New Droid Charge Update

fundragon

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I've had severe battery issues since the update.
First, my battery seems to drain about 4-5x faster. (The previous update seemed to make it drain about 1.5x faster than it had previously, but this is much, much worse.)
Second, my battery indicator will claim I have around 35-40% of battery left, then I start a game (GLWG, which was also running for weeks before the update), play it for ~10 seconds and WHAM! the phone goes completely dead, and when I plug it into a charger it starts charging from 0%.

GramieDroid

May 27, 2011
Visit site
OMG I Love my phone again. Before update I was ready to throw it at VZW . Now today after the update, I unpluged it around ten am and it still has most of it's power at nine pm. I don't know yesterday it wasn't doing this. I was really unhappy because I couldn't depend on it to hold a charge (new bat from VZW a few weks ago) even with car charger. A girl needs to be able to call for help when driving around. I consider it a personal protection equipment. But today it's better. Also I love the new unlock that I can do with one hand.

Last edited:

Jhett

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had severe battery issues since the update.
First, my battery seems to drain about 4-5x faster. (The previous update seemed to make it drain about 1.5x faster than it had previously, but this is much, much worse.)
Second, my battery indicator will claim I have around 35-40% of battery left, then I start a game (GLWG, which was also running for weeks before the update), play it for ~10 seconds and WHAM! the phone goes completely dead, and when I plug it into a charger it starts charging from 0%.

I, too, am having major battery issues since the update. It has been three days since my update installed and I have been having to charge the phone two or three times a day. I am giving it some time to see if it is just a case of the battery needing to "re-learn" my habits again. Here's hoping this is the case. I can't imagine what would happen if I didn't have access to a charger all day. Well, I can: I'd have a brick after three or four hours.

jbone405

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded the new update but when it goes to install it stops about halfway through and freezes on a screen with a triangle with an exclamation point in it and i have to restart it. Ive tried it about 10 times, always the same result. Anyone have a solution to this problem?

Duckmanbill

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Updated to FP1. I like that it boots faster however I found it no longer charges with my 3rd-party car charger (some old motorola one). Anyone else experience this? This is a deal breaker for me as I'm not going to be ripped off with the official car charger.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Updated to FP1. I like that it boots faster however I found it no longer charges with my 3rd-party car charger (some old motorola one). Anyone else experience this? This is a deal breaker for me as I'm not going to be ripped off with the official car charger.

that is usually a kernel thing, I take it you are totally stock..?

mantips

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
battery life seems a little worse, but overall a significant improvement:
1. Gps lock time WAY better
2. boot time WAY better
3. home screen redraw after browser GONE

at least that's what i noticed as of day 2. hopefully it stays this way.

Wanderist

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I do know that widgets will disappear from the screen when moved to SD, but I've never had an issue with shortcuts or application icons. I am using GoLauncher now - seems like their widgets stay put as long as you don't move the widget program itself to SD.

I saw a comment about someone thinking of using GoSMS - beware of this one on Verizon, unless someone has found a fix. I love GoSMS but when installed, the notifications that come from Verizon to tell you about email and text messages, become text messages from OzMail. Once I uninstalled GoSMS they stopped and my mail notifications came back. Same thing happened with Handsent. Bummer.

Upgrade notes - I actually miss the puzzle piece and the option to ignore a call by letting it ring silent. I don't see that anymore. What I thought was really odd was my memory space (total storage) dropped along with my free space. I could swear the total space was at least 30 GB and now its 29.17??

emock81

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Try pressing one of the volume keys to silence the ringer.

The update has been great for me and it resolved one of the biggest issues I had with this phone - the dialpad timing out when trying to input a voicemail password or using any other type of automated system. Glad to see that is fixed!

richs10

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
In my case, the update has substantially improved my Charge. GPS lock is much faster. Bluetooth is playing much better with MyFord Touch in my car. I actually like the new lock screen better than the old slide or puzzle lock. I would have difficulty getting the slide to unlock my phone using only one hand. The new lock is, IMO, easier both for unlocking the phone and answering incoming calls. GoLauncher EX (which greatly improved my phone several months ago) is operating fine with the update.

No difference in battery life as far as I can see. Mine is ok. I typically take it off the charger at about 6:30 am and try to keep it on the charger at work when possible. If I don't, I'm out of juice by 5pm. I always keep a charged spare battery in the car but have only had to use it a couple of times. Overall, I'm satisfied with the update.

Rich

tgbyhnujm

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Everybody,

I received my FP1 update. Be careful when you are notified to read the entire (ultra small type font) message you get. Mine said that it was ready to install but my battery was to low. I checked install later and charged the battery (it was at 30%). After 75 minutes of charging it was at 86% so I installed it. All went well.

When it finished I rebooted my phone THREE more times. I say, if you have installed the newest FP1 update reboot your phone THREE times more before you test it. With the GB 2.3.6 I have seen folks say that a feature was not working and later it started to work, probably after several reboots. I already saw this same comment for the FP1 update. You need to reboot your phone at least three times more after ANY software update. Anyhow, what do you have to lose?

So far everything is working perfectly.

One other observation, Verizon's announcement said the update was 85Mbytes but the update that I received was only 29Mbytes. I did see where someone said that the 29Mbyte update only included the radios (modems).

Does anyone know what is the difference between the 29MB versus the 85MB FP1 update?

I also wonder why Verizon choose to send me the OTA 29MB update rather than the 85MB update.

JerryF

Last edited:

richs10

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey Jerry:
Glad to hear you finally got your update. I had been following the update thread over at the Verizon site until they closed it. They sure are great at censoring posts over there. As to providing helpful advice......not so much, IMO. I find these other forums more helpful anyway, especially since Verizon changed over to the new format (which I cannot, for the life of me, figure out).

The update has helped my phone a lot. Especially GPS. As to the difference in file size, could it be the omission of the program that would allow Verizon to diagnose problems with your phone? A lot of people were not comfortable with that idea. After the update, I have not been able to find anything like that on my phone. Maybe they decided to delete it from the update?

Rich

megamef

May 2, 2010
Visit site
After the update, I am not receiving all of my text messages. Dont know if its cause of the update or just something wrong with the phone. I tried battery pull a few times and rebooted several times. Any suggestions?