05-13-2011 08:08 AM
27 12
tools
    Well, it's Thursday the 12th, and I don't see any of the devices rumored to be released today...

Droid X2
    HTC Trophy
    LG Revolution
    Samsung Charge

I'm beginning to wonder why we spend so much time speculating and reading into these release dates... seems that none of them are coming true.
    05-12-2011 08:25 AM
    because it gives us something to hope for then get mad at and hope again until they finally release lol.
    05-12-2011 09:19 AM
    I got a bunch of them in stock at my store last week but am not allowed to sell them until they are released. So it should be soon.
    05-12-2011 10:01 AM
    I guess this takes away one the rumors that the delay was to give the white iphone 2 weeks of sales.
    05-12-2011 10:10 AM
    I got a bunch of them in stock at my store last week but am not allowed to sell them until they are released. So it should be soon.
    Have you had chance to play with any of them? If so, any opinions on how well they function?
    05-12-2011 10:42 AM
    Yeah but the HTC Merge is being released today! LOL what a piece of S _ _ _ device that one is!
    05-12-2011 10:43 AM
    I guess this takes away one the rumors that the delay was to give the white iphone 2 weeks of sales.
    That would not shock me at all. Verizon has bent over backwards for Apple. I got an email advising me to replace the Thunderbolt Unlimited Data Plan posters with the White iPhone Unlimited Data posters. Lmao
    05-12-2011 10:43 AM
    These delays are only causing me to second guess whether I want to upgrade with VZW, or start looking at other options.

Frankly, I've been looking since January. They've lost out on $30/mo data since I've been waiting on the Bionic and haven't seen anything peak my interest in the meantime.
    05-12-2011 11:08 AM
    These delays are only causing me to second guess whether I want to upgrade with VZW, or start looking at other options.

Frankly, I've been looking since January. They've lost out on $30/mo data since I've been waiting on the Bionic and haven't seen anything peak my interest in the meantime.
    I see where you're coming from...I've been debating if I should stick with them or not mysef. These delays are out of control.
    05-12-2011 11:36 AM
    If you plan on switching or checking out sprint make sure you see the new coverage map on their site. Might as well go with cricket at this point.
    05-12-2011 11:40 AM
    I can see where you are coming from but having been working with VZW for 8 years I can say they do delay a lot of their phones but its almost always to make sure it is working properly. A lot of companies rush them out then they have a lot of issues. Not to say that all phones work flawlessly out of the box but the delays are usually for the better of the device.
    05-12-2011 11:43 AM
    I think the delay would be more easy to stomach if Verizon hadn't done the big hunt for the phone and all the promotions just to have it go MIA...
    05-12-2011 12:04 PM
    I think the delay would be more easy to stomach if Verizon hadn't done the big hunt for the phone and all the promotions just to have it go MIA...
    Good point. I even got all sorts of signs/posters for launch day then had to take them down. Sitting on Inventory too.
    05-12-2011 12:16 PM
    I am downloading the OTA update now for my Thunderbolt. Depending on how that update goes and if it fixes the problems/bugs that it is supposed to fix, I might not have a need for the Charge anymore.....

Bryan
    05-12-2011 12:43 PM
    Let us know what it fixes and if you get more than 5 hours of battery life. I would be interested as well.
    05-12-2011 01:19 PM
    Let us know what it fixes and if you get more than 5 hours of battery life. I would be interested as well.
    I can't answer for the 3g/4g handoff functionality, but I can speak to the fact that on my TB the gps is just as useless AFTER the update as it was prior. Tried multiple times while at lunch to get my location in Google Maps and every single time "location not available at this time". Same old BS from our good friends at VZW.

Some are concerned about updates or lack of updates from the Charge. Honestly I could give a crap about updates. I just want it to work as advertised out of the box!

Bryan
    05-12-2011 02:42 PM
    I can't answer for the 3g/4g handoff functionality, but I can speak to the fact that on my TB the gps is just as useless AFTER the update as it was prior. Tried multiple times while at lunch to get my location in Google Maps and every single time "location not available at this time". Same old BS from our good friends at VZW.

Some are concerned about updates or lack of updates from the Charge. Honestly I could give a crap about updates. I just want it to work as advertised out of the box!

Bryan
    Agreed.

This reason alone has me looking at iPhones again. I've tried to avoid it for quite some time now, but I can't find a single Android phone on VZW that doesn't have operation quirks. As much as I don't want to buy an Apple product, I'd give that up to have something that just works.
    peterr22 likes this.
    05-12-2011 02:47 PM

Bryan
    I haven't had ANY issues with ANYTHING on my Thunderbolt even before the update. Sometimes there are just bad phones or you may be in a bad area. I'm not noticing any negative effects since the update and I think the battery has actually gotten better. I'm streaming Radio Companion and there has been very minimal battery drain.
    05-12-2011 02:52 PM
    Agreed.

This reason alone has me looking at iPhones again. I've tried to avoid it for quite some time now, but I can't find a single Android phone on VZW that doesn't have operation quirks. As much as I don't want to buy an Apple product, I'd give that up to have something that just works.
    I agree with that completely
    05-12-2011 03:07 PM
    Agreed.

Working at VZW I can tell you I have plenty of iPhones come in with issues. Mostly the ear piece not working. The difference is with ANY other phone I can get them a replacement and troubleshoot the issue. The iPhone? Go call Apple Care or hope there is an Apple store close to you.

I use the Droid 2. I have had no issues. Maybe once every 2 months it will turn off and back on. But I blame that on my constant rooting and tinkering. Lol

4G is new and I expected there to be issues with the devices until they get it worked out right. I would just avoid a 4G unless you have to have one.
    05-12-2011 03:37 PM
    Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a Android vs. Iphone debate.

I realize that these are electronics, some are going to have issues.

The fact of the matter is, these new devices continue to have issues with GPS, battery life, etc, etc. It leaves something to be desired, and it's certainly frustrating contracting a device for 2-yrs and it not working right as soon as you take it out of the box.

Truth be told, you kind of backed up the iphone argument with the 'rooting' statement. How come these devices are all being rooted within days of purchase? My take on it is that they're not functioning properly and/or at peak performance out of the box, and we're left to 'fix' them on our own... at the cost of a warranty.

Also, I do have apple stores nearby, so that's seemingly a bonus for me. Where do I take my Android when the GPS isn't working? Don't take this the wrong way, I'm actually quite curious who backs these products should I have an issue.
    05-12-2011 04:09 PM
    Also, I do have apple stores nearby, so that's seemingly a bonus for me. Where do I take my Android when the GPS isn't working? Don't take this the wrong way, I'm actually quite curious who backs these products should I have an issue.
    Samsung take it to a verizon store then they ship it to Samsung.... just like you take your iphone to the apple store and they ship it to apple. I have yet had an Apple tech fix something for me without shipping it out

But if i were you i would go with an iphone.
    05-12-2011 04:19 PM
    I can't believe this isn't out yet. Really makes me curious as to why there's been such a delay. I tried waiting patiently and eventually had (wanted) to make the jump and went with the TB and an extended battery. I love the phone and other than the poor battery life (rectified with the extended), I have no issues that others have complained about. But I count myself lucky as I never had any issues with either my Moto X or the Fascinate. I do miss the screen and long for the day I can have that kind of color, contrast and sharpness at hand. But I'm a phone ***** and I know I'll be there when Sammy releases their next big thing later this year.
    05-12-2011 04:31 PM
    Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a Android vs. Iphone debate.

I realize that these are electronics, some are going to have issues.

The fact of the matter is, these new devices continue to have issues with GPS, battery life, etc, etc. It leaves something to be desired, and it's certainly frustrating contracting a device for 2-yrs and it not working right as soon as you take it out of the box.

Truth be told, you kind of backed up the iphone argument with the 'rooting' statement. How come these devices are all being rooted within days of purchase? My take on it is that they're not functioning properly and/or at peak performance out of the box, and we're left to 'fix' them on our own... at the cost of a warranty.

I rooted mine so I could have free tethering and full back ups of all my settings. 80% of people don't root their phones. Its just us tech dorks that like to tinker and have more options. I had the phone for 6 months before I even rooted it. But I hear you. Most of the issues you are talking about are 4G issues. You have to jailbreak an Iphone to get it to do similar things like free Wifi etc. Difference is the App for Jailbreak tethering is 20 bucks. Lol. I sell a lot of iPhones though and do recommend them depending on the user.

Your Android? Take it to any Verizon store or retailer. They can get you a replacement that day or next day worst case. FYI - I had the original Droid and now have the Droid 2. Never had a GPS issue.
    05-12-2011 05:03 PM
    I can see where you are coming from but having been working with VZW for 8 years I can say they do delay a lot of their phones but its almost always to make sure it is working properly. A lot of companies rush them out then they have a lot of issues. Not to say that all phones work flawlessly out of the box but the delays are usually for the better of the device.
    Kinda like that crap Thunderbolt... works flawlessly. Yeah right. I was able to buy a Droid Charge at target tonight...call around to a store that is as uninformed as Verizon if you want a Charge now !
    05-13-2011 03:48 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD