Please read before you purchase the Droid Charge

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok so my suggestions before buying this phone:

[TIP]
  • When buying full retail price , Please shop around and when you go to any retailer bring a print out of a lower price somewhere, most will price match
  • If you plan on rooting please remember to ask them NOT TO UPDATE the phone, if they ask why just tell them you want to wait because you heard it was buggy , make something up random reboots or something. I will be working with imnuts (he is a dev not me,im just helping to test) on getting clockwork to run at which point we can just flash a root zip file and that will be that.
  • You want ED1.....ED2 is the one that is having trouble getting root
[/TIP]

Last edited:

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
didn't see this prior to getting mine.. what is the kernal etc running on a non updated one? I don't think they pushed the update but i am not sure?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
didn't see this prior to getting mine.. what is the kernal etc running on a non updated one? I don't think they pushed the update but i am not sure?

Kernel # will always be the same until Gingerbread desipite the kernel used

the build and baseband of an updated charge will be ED2,,,,,,you want to keep ED1

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
the kernel should be able to change prior to GB? @ least it could on EPIC and Incredible? There are a number of post root ones (especially on epic)

no, i meant the number that shows up in the about phone section will always have the same number despite the kernel you use

it will always say 2.6.32.9

Poloasis

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine came with ED2, the rep just did it after the 4g activation. I didn't know about I until I looked the baseband ver. Does that mean Samsung is taking the same path as Motorola and HTC? I know that we don't know why rooting ED2 is different from ED1 or is this a boot loader sig?

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Will there ever be a way to root this phone if you install the OTA (Not sure what that stands for)?

I don't yet know if I'll root, but I like the possibility of doing it if I so choose, even a year down the road. I'm all set to buy this phone, this is one of my last couple hanging points. I'm new to smartphones, so not sure I'll even go to the trouble, but I hate that it may not even be an option.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah of course :) The OTA or ( Over The Air) download this time was a sneaky quick fix for 3g 4g but was bundled in with something that prevents our current method of rooting. If you were to look at forums for almost ANY new device you will notice that the first little while is slow and then there will be MULTIPLE ways or rooting. This is nothing new in the phone world it just gives me a case of the Monday's :)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Will there ever be a way to root this phone if you install the OTA (Not sure what that stands for)?

I don't yet know if I'll root, but I like the possibility of doing it if I so choose, even a year down the road. I'm all set to buy this phone, this is one of my last couple hanging points. I'm new to smartphones, so not sure I'll even go to the trouble, but I hate that it may not even be an option.
Yeah I know at least one way already. Just waiting on imnuts to finish modding clockwork

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Reactions: UTchicagoV

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I purchased my Charge and made sure not to let them update it... I'm not looking to root anytime soon, pretty happy with how its running thus far. Is the update any big benefit to me, or am I not missing out on anything with it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae