[Official] Droid Charge delayed?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Got a BUNCH of tips tonight that it might not be on sale Thursday because of the LTE outage. If you hear/see different, sing out!

Update: Just heard back from Verizon corporate. It's as we thought.

Also -- and I'm not kidding here -- I've got someone telling me part of the decision had nothing to do with LTE. T-Shirts didn't make it to all stores in time. Gawd, I hope that's true. :p

If I choose to believe the shirt thing I may lose it. So I will stick to outage. Yup outage!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

brianct1972

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow, great information ragdoll8, we all appreciate the footwork!!

A 2-3 month delay is certainly not good news for anyone, let's hope his DM is wrong.

Senraeth

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So I got a call from Wirefly and even though I already have a tracking number saying the phone shipped last night and is half-way to me already, I should disregard that and the phone is delayed...:'(

ragdoll08

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
No problem.. I had switched my work schedule around previously, solely to go out this morning and finally pick this bad boy up... so I had some free time lol.

I don't buy the 2-3 month thing for a second, I think he just wanted to make a sale. Most people who are told the phone they're looking for is that far off, they probably won't wait for it and settle for something else.

BobR

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Also -- and I'm not kidding here -- I've got someone telling me part of the decision had nothing to do with LTE. T-Shirts didn't make it to all stores in time. Gawd, I hope that's true. :p
How's that for a creative misdirect!? If an representative was ever directed to communicate that officially, they'd become a laughing stock. Maybe next time they delay a phone, they can explain that "our dog ate the manuals."

Okay, I apologize to the Verizon folks. I know getting a phone out is hard, and there are a lot of dependencies that they probably can't control. But those of us that passed on the Thunderbolt release, and now face delays with the Charge release, are getting a bit anxious to actually buy a 4g phone!

The good news for those who jumped on the Thunderbolt is that they are probably even happier about their decision to dive in early.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
How's that for a creative misdirect!? If an representative was ever directed to communicate that officially, they'd become a laughing stock. Maybe next time they delay a phone, they can explain that "our dog ate the manuals."

Okay, I apologize to the Verizon folks. I know getting a phone out is hard, and there are a lot of dependencies that they probably can't control. But those of us that passed on the Thunderbolt release, and now the Charge release, are getting a bit anxious to actually buy a 4g phone!

The good news for those who jumped on the Thunderbolt is that they are probably even happier about their decision to dive in early.

If the Charge is only delayed one day its better than the TB delay. I want rid of this thing I hope it comes tomorrow

Halcyon

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
How is it that T-mobile, AT&T and Sprint can get their awesome phones out in a timely manner and Verizon manage to screw up every phone release this year other than the iPhone? Hmmmm wait I may have hit on something...

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
If the Charge is only delayed one day its better than the TB delay. I want rid of this thing I hope it comes tomorrow

I am thinking of dropping the TB for the charge as well, dont get me wrong it is a great phone but I just dont love it

calbear

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
How is it that T-mobile, AT&T and Sprint can get their awesome phones out in a timely manner and Verizon manage to screw up every phone release this year other than the iPhone? Hmmmm wait I may have hit on something...

Trust me, there was a lot more angst flowing over at the Sprint Nexus S 4G "Release Date" thread due to the multiple delays ... just check out the relative post/view count of that thread (523 posts, 44,000+ views) versus any of the threads about the Charge.

I've been following the launch for the Nexus S like crazy--reading online, asking different people etc. I pre-ordered mine 3 weeks ago at BB. Of course there's been lots of rumors about the release....I was in the Sprint store this weekend about ready to throw my HTC HERO across the room and asked the guy why they're being so secretive about the launch. He said that it's becuase they're may be a HUGE announcement from another carrier with a new phone--i.e. i-phone and that they are waiting to see when they announce that so they can swoop in and announce the Nexus S. I kind of though this didn't make ANY sense since Apple typically comes out with a new Iphone every July, NOT now....but then again it is Apple and they like to be super secretive? It didn't make a whole lot of sense when he said it but I thought I'd pass it along--It seems to be the only reason they're being so secretive and/or delaying the launch. "Spring" could really be up until June something. Let's hope it's not that long!

Halcyon

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Having actually owned a Fasciante (which is basically a 3G Charge) I am glad to have the Thunderbolt. I think that Samsung makes some slick hardware, but their software support has left me never wanting another Samsung. I know people will comment that you can root and hack your phone. But really why would I want a 4g fascinate when I can have the TB which for me has been great. HTC is number one at supporting their devices. Dont get me wrong. I enjoyed my fascinate for what it was. But I was left with a bad taste in my mouth from being a Samsung owner.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Having actually owned a Fasciante (which is basically a 3G Charge) I am glad to have the Thunderbolt. I think that Samsung makes some slick hardware, but their software support has left me never wanting another Samsung. I know people will comment that you can root and hack your phone. But really why would I want a 4g fascinate when I can have the TB which for me has been great. HTC is number one at supporting their devices. Dont get me wrong. I enjoyed my fascinate for what it was. But I was left with a bad taste in my mouth from being a Samsung owner.

How exactly is it a 4g fascinate. Can you send me the internal parts numbers that you are looking at so I can see

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the insight. Is the software support the biggest issue then when comparing the Fascinate (or Charge) to the Thunderbolt? I'm looking at it mostly for my wife whose not tech savvy, and would probably care less about updates (barring major bugs).

BadxAstronaut

May 12, 2010
Visit site

Didn't the Fascinate just recently got an OTA update for Froyo? I'm thinking about going with the TB as well considering how long it took Samsung to get Froyo into the Fascinate (or it could Verizon's doing). Still loving my Moto Droid with CM6 =)

Halcyon

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the insight. Is the software support the biggest issue then when comparing the Fascinate (or Charge) to the Thunderbolt? I'm looking at it mostly for my wife whose not tech savvy, and would probably care less about updates (barring major bugs).

For sure. The software (touchwiz vs sense and file system) on my fasciante is really sub par compared to my TB. My Fascinate just recieved 2.2 and it has brought on a host of bugs and issues for me. Every fix on my fasciante has brought more issues. I mean just getting 2.2 is really sad since Gingerbread has been out since christmas on the Nexus S and 2.2 has been out since summer. I just cant bring myself to owning another samsung in light of my experiance. And I would put money down that the TB gets gingerbread waaaaay before the Charge does. HTC has a proven track record for updating their phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: DolfanCole

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
How exactly is it a 4g fascinate. Can you send me the internal parts numbers that you are looking at so I can see

It is my understanding that the CPU is the same, which is probably a big reason why the comparison was made (although I can't speak for the OP). The display on the Charge is better though, both in size and technology.

Halcyon

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
It is my understanding that the CPU is the same, which is probably a big reason why the comparison was made (although I can't speak for the OP). The display on the Charge is better though, both in size and technology.

Yeah I was talking about the CPU. Screen is much better. Also to note the TB can do voice and data at the same time due to the radios. The Charge cannot.

Last edited:

rescueswimmer

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I was talking about the CPU. Screen is much better. Also to note the TB can do voice and data at the same time due to the radios. The Charge cannot.

That is not entirely True.

The Tbolt can do data and voice on both 4g and 3g. The Charge can only do data and voice on 4g.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: BobR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463