New Droid Charge Update

BlkWolf03

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
After a couple days of use I have noticed that the bootup time is very fast now .. its as fast, if not faster than my Galaxy Nexus. The background is static for the stock launcher, but I am still using GoLauncher so lets you still have a moving background - it just crops it a little more than before. Only other thing Ive noticed, other than the new lockscreen, is now it show the up/down activity on the wifi icon in the status bar.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Still no update for me. I must be last on the list. My son and I bought Charges the same day back in May and he got his update yesterday. Oh well, I'm sure it is not as big of a deal as when we got GB.

Eighty_3#AC

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
If you would like to be done waiting you can manually update to FP1 by following this procedure:

1. Download this file: 668fc9f366e2.update_SCH-I510_EP4D_to_FP1H.zip
2. Rename the file to update.zip
3. Copy the update.zip to the root of your SD card
4. Shutdown phone
5. Hold down the volume up, home, and power button
6. Once in android stock recovery arrow and and select "apply sdcard update.zip" with the home button
7. Select update.zip with the home button
8. The update will run and phone will reboot on its own then you will be on FP1:p

Worked like a charm. Thanks! :cool:

Wanderist

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm still waiting too. I was in the last batch with previous update so I guess I'll be waiting a while. From all accounts it sounds like a big improvement. I've been about ready to toss the Charge lately with all the data loss and slow GPS locking.

Wanderist

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if this update also addresses the USP connection issue? I have never been able to get my Charge to stay connected to my pc long enough to transfer a single file. :(

paulwall8742

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
my charge received an OTA update just little while ago. but it was only 29mbs. not the 85mbs I seen while surfing the internet on this new update.

it looks like I didn't get the diagnostic tool??? and when I check for system updates its telling me system is up to date?

what's up with that?

Wanderist

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Got my update this morning. Checked USB connection - the options have changed a bit, you now choose between media and mass storage mode. And I still can't get a stable connection to my PC. In fact the Samsung driver that is already installed on my PC is not recognizing the phone at all.

I love the Charge's screen, but I hate this phone. It has none of the functionality of the Motorola ;(
:mad:

TourATL

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Got my update last night. I'll miss the sliding wallpaper, but if this fixes my GPS lock issues, it'll be totally worth it. So far I'm getting a super fast lock. I'll not jump the gun though, i seem to recall the the GPS being good for a day or two after the GB update before going back to being unusable. Crossing my fingers!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Sprout004

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the new update will kill root access? I keep getting the popup that the update is available, but I am rooted and want to stay that way.

djwiteboi

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the new update will kill root access? I keep getting the popup that the update is available, but I am rooted and want to stay that way.

^This. I'm running a stock rooted version and do not want to lose root access either. I'm guessing that this update will remove this but there doesn't seem to be anything in the update that would cause me to even want to upgrade.

krkelly

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
^This. I'm running a stock rooted version and do not want to lose root access either. I'm guessing that this update will remove this but there doesn't seem to be anything in the update that would cause me to even want to upgrade.

I'll throw my hat in as well. Everytime a new update comes out this question pops up. I let it sit in the notifications bar for a week or so until I find out. A real annoying pain in the ass.

standupdad

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

Standard answer is, yes, it will.
Specific answer, yes, it does.

Had to manually update mine, as my rooted only stock wouldn't update through the air for some reason. After updating, I checked, and it lost root. I need to take a minute or two and get it back.

SuD

Kriv

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Updated this morning but now the apps I had on my SD card are showing up as "not installed".

Update: After a phone restart, the apps became available again.

Last edited:

earlingy

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Would like to know about tethering with third party apps. Changelog seemed to have a lot of items about tethering. Don't tether often but nice to have it as an option when i'm stuck. Thanks!

Anyone with the update know the answer here? Specifically with the use of suchs apps as "SVTP Wifi & USB Tethering" or Foxfi?

Thanks

xaerospace

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Got my update this morning. Checked USB connection - the options have changed a bit, you now choose between media and mass storage mode. And I still can't get a stable connection to my PC. In fact the Samsung driver that is already installed on my PC is not recognizing the phone at all.

I love the Charge's screen, but I hate this phone. It has none of the functionality of the Motorola ;(
:mad:

Not to make any assumptions, but have you tried a different usb (not all usb cables are the same) cable or a different computer? Just for testing? I have zero issues with my connection to the PC and I would think that what you are experiencing is a problem with the phone hardware or cable. Maybe go into a Verizon store and just try it out on their systems?