg, PA or it's dedicated showroom in Manhattan. Navigation did... and left out all the other useless references.

Also, MQ did not dive into my contacts list to provide navigation assistance to a friend's house.

Nor does it tell me if I'm close to anyone I share my location with.

Nor.... well... you get the picture.

Again, MQ is great if you had nothing else to rely on... like iPhoners. But for someone already on Android and tied into all the integrated location features/services/contacts, it's kind of a fail.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Well... maybe iOS5 can do stuff I'm not aware of?

My typical presentation scenario is an interactive .ppt presentation. We'll pour over some graphed data, then dive into the context, methods and sources. This will require quickly switching from presentation to spreadsheet, to document, to website, ....

I frequently need to dig up a reference file or data sheet from my own sub-directories.

The ability to switch back and forth needs to be quick and the sources change a lot during an hour or two meeting.

I need to keep my place in each of these, while we switch between the multiple sources.... always using the presentation to keep the meeting/conversation focused. I swear, everyone is ADD so digression is rampant! ;-)

The last time I seriously looked, Apple was unable to give me a solution to this situation... which in my mind, must be a very common situation in the business world.

If my I could just live in an app, like a radiologist would, I'm sure I'd feel differently.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
But this is exactly how you come across in these discussions, but from the other point of view. Despite a mountain of real world examples of people using their iPads for productive purposes, you simply dismiss all of it because they aren't doing things the way you want to do things...browse to a file in a directory. But times are changing, and not everyone works that way anymore, I hope you can at least acknowledge that to be true.
I'm beginning to suspect you don't read what I write very carefully.

I haven't "dismissed all of it." I have very clearly admitted iOS is the platform to be on for at least two groups of people... doctors and teenage girls! :cool:

If an app on an iPad can complete a task the user wants to complete, and it helps them get their job done, what difference does it make how they got it done? If a doctor can pull up his/her patients' chart, or a teacher can display his/her lesson for the day, a salesperson shows his/her presentation to a boardroom - all of these things done from an iPad...is this not real work getting done? I've personally witnessed every one of these things, and I'm sure a lot of other folks have, and there is plenty of info on the old intraweb to show this to be true. Are all of these people simply delusional teenage girls? Can Android tablets do the same things, and maybe a little more? Of course they can, I've never said anything to the contrary. But at least admit productivity is possible on devices other than Android.

I don't remember saying productivity is not possible on Apple. I remember saying my work is much more easily accomplished in Android. This time of data need/access is not changing in business. If anything the need to have multiple portals open is increasing, not decreasing. Sure, many people can live with a single app to do something, but IMHO, that's a minority of people. They currently put up with the hassles/limitations Apple has because it's essentially the only tablet game in town. The Android tablet makers... and Google... and NVIDIA... have stepped on their collective wieners and it will take John Q Public awhile to trust them again.

Yes, people can give presenations or show spreadsheets or, or, or with an iPad. But get into a real world "hashing through the data" type of mission and using an iPad becomes a headache real fast. It becomes time to put down the iPad and reach for a notebook computer way before that threshold is reached with Android.

And you continue to call me and others on here Apple Fanboys, despite another mountain of evidence to the contrary. You draw a line in the sand for everyone, and make everything Android vs. Apple, and you HAVE to be on one side or the other. And if not on your side, you dismiss the person as an Apple fanboy. It's kinda silly at this point, don't you think?

Um... er... "Apple fan-boy" is a term of endearment? Yeah! That's it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. It's a term of endearment. How dare you spurn my emotions so callously! I'm hurt... so very hurt.:'(

Last edited:

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I remember saying my work is much more easily accomplished in Android....But get into a real world "hashing through the data" type of mission and using an iPad becomes a headache real fast. It becomes time to put down the iPad and reach for a notebook computer way before that threshold is reached with Android.

Not everybody lives in your "real world". But I'm glad you are happy there. Work does not equal "hashing through the data" as a business person. Free your mind, the rest will follow. ;)

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Not everybody lives in your "real world". But I'm glad you are happy there. Work does not equal "hashing through the data" as a business person. Free your mind, the rest will follow. ;)
Au contraire, business is all about hashing through the data. Good business decisions are based on good intel, which in a large part, comes from thrashing data. I couldn't imagine it otherwise.

If you're *deciding* what to do... *deciding* which direction to take a product line... *deciding* which vendor to partner with... how do you do that without doing a detailed business analysis. Analysis, by definition is thrashing data.

Decisions don't get done by a lone cowboy who then simply presents a series of Powerpoint slides to the Board or a managing body saying "Listen up! This is what we will do!" No. People pitch what they think should be done, then dynamically defend/support the position with facts and gathered data... and trends... and specs... and... and...and... There is a lot of discussion and "what if" scenarios that have to be worked through.

Often the discussion takes a hard left turn and something previously thought to be inconsequential becomes important to know... and it needs to be known NOW... no time to go away and reconvene... NOW!

No my friend... business is all about multi-tasking and thrashing data. And this is where I find the iPad is an epic fail.

Unless you're in a position where you're simply told what to do and your job is to parrot that edict down to your team. Then, all you need is single presentation app.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
But you still insist anyone using an ipad for anything work related is either a radiologist or a teenage girl?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
But you still insist anyone using an ipad for anything work related is either a radiologist or a teenage girl?

I have never claimed teenage girls use the iPad for work related applications. O:)

Seriously, if you read what I write, you'd know I've said that iPads are used all the time for work. It's the only game in town right now. The number of iPads out in the wild absolutely eclipses the number of Android tablets. Of course people from all walks of life are trying to press them into business use.

My point has always been that pressing a iPad into an enterprise roll is, at very best, painful and that Android is far better suited for the enterprise environment. You have repeatedly countered with work examples which use a dedicated/specific app, which I have repeatedly rejected as being a good example of typical enterprise usage.

Then you gave up in frustration and I declared sweet victory, remember?

If your work only requires you to run one app, it doesn't really matter which kind of tablet you use. Once in the app, you're in the environment the developer created, not the OS. The OS is irrelevant at that point. The reason I use the radiologist example is because there is no professional app that displays radio-graphs on an Android tablet. At least none that I'm aware of. So that's why I say iPad is great for radiologists.

...radiologists and teenage girls. Those are the two groups for which iPad is absolutely perfect. ;-)

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
OK. Cool. Just wanted to see you say the same thing again. Brilliant. Now hop on that single speed and ride out of town whistling your one note tune. Later gator.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
This is silly, MaiKai.Guy doesn't know that mapquest is web integrated and knows business, and the local. I can do all those other things as well....i just know how to operate my OS and it does it all. There is an app for that! Bahaha, hilarious man. I can't take anything to serious on this thread because of the missinformation. Enjoy your Koolaid....keep it iced down a little, this summer will be hot. :p

I am so glad I know better, and what the dark side is ACTUALLY capable of.....I would love to argue and go back and forth....but frankly I have zero desire to do that with you. Glad your happy and work your OS the way it works for you. Just realize I can do all those things you say I can't. Remember I haven't knocked the Android OS, I like it. But facts are facts, and I doubt you own any iOS products because you don't seem to know what the OS CAN do.

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I love how this conversation went the way most rational conversations between I-anything and Android people go. Kinda funny to watch though.

The point of all this is simple. We like choice, some go the I-route, some go the Android route. TO each his own and whatever works for ya.

Personally I would never have an I-anything, I just prefer Android.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae