How's your GPS?

robbie1288

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
im having trouble with my GPS. it constantly is like 4or5 streets away from my location... and also when i use an app such as Grindr,or any other location app, it doesnt even show me in the same state that i actually am in.. if i go to maps it shows ,me in at least the correct state... but not in app. anyone know what could help??...

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, maybe it's just me, but when I dial ##4772579# and hit 'send', I get 'your call can't be completed as dialed'. If I don't hit 'send', the screen does nothing. Am I missing something?

You are entering the correct string. Try not pressing send. When I enter the string it pops up with enter SPC. I then enter 000000 (six zeroes).

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
im having trouble with my GPS. it constantly is like 4or5 streets away from my location... and also when i use an app such as Grindr,or any other location app, it doesnt even show me in the same state that i actually am in.. if i go to maps it shows ,me in at least the correct state... but not in app. anyone know what could help??...

I was having the same problem when trying to find a Starbucks. It took me to a subdivision:eek:

I power cycled and entered the GPS reset code and now it works fine. Not sure which one fixed it.:)

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You are entering the correct string. Try not pressing send. When I enter the string it pops up with enter SPC. I then enter 000000 (six zeroes).

Thanks Barry, but it looks like that doesn't work on the Charge. Without hitting 'send', the phone keyboard just sits there with the entered #s, I get no prompt or any verbiage at all.

s0n1c

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Barry, but it looks like that doesn't work on the Charge. Without hitting 'send', the phone keyboard just sits there with the entered #s, I get no prompt or any verbiage at all.

I did this on my charge and it worked. I went to the dialer and typed ##4772579# and it took me to a screen and asked about clearing GPS...I can't guarantee that it fixed my GPS issue since I'm deeply embedded inside a building right now, but I did get the screen they're talking about.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I'm rooted...I don't know if that should matter or not....

mylasthope

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I did this on my charge and it worked. I went to the dialer and typed ##4772579# and it took me to a screen and asked about clearing GPS...I can't guarantee that it fixed my GPS issue since I'm deeply embedded inside a building right now, but I did get the screen they're talking about.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I'm rooted...I don't know if that should matter or not....

Wow. I can't believe it works for you guys. I can only get that menu to pop up on my Evo. Well, to properly do it, you have to clear it and then be outside before it reboots in order to get a lock. I would then reboot after I establish a solid lock.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Yup, it looks like the phone needs to be rooted since that appears to be the only variable between those that can't get it to work and those that can.

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I am able to do the reset w/o root there must be inconsistencies among the phones. I am on ED 2, doubt if thats the reason. Weird

turkishcoffee

May 31, 2011
Visit site
My GPS seems to work fine

I've had my phone for 1 week and have used the GPS several times for driving navigation. It's the first GPS I've used, so I don't have anything to compare against, but it seemed to do well getting me where I wanted to go. When I chose to deviate from its path it would recalculate a new path to the destination. So far so good.

s0n1c

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm rooted (Altered Beast). Can't do it. =(

That's odd because I'm also running Altered Beast....

I also have another issue now: my GPS locks on, but then once I started moving, it was traveling the wrong way down the road I was on...I'm not sure what that was about, but I recall reading somewhere that someone else had a similar issue with navigation instructions being backwards or something. Has anyone else noticed this?

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
That's odd because I'm also running Altered Beast....

I also have another issue now: my GPS locks on, but then once I started moving, it was traveling the wrong way down the road I was on...I'm not sure what that was about, but I recall reading somewhere that someone else had a similar issue with navigation instructions being backwards or something. Has anyone else noticed this?

You must be holding the phone backwards. Try holding it the other way :p

s0n1c

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You must be holding the phone backwards. Try holding it the other way :p

Hahaha, I wish it was that easy. I thought I was losing my mind at first, but once I realized what was happening, I remembered that someone else complained on some forum (not very helpful, I know, but I've been all over various forums about the GPS, so they all blur together) about their navigation directions being backwards or telling them they're going the wrong way. I'm still trying to find where I saw that.

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
i have had this phone since monday and have yet to get the GPS to tell me where I was correctly. Tried at least once a day and yesterday it was off by a whole city. Prob going to return the phone and resign myself to waiting for the Galaxy S 2 since the screen has ruined all phone screens ever for me

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm.... I've had no issues, thus far. Takes up to a minute sometimes, but always gets it right when it finds a signal.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Mine is very fast on WiFi (about 10 seconds), but slower on GPS (up to a minute), but it always does find me.

rmanaka

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
i have had this phone since monday and have yet to get the GPS to tell me where I was correctly. Tried at least once a day and yesterday it was off by a whole city. Prob going to return the phone and resign myself to waiting for the Galaxy S 2 since the screen has ruined all phone screens ever for me

Do you get the same results when you are outside in direct view of the sky? Have you turned on ALL of the location services including GPS?

I know that when I am indoors, the first "fix" I get is with the VZW cell-tower location fixes. Sometimes its close and other times several miles off. Usually it starts "wandering" as other "location" methodologies kick in...then I get a full lock of the GPS (if I'm upstairs or near a window) and I get my true location within 50 meters.

Same thing happened with my AT&T Fuze running Google Maps OR other GPS maps/location services...part of the assisted GPS environment no matter which phone.

On the other hand, if your GPS is turned on and you are outside in view of the sky for at least 4-5 mins and still don't get a 50 meter lock, it's time for a phone/GPS exchange!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463