07-12-2011 01:48 PM
49 12
tools
    Thanks Barry, but it looks like that doesn't work on the Charge. Without hitting 'send', the phone keyboard just sits there with the entered #s, I get no prompt or any verbiage at all.
    I did this on my charge and it worked. I went to the dialer and typed ##4772579# and it took me to a screen and asked about clearing GPS...I can't guarantee that it fixed my GPS issue since I'm deeply embedded inside a building right now, but I did get the screen they're talking about.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I'm rooted...I don't know if that should matter or not....
    06-06-2011 01:18 PM
    I did this on my charge and it worked. I went to the dialer and typed ##4772579# and it took me to a screen and asked about clearing GPS...I can't guarantee that it fixed my GPS issue since I'm deeply embedded inside a building right now, but I did get the screen they're talking about.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I'm rooted...I don't know if that should matter or not....
    Wow. I can't believe it works for you guys. I can only get that menu to pop up on my Evo. Well, to properly do it, you have to clear it and then be outside before it reboots in order to get a lock. I would then reboot after I establish a solid lock.
    06-06-2011 01:40 PM

Yup, it looks like the phone needs to be rooted since that appears to be the only variable between those that can't get it to work and those that can.
    06-06-2011 01:47 PM
    I am able to do the reset w/o root there must be inconsistencies among the phones. I am on ED 2, doubt if thats the reason. Weird
    06-06-2011 02:11 PM
    I've had my phone for 1 week and have used the GPS several times for driving navigation. It's the first GPS I've used, so I don't have anything to compare against, but it seemed to do well getting me where I wanted to go. When I chose to deviate from its path it would recalculate a new path to the destination. So far so good.
    06-06-2011 04:25 PM
    Yup, it looks like the phone needs to be rooted since that appears to be the only variable between those that can't get it to work and those that can.
    I'm rooted (Altered Beast). Can't do it. =(
    06-06-2011 07:56 PM
    That number doesn't do anything for me, either. I am not rooted
    06-06-2011 08:21 PM
    I'm rooted (Altered Beast). Can't do it. =(
    That's odd because I'm also running Altered Beast....

I also have another issue now: my GPS locks on, but then once I started moving, it was traveling the wrong way down the road I was on...I'm not sure what that was about, but I recall reading somewhere that someone else had a similar issue with navigation instructions being backwards or something. Has anyone else noticed this?
    06-07-2011 06:23 AM
    That's odd because I'm also running Altered Beast....

I also have another issue now: my GPS locks on, but then once I started moving, it was traveling the wrong way down the road I was on...I'm not sure what that was about, but I recall reading somewhere that someone else had a similar issue with navigation instructions being backwards or something. Has anyone else noticed this?
    You must be holding the phone backwards. Try holding it the other way
    06-07-2011 06:48 AM
    You must be holding the phone backwards. Try holding it the other way
    Hahaha, I wish it was that easy. I thought I was losing my mind at first, but once I realized what was happening, I remembered that someone else complained on some forum (not very helpful, I know, but I've been all over various forums about the GPS, so they all blur together) about their navigation directions being backwards or telling them they're going the wrong way. I'm still trying to find where I saw that.
    06-07-2011 09:38 AM
    i have had this phone since monday and have yet to get the GPS to tell me where I was correctly. Tried at least once a day and yesterday it was off by a whole city. Prob going to return the phone and resign myself to waiting for the Galaxy S 2 since the screen has ruined all phone screens ever for me
    06-08-2011 05:14 PM
    Hmmm.... I've had no issues, thus far. Takes up to a minute sometimes, but always gets it right when it finds a signal.
    06-08-2011 06:52 PM
    Mine is very fast on WiFi (about 10 seconds), but slower on GPS (up to a minute), but it always does find me.
    06-08-2011 08:06 PM
    i have had this phone since monday and have yet to get the GPS to tell me where I was correctly. Tried at least once a day and yesterday it was off by a whole city. Prob going to return the phone and resign myself to waiting for the Galaxy S 2 since the screen has ruined all phone screens ever for me
    Do you get the same results when you are outside in direct view of the sky? Have you turned on ALL of the location services including GPS?

I know that when I am indoors, the first "fix" I get is with the VZW cell-tower location fixes. Sometimes its close and other times several miles off. Usually it starts "wandering" as other "location" methodologies kick in...then I get a full lock of the GPS (if I'm upstairs or near a window) and I get my true location within 50 meters.

Same thing happened with my AT&T Fuze running Google Maps OR other GPS maps/location services...part of the assisted GPS environment no matter which phone.

On the other hand, if your GPS is turned on and you are outside in view of the sky for at least 4-5 mins and still don't get a 50 meter lock, it's time for a phone/GPS exchange!
    06-09-2011 09:11 AM
    It makes me wonder how the Iphone always got such a fast fix on Google no matter where I was. Weird.
    06-09-2011 09:39 AM
    It makes me wonder how the Iphone always got such a fast fix on Google no matter where I was. Weird.
    Amen Ken! My iphone had the absolute BEST GPS of any device I ever used. It locked fast and was frighteningly accurate. That is the only thing I miss about that phone...and I do mean only!!!!!
    schartzr likes this.
    06-09-2011 11:09 AM
    Amen Ken! My iphone had the absolute BEST GPS of any device I ever used. It locked fast and was frighteningly accurate. That is the only thing I miss about that phone...and I do mean only!!!!!
    That's because the iPhone is always watching you...
    schartzr likes this.
    06-09-2011 11:22 AM
    That's because the iPhone is always watching you...
    LOL! LOL! Good one :-)
    06-09-2011 12:42 PM
    Hopefully the ee4 update fixes the GPS time issue. Don't use the charge to generalize Android vs Apple. My D1s GPS was lighting fast and had no issues. In fact it worked a bunch of times when my friends iPhones' GPS were messing up.
    06-09-2011 02:10 PM
    GPS takes a long time to connect. When it does connect it works really good unless I try to do anything else. Was trying to listen to music from my phone using the headphone jack plugged into the car stereo. Within 2 minutes of starting the music GPS signal is lost and will not come back until I close the music program and the navigation app, turn off and back on the GPS. Then it still takes 2 minutes or so to find the signal. I thought at first it was a power issue even though I had it plugged in with a car charger. I am still within my 14 day period and may have to take the thing back if it cant handle two tasks at one time which are the same two tasks I could do on a blackberry.
    06-11-2011 04:16 PM
    I love this phone but the GPS is just abysmal. I can be standing outside without any structures around and this thing just can NOT get a GPS signal. I've waited over a minute and I get nothing.

My iPhone would find me and lock in GPS every time, it was rock-solid.

Is there any connection between 4G and GPS issues? I am in a 4G area.
    06-27-2011 06:12 PM
    You're not alone Skullbussa. Mine can take several minutes before locking on. I think the GPS is every bit as sensitive as the antenna that captures that 'robust' 4G signal. In other words it's pretty bad.
    kb0uy likes this.
    06-27-2011 06:16 PM
    Ken, you're right.

I just took my phone outside (I'm in downtown San Antonio, surrounded by tall buildings) and turned off LTE. I then fired up Google Navigation and I IMMEDIATELY got a GPS lock-on.

Sounds like there's definitely interference either in the antenna or on the chip itself where 4G/LTE totally jacks up GPS.
    06-27-2011 09:05 PM
    GPS takes a long time to connect. When it does connect it works really good unless I try to do anything else. Was trying to listen to music from my phone using the headphone jack plugged into the car stereo. Within 2 minutes of starting the music GPS signal is lost and will not come back until I close the music program and the navigation app, turn off and back on the GPS. Then it still takes 2 minutes or so to find the signal. I thought at first it was a power issue even though I had it plugged in with a car charger. I am still within my 14 day period and may have to take the thing back if it cant handle two tasks at one time which are the same two tasks I could do on a blackberry.
    I observed the same GPS signal lost issue - On a long driving vacation I spent many hours using the navigator in my car dock. Never had a problem with GPS signal loss. Until, on some long drives, I plugged in my headset and listened to audio. I started to occasionally get a pop-up with "GPS Signal Lost" and the navigator would freeze. After a minute or 2, the navigator would reaquire and continue. Without the headset - never had a dropout. With the headset - probably one dropout per 2 hours.
    07-12-2011 01:48 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD