DOA with single core @ $299 IMHO

BobR

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Now that's plain silly... surely you don't mean to say that this is not a legitimate choice for someone wanting to buy a Verizon phone this weekend. I think it competes well with other options currently available such as the Thunderbolt and Dinc2.

Of course there are cheaper options, and better phones are on the way. But if there are better top of the line options today, please let me know before I buy tomorrow! ;)

Last edited:

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Now that's plain silly... surely you don't mean to say that this is not a legitimate choice for someone wanting to buy a Verizon phone this weekend. I think it competes well with other options currently available such as the Thunderbolt and Dinc2.

Of course there are cheaper options, and better phones are on the way. But if there are better top of the line options today, please let me know before I buy tomorrow! ;)

One core is fine for me. I do not plan on gaming or watching TV on the thing. I just want a bright easy to read screen, decent battery life, read email, and surf the net.:):):)

moondrius

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
One core is fine for me. I do not plan on gaming or watching TV on the thing. I just want a bright easy to read screen, decent battery life, read email, and surf the net.:):):)

Even if you were you would be fine. Hummingbird is one of the better performing single cores out there.

imnuts

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I'd say it is the best performing single core available considering it was released a year ago. The latest single core Snapdragon processors only match it's performance.

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Show me where I can find another VZW 4G device with a dual core... wait, there isn't one.

IMO, this will be a big seller until the Bionic arrives, especially considering reviews are giving it a full days worth of battery life as compared to the Bolts 4-6hrs.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad its finally coming out, but I DON'T like the $300 price tag. They'll charge what the market will bear, and if people seem to be happy about that price, you'll see more phones at that price, or possibly even higher. As I've said elsewhere, I could have bought this phone 2 weeks ago, I just didn't wanna pay $300. Its certainly not dead in the water, but it will be a hard sell to anyone who isn't dead set on an LTE device. I definitely want 4G, and will almost certainly be choosing between this and the Bionic, if I ever hear anything about the latter. But hopefully by the time that comes out, this device will have dropped in price, and they will have learned not to sell phones for $300 on contract, 4G or otherwise. I'm hoping the market will dictate it.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The GPU in the TBolt is no where near as smooth as this one. Also if u are one to do a lil tweaking. This will be an awesome phone. I will get it since I have two upgrades coming this year.
The amoled screen d iud not wash out in direct sun, and I would expect this scree to be even better.

BobR

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I dont think most ppl care how many cores a PHONE has.
While I think it's a bit much to call the Charge DOA, I do agree with the OP that dual core is significant. One sign of this is the Twitter from BMX that says this crop of single core phones is not likely to run well on Ice Cream Sandwich.

We are definitely not yet at the true next level of device that is (slightly) future proof yet. But the current devices are really nice. I like the Charge display and feature set. Sure, would like it cheaper with more memory, more internal storage, an FM radio, qHD and dual core. And NFC will probably be a glaring omission soon. Maybe even 3D.

Still, for someone wanting a phone today (like me), the Charge is a great option. Personally, I'm headed this morning to the Verizon store to check it out. Hoping to return with one in hand.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad its finally coming out, but I DON'T like the $300 price tag. They'll charge what the market will bear, and if people seem to be happy about that price, you'll see more phones at that price, or possibly even higher. As I've said elsewhere, I could have bought this phone 2 weeks ago, I just didn't wanna pay $300. Its certainly not dead in the water, but it will be a hard sell to anyone who isn't dead set on an LTE device. I definitely want 4G, and will almost certainly be choosing between this and the Bionic, if I ever hear anything about the latter. But hopefully by the time that comes out, this device will have dropped in price, and they will have learned not to sell phones for $300 on contract, 4G or otherwise. I'm hoping the market will dictate it.

I read in a post yesterday that a 32gig card was selling on Amazon for $60; so that certainly accounts for some of it's price tag.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
On May 24, the Samsung Galaxy S II LTE will be announced for expected release in June. If they are true to form, it will be $199. Some of the spec differences are:

Processor: 1GHz single core vs 1.2 dual
Memory: 2GB Internal vs 16
RAM/ROM: 512MB*vs 1024
NFC: No vs Yes
USB OTG: No vs Yes

If you are wanting to buy a phone in the next month or so would it make sense to compare both of the new Samsungs?

Did you see the Google I/O NFC demo?

Might you want to use the USB OTG that would let you use a USB flash memory?

Last edited:

imnuts

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
On May 24, the Samsung Galaxy S II LTE will be announced for expected release in June. If they are true to form, it will be $199. Some of the spec differences are:

Display: SAMOLED vs SAMOLED Plus

If you are wanting to buy a phone in the next month or so would it make sense to compare both of the new Samsungs?

You may want to check your specs. The Charge is sporting a SAMOLED+ display. Also, there is no telling what the SGS2 will be once it comes to VZW as the Fascinate had differences in internal storage compared to other SGS phones.

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site

Display: SAMOLED vs SAMOLED Plus

Will it be 4G? If not, i can see the $199 pricetag... but if it's 4G, they're not going to offer it at $50-100 less than the other 4G competition.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
You may want to check your specs. The Charge is sporting a SAMOLED+ display. Also, there is no telling what the SGS2 will be once it comes to VZW as the Fascinate had differences in internal storage compared to other SGS phones.
Thanks. Fixed.

Will it be 4G? If not, i can see the $199 pricetag... but if it's 4G, they're not going to offer it at $50-100 less than the other 4G competition.
If this is the phone you will have for the next 1-2 years, does it make sense to see the announcement this month?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar