So SO annoyed. Replacement #7?!

SweetSaudade

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I have just had it. My current phone (Droid Charge #4) is just turning into crap. It won't keep a data connection, won't keep my email pushed to the phone, GPS takes forever to lock, it lags, battery lasts 4 hours, etc etc. When I was having trouble with DC #3, the tech on the phone told me that if I have any more trouble after I get this replacement that they would get me into a different 4G phone altogether. I've done all the tweaking of settings, the factory resets, reinstalled just a few apps very slowly to make sure they were ok, etc. Well, today was the final straw. My coworker came in with a Bionic and was showing it to me and I realized she had a full 4G connection (which lasted the whole day) while I had ZERO connection (not even 1x) the majority of the day. We had our phones side by side for comparison. Up until now I had been the only one with a 4G phone so I had no one to compare with. So now I know I have to replace the phone. Again.

So I called them today after deciding that the Razr would be a suitable replacement, but the rep on the phone insisted she could only send me an LG Revolution. Um.. WHAT?! It's not even a phone they sell on their site anymore! She insisted it's a "comparable" phone but when I questioned her on all the specs it was clear it wasn't.. I insisted it wasn't acceptable and that the only other phone comparable would be the Droid Bionic. So finally she relented. I wanted to just slap her. So glad I gave up my reliable blackberry to spend $300 to go through 11 months and 7 phones of crap. Someone please tell me THIS phone will finally be The One.

(Incidentally, it is 7 phones because before these 5 Charges I had 2 Thunderbolts. Don't even get me started on those..)

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear that, I'm still on my first Droid Charge with zero problems when running my custom ROM.

GPS lock is an issue that may (or may not) be solvable via a few Play Store apps.

The lag is 100% solvable by ditching the garbage Verizon/Samsung ROM.

Battery lasting 4 hours, not sure what you're doing with the phone, but if you keep 4G on full-time, then yeah 4 hours sounds about right, especially in a weak reception area (weak reception causes battery to drain extra quick).

Enjoy your Bionic, if only the screen quality was as good as the Charge's I'd be jealous.

Oh and good job avoiding that LG Rev, it's even more so of a 'throw-away phone' than the Charge.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I went through a similar situation with Sprint and my Samsung Epic 4g... I went through 3 refurbs in 2 week period... 2 broken right out of the box, they activated them and one started immediate boot loops that never stopped and the other one had a broken mic. 3rd one had something else, I forget.. Anyways when Sprint finally gave me the speech about #4 refurb I said enough is enough, called Sprints CS and finally got an exchange to another device without cost to me and not affecting my upgrade period.

Anyways the point of my story is like Sprint, Verizon and others when you get to the replacement program which is offered through Assurion I think is who works all the major carriers they will ONLY GIVE YOU A REPLACEMENT OF EQUAL VALUE. So whatever the Droid Charge is currently selling for, you will only get a choice of devices equivalent to the Droid and lesser value.

In my case my best option was moving to the NS4G from my Epic 4g and my other choices were all basically "free" phones..

It sucks but at this point in time your not dealing with Verizon for the cost of the replacement, its falling back on the insurance replacement provider and the rules they set forth.

standupdad

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear that, I'm still on my first Droid Charge with zero problems when running my custom ROM.

GPS lock is an issue that may (or may not) be solvable via a few Play Store apps.

Battery lasting 4 hours, not sure what you're doing with the phone, but if you keep 4G on full-time, then yeah 4 hours sounds about right, especially in a weak reception area (weak reception causes battery to drain extra quick).

Enjoy your Bionic, if only the screen quality was as good as the Charge's I'd be jealous.

Oh and good job avoiding that LG Rev, it's even more so of a 'throw-away phone' than the Charge.

Sent you a PM with what I did to get a Fascinate relaced by a Droid Charge last Sept. Long of the short, it ended with them telling me that they'd replace it with a brand new retail box Charge for $100 and an extension to my account for 2 years. Citing that the replacement was being done as a Warranty Exchange, the answer was no to both. She then dropped it down to $50 and a 2 yr renewal, and after wearing them down, it was FREE with ZERO extensions, changes or modifications to my account.

That said, if you get the full replacement that you want, you'lll likely have to call them back since they'll have to modify your account and adjust the automatic 2 year contract extension.

So you know the totallity of my story...

I received my new Charge. It died within 2 weeks due to overheating so badly that you could fry eggs on it. Their documentation doesn't state this, but Samsung does if you call them, that you MUST install the Samsung drivers to prevent overcharging from happening when you use the data cable to charge. Since some USB ports operate at different voltages, you can kill you phone right quick if you don't use the drivers on all systems and USB ports.

Charge #2 was a full retail replacement as well. That phone failed
Charge #3 turned into a Certified Like New, and that one failed
Charge #4 turned into a Certified Like New, and that one is failing

The worst issue I have with the latter two phones is a Un-Godly screaching in the ear piece of the phone when making or receiving calls. Happens randomly, and is loud enough to deafen you. This is something to be very careful of, as you'll hear ringing in your ears for days if it happens and you don't react quickly.

The phone is prone to over heating and this noise issue. Supposedly, the last patch fixed the noise issue. Oddly enough, the patch that just came out this week seems to be addressing it again.

If you're dead set on keeping your Charge, and when they ask you what you want, tell them that you want a brand new, not CL-N, and ZERO contract upgrade if they offer anything. They have the power to modify and give you even a new Make and Model when you deal with the executive customer service, so don't back down.

In 1.5 years, I've been through 8 phones. 4 Fascinates, and 4 Charges. Maybe it was 5 Fascinates. Nonetheless, Samsung phones, though beautiful to look at, seem to be some of the worst of the worse when failure comes to failure.

Anyway, I sent you a PM with my email, and the names of the executives I sent it to. This got me a phone call within 24 hours.

Good luck.

SuD

agneis

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Since the 2.3.6 update, my charge has been having severe battery drain. I need to charge it every few hrs. It was always bad on battery life, now it is completely unacceptable. I connect it to charge cable all the time while in the house and car. It is running down even when nothing is running. I dont use it as a phone as much as I do for email, web etc.
does anyone else notice this change?

fundragon

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

I had a somewhat different issue, my battery got worse with the last 2 software updates, but after the most recent one, it started draining much faster, but also started suddenly dying from 60 or 70% charge. When I'd plug it in, it would act as if it had zero charge. One night I let it charge just a few percent, then left it unplugged... the battery charge kept increasing even while unplugged. (Clearly, it wasn't the actual battery charge that had hit zero... it was the measure of charge reported to the phone by the battery.) Verizon replaced my battery on warranty, and the new battery fixed the problem.

I also had a generic Verizon charger recalled and replaced with a new one, a few months ago... I'm guessing the bad charger may have contributed to the bad battery, but don't really know.

ghostrider5666

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I called VZW today about the loud buzzing sound and was told they had to sent a ticket to their tier 3 tech support and they didn't know how long it could take.

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have just had it. My current phone (Droid Charge #4) is just turning into crap. It won't keep a data connection, won't keep my email pushed to the phone, GPS takes forever to lock, it lags, battery lasts 4 hours, etc etc. When I was having trouble with DC #3, the tech on the phone told me that if I have any more trouble after I get this replacement that they would get me into a different 4G phone altogether. I've done all the tweaking of settings, the factory resets, reinstalled just a few apps very slowly to make sure they were ok, etc. Well, today was the final straw. My coworker came in with a Bionic and was showing it to me and I realized she had a full 4G connection (which lasted the whole day) while I had ZERO connection (not even 1x) the majority of the day. We had our phones side by side for comparison. Up until now I had been the only one with a 4G phone so I had no one to compare with. So now I know I have to replace the phone. Again.

So I called them today after deciding that the Razr would be a suitable replacement, but the rep on the phone insisted she could only send me an LG Revolution. Um.. WHAT?! It's not even a phone they sell on their site anymore! She insisted it's a "comparable" phone but when I questioned her on all the specs it was clear it wasn't.. I insisted it wasn't acceptable and that the only other phone comparable would be the Droid Bionic. So finally she relented. I wanted to just slap her. So glad I gave up my reliable blackberry to spend $300 to go through 11 months and 7 phones of crap. Someone please tell me THIS phone will finally be The One.

(Incidentally, it is 7 phones because before these 5 Charges I had 2 Thunderbolts. Don't even get me started on those..)

Sounds like another typical case of "it's more than just the phone" issue. I've owned the Thunderbolt and now have the Charge with no issues with either

xRodo

May 24, 2011
Visit site

I disagree on the battery life. Even at the weakest, my phone's battery has lasted over 4 hours. I am in a spotty 4G area, and my battery lasts over 12 hours with my current setup.

I agree with everything else, though. My phone barely lags on Tweaked 2.0+Zeam.

Samsung phones are notorious for having a weak GPS lock. I do not use google maps enough to matter, but when I first moved to this new city a year ago, it was a little frustrating having to sit in my car several minutes waiting on the GPS to figure out where I was in order to give me directions.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Since the 2.3.6 update, my charge has been having severe battery drain. I need to charge it every few hrs. It was always bad on battery life, now it is completely unacceptable. I connect it to charge cable all the time while in the house and car. It is running down even when nothing is running. I dont use it as a phone as much as I do for email, web etc.
Yes, I do, along with weak 4G reception (which I believe is probably related), spotty phone reception (ditto) and running very hot (ditto).

I have a repair ticket open to see if there is a problem in my neighborhood with 4G signal (it has been extremely strong and stable until now). If they can't find a signal problem, I'll have a warranty replacement of the phone.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
They just traded mine out for a BEAST of a phone, the reZound.

They wanted to give me the bionic, but I refused to take the screen downgrade so they relented and hit me with this....it is awesome