Yep thinking of going to the darkside

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
But you still insist anyone using an ipad for anything work related is either a radiologist or a teenage girl?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

And there is the strength and credit in that argument. For teenage girls and doctors.

Last edited:

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This is silly, MaiKai.Guy doesn't know that mapquest is web integrated and knows business, and the local. I can do all those other things as well....i just know how to operate my OS and it does it all. There is an app for that! Bahaha, hilarious man. I can't take anything to serious on this thread because of the missinformation. Enjoy your Koolaid....keep it iced down a little, this summer will be hot. :p

I am so glad I know better, and what the dark side is ACTUALLY capable of.....I would love to argue and go back and forth....but frankly I have zero desire to do that with you. Glad your happy and work your OS the way it works for you. Just realize I can do all those things you say I can't. Remember I haven't knocked the Android OS, I like it. But facts are facts, and I doubt you own any iOS products because you don't seem to know what the OS CAN do.

I love these sweeping condemnations that I don't know this or that, or my mind is closed to this or that.

If you read what I write you'll see I express an opinion and usually give examples. I gave an example of what I found with MapQuest. Rather than making a sweeping condemnation of my message, why don't you address the details I provided which supported my position?

I owned the first three iPhones, but it's true I lack intimate knowledge of iOS5, other than conversations with people. I've made no secret of that. In fact, I even asked you straight out if something has changed that I'm not aware of and gave you very specific examples of how I use my Android tablet. You neglected to address a single one.

At the risk of sounding like an old man (Ok, I am middle aged), the problem with the younger generations is they lack the fundamentals that my generation and older were provided. That list of lacking fundamentals is deep, but in this case, the one of interest is the ability to debate.

A debate consists of "point - counterpoint" and each point is usually supported. People today have completely lost that ability. Everything is now "point - dismiss their point as absurd and make fun of them." IMHO, this is the very reason our country is so politically polarized... to the point of our government being dysfunctional. While growing up, there has always been lively debate between the parties, but in the past 10 to 20 years, I've witnessed the "debate" between parties turn to "unsupported condescending ridicule" between parties.

It seems incredibly convenient to me that when it comes time for you guys to finally defend your positions and/or give one shred of support to counter my claims/opinions/assumptions, you instead put on your most condescending manner and proclaim you have the facts to counter my claims, but it's not worth your time to share them. Seriously? Listen to yourselves. Is that how you really want to sound? Is that the guy you really want to be?

Guys. Reread your posts. Neither of you have made/supported a single point. You've made sweeping claims and sweeping condemnations, without backing a single thing up. I've provided specific situations for my business use and made specific observations for MQ... none of which you addressed.

Bottom line: You've got nothing and it's painfully obvious.

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I love these assumptions that I don't know this or that, or my mind is closed to this or that.

If you read what I write you'll see I express an opinion and usually give examples. I gave an example of what I found with MapQuest. Rather than making a sweeping condemnation of my message, why not address the details I provided that supported my position.

I owned the first three iPhones, but it's true I lack intimate knowledge of iOS5, other than conversations with people. I've made no secret of that. In fact, I even asked you straight out if something has changed that I'm not aware of and gave you very specific instances. You neglected to address a single one.

At the risk of sounding like an old man (Ok, I am middle aged), the problem with the younger generations is they lack the fundamentals that my generation and older were provided. That list of lacking fundamentals is deep, but in this case, the one of interest is the ability to debate.

A debate consists of "point - counterpoint" and each point is usually supported. People today have completely lost that ability. Everything is "point - dismiss their point as absurd and make fun of him."

It seems incredibly convenient to me that when it comes time for you guys to defend your positions and/or give one shred of supporting evidence to counter my claims/opinions/assumptions, you instead put on your most condescending manner and proclaim you have the facts to counter my claims, but it's not worth your time to share them. Seriously?

Guys. Reread your posts. Neither of you have made a single point. You've made sweeping claims and sweeping condemnations, without backing a single thing up. I've provided specific situations for my business use and made specific observations for MQ... none of which you are able to counter. Bottom line: You've got nothing and it's painfully obvious.
All joking aside, and with that I don't mean to feather anyone's nest, but I simply have no desire to debate this or re read the previous post. Been there done that. I just don't take this debate seriously, so I invest nothing into it. If it was on point, sure, I would. But I lack fundamentals your generation does so I guess I am not qualified. Enjoy :)

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
All joking aside, and with that I don't mean to feather anyone's nest, but I simply have no desire to debate this or re read the previous post. Been there done that. I just don't take this debate seriously, so I invest nothing into it. If it was on point, sure, I would. But I lack fundamentals your generation does so I guess I am not qualified. Enjoy :)

Yeah... well... like I said... sweeping claims and sweeping condemnations with zero backup. My advice to you is don't be that guy. I risk being out of place offering advice after we squared off, but the only person you will ever impress with that is yourself or already like-minded people. Hollow claims and unimpressive/missing support will never impress/sway/motivate anyone and will limit you in your pursuit of success.

Especially in these times a detailed thoughtful man will stand out from the masses.

All joking aside. Enjoy. :)

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah... well... like I said... sweeping claims and sweeping condemnations with zero backup. My advice to you is don't be that guy. I risk being out of place offering advice after we squared off, but the only person you will ever impress with that is yourself or already like-minded people. Hollow claims and unimpressive/missing support will never impress/sway/motivate anyone and will limit you in your pursuit of success.

Especially in these times a detailed thoughtful man will stand out from the masses.

All joking aside. Enjoy. :)

Don't you have a business to run?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Back to the topic and hand. Keynote software is one of the best enterprise solutions for presenting on a iPad. We can also present from that to PC oriented devices. That is where the apple OS shines compared to ICS. It does it seamless. One of the reasons the iPad has a broader scope of power and market infiltration is that apple has been at this game longer than androids OS. I love ICS, and the potential will be realized soon. I love that we all have choices, and that OS competition keeps our products even better!

Is there a definitive winner in the Tablet market? Right now yes, Apple integrates into enterprise solutions much better than android right now. Does that mean you can't use android to run your presentations? Certainly not. Anyone educated enough and is able to see BS when it presents itself knows that.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I admit that the iPad is still the leader in the tablet game.

I also admit that I have very little experience with either platform

What I have seen and done with both platforms (as far as tablets go) Apple was easier.

What I will say is that I am POSITIVE that the gap has closed considerably and I believe that by Christmas of this year, that statement will no longer be true.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Of course iPad is the current leader in the tablet game. The Android tablet makers, along with Google and NVIDIA all stepped on their collective wieners.

It started with Honeycomb. Google put too little effort into it or they started the project too late. Pick one. Whatever the issue, it really needed to be ready as of January 2011 and it wasn't. Even when it was finally released with the XOOM it was not-ready-for-prime-time. It took two upgrades before the tablet and OS started running smoothly for most people.

Motorola screwed up their marketing of the XOOM. I really think they thought it would sell itself. The advertising was confusing, at best. Out of 4 or 5 commercials, I think only one actually pitched the tablet directly. The others were extremely esoteric.

NVIDIA shot itself (and every vendor who chose to use them) in the foot when it starting shooting out news releases immediately after CES about their new quad-core chips and how they would make tablets awesome. Um... what about all these first gen tablets, that haven't even hit the market yet, based on your dual-core processor? Opps! And then NVIDIA wondered why their chip sales volumes weren't what they expected. Duh!

And then there was every manufacturer who ever dreamed of making an Android tablet out there confusing the bejesus out of the few remaining interested consumers.

Android tablets are only now ready to compete. It would be nice if they could start from zero, but there are a lot of negative perceptions to overcome first. It's like finally ready to run a race, but forced to start 5 yards behind the starting line.

For this reason, and the head start iPad has had, the number of iPads in the wild will eclipse Android tablets in the wild for quite some time. That, of course, has no bearing on which is better for enterprise applications, where a true multitasking, file structure based OS is most desireable... because business seldom uses only one app at a time.

Teenage girls use one app at a time. (The devil made me write that!)

Business needs to be able to freely navigate to data and have multiple windows/apps open on that data. Like one would on a Windows based notebook. ;-)

Keynote = Powerpoint + more coolness. It's nice, no doubt. It's no way a game changer. It's very nice, but to distribute presentations to folks, one needs to export to Powerpoint, because an INCREDIBLY OVERWHELMING percentage of businesspeople are Microsoft Windows based. Once exported to Powerpoint... buh-bye added coolness. The only thing remaining is some extra themes. Big deal. :-(

Last edited:

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Is there a definitive winner in the Tablet market? Right now yes, Apple integrates into enterprise solutions much better than android right now.

Another sweeping claim without support.

Exactly how does it integrate better? Cite examples. Support your argument.

Own it.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Here's my take:

Apple has apps that have enterprise features added into them and has added support for enterprise email in the OS

Android also has apps that have enterprise features and has also has added support for enterprise email in the OS.

They are basically the same with only one difference, android links it's apps mores seamlessly through intent calling and that is wholly the advantages of having the Android apis to work with. Apple's Apis are different And I dare say less intuitive.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I admit that the iPad is still the leader in the tablet game.

I also admit that I have very little experience with either platform

What I have seen and done with both platforms (as far as tablets go) Apple was easier.

What I will say is that I am POSITIVE that the gap has closed considerably and I believe that by Christmas of this year, that statement will no longer be true.

You my friend are intuitive......:cool:

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Talking about how single apps compare to each other completely misses the point about a tablet's applicability to enterprise, IMHO. And it just winds people around an axle.

For people saying "one app is all people need to do business", I'd like know if they only use one window at a time on a Windows machine. I'm sitting in front of a notebook this morning (damn thing!) and have seven windows open. I'm switching between four of five of them quite frequently and need the other two occasionally.

The thing that makes a machine valuable to business is not only the quality of each individual app, but the ability to stitch them together and yield increased productivity. I think this has been proved out by the PC versus Apple wars of the 80's. The PC won. Not because it was easier to use (it wasn't). Not because it had higher quality apps (it didn't). The PC won because of Windows. The ability to have multiple portals open on various data and documents. The ability to share that data between open windows. That was the stake in the heart of Apple's bid for the business community. At that point Apple went to the only place they had left... children in school. With a few noted exceptions (mostly art/creative community) they stayed there until the iPod, commanding less than 5% of market share for nearly two decades.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Talking about how single apps compare to each other completely misses the point about a tablet's applicability to enterprise, IMHO. And it just winds people around an axle.

For people saying "one app is all people need to do business", I'd like know if they only use one window at a time on a Windows machine. I'm sitting in front of a notebook this morning (damn thing!) and have seven windows open. I'm switching between four of five of them quite frequently and need the other two occasionally.

The thing that makes a machine valuable to business is not only the quality of each individual app, but the ability to stitch them together and yield increased productivity. I think this has been proved out by the PC versus Apple wars of the 80's. The PC won. Not because it was easier to use (it wasn't). Not because it had higher quality apps (it didn't). The PC won because of Windows. The ability to have multiple portals open on various data and documents. The ability to share that data between open windows. That was the stake in the heart of Apple's bid for the business community. At that point Apple went to the only place they had left... children in school. With a few noted exceptions (mostly art/creative community) they stayed there until the iPod, commanding less than 5% of market share for nearly two decades.
You make your points, and that is appreciated...

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I would rather tie my presentation up in one swift show rather than jump through several open "windows" to get all info out there. Can ICS pump that info on apple displays?

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Define quality in an app, and a few hundred people will cite a different view on what that is, but you made the right point in saying that the ability to stitch apps together into a cohesive whole is essential. This is why Android is so successful, the capability to link widgets with apps, with other apps easily, is what sets itself from the rest of the market, IMO.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Define quality in an app, and a few hundred people will cite a different view on what that is, but you made the right point in saying that the ability to stitch apps together into a cohesive whole is essential. This is why Android is so successful, the capability to link widgets with apps, with other apps easily, is what sets itself from the rest of the market, IMO.

+1

Reactions: Speedygi

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I love these sweeping condemnations that I don't know this or that, or my mind is closed to this or that.

OK, so I have no interest in this conversation of iOS and Android any more within this thread, but I could not let this one go...

Is that quote from you not a sweeping condemnation of your own? :confused: You don't want to be that guy, do you? Just saying... ;)

Reactions: Johnly

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I have no interest in this conversation of iOS and Android any more within this thread, but I could not let this one go...

Is that quote from you not a sweeping condemnation of your own? :confused: You don't want to be that guy, do you? Just saying... ;)

For real...

From my jail broke free-bird iPhone doing all better than you!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Lets get real....I will present on any topic of your choice from my device and you do the same. We both know how too, lets walk! You pick the topic.....lets see what is really strait line stitch. :-$

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital