How's your GPS?

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm reading a mixed bag on the GPS front... curious if there are simply a few bad phones out there, or if this is a Fascinate all over again?

mboverst

May 15, 2011
plus.google.com
My GPS takes 1-3 seconds to lock on and is perfect. I purchased my Charge on the Saturday release and running ED2. I'm on day two of driving around and testing it with no issues. In case it matters, I'm located in Dallas.

imnuts

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
It seems with each update that Samsung pushes out, GPS gets slightly better. I don't know if they're making the service more reliable, or what they're doing. I'm sure that once we can flash ROMs and get root again on ED2, we may be able to improve it slightly with some of the mods that were used on the Fascinate.

hooskins

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I've only started dabbling with the GPS last few days and I am noticing issues. Takes a long time to search for GPS. Like 30 secs to a few minutes long. Was able to use the d1 from the same places with little to no issue. Now I'm always running wifi indoor and soon as I step outside I hit up the nav right as its connecting to data. Tomorrow morning I will switch off my wifi, establish my data connection and then try nav.

bellison41

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing. My GPS was working GREAT and now it is taking several minutes to connect even if it does. Im not sure what the problem is, but I would like to find a resolve to the issue. I don't use the feature very often, but I have needed to use it the last couple of days and gave up after about 5-7 min.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm reading a mixed bag on the GPS front... curious if there are simply a few bad phones out there, or if this is a Fascinate all over again?

Mine is spotty at best. Takes a good long while to lock in then usually is about 25 to 50 feet off target.

Last edited:

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing. My GPS was working GREAT and now it is taking several minutes to connect even if it does. Im not sure what the problem is, but I would like to find a resolve to the issue. I don't use the feature very often, but I have needed to use it the last couple of days and gave up after about 5-7 min.

Mine seems to have issues when I'm using 4g. I usually have to turn 4g off and clear gps cached data using the program GPS Status. After doing that it usually locks on within seconds.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
The few times I have used mine it has worked great. I keep the GPS radio turned off normally, and just use the network for location-based services, but I can turn it on and it syncs within 10 seconds or so, even inside, and navigation works perfectly after that. Knock on wood though, I really don't wanna jinx it!

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My gps is inaccurate it used to work great. Powered off, will try again.

UPDATE: After the power cycle NAV now works. I do not know why it was inaccurate before. When I first got the Charge it worked great. Later on I noticed it would be off by about 1000 ft. The only problem it has now is when you arrive at the destination it says problem loading image, I can live with that. I am going to try reinstalling Google maps to see it it makes a difference. I guess in the future I will cycle power before using NAV.

PS: The GPS appears to lock on quickly so I do not think the GPS is the problem.

Last edited:

bellison41

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I have tried about everything I know to do (other than WiFi at work can't connect) i waited over 8 min and still no connection. The "Searching for GPS" is getting old.

mylasthope

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. It's really hit or miss. sometimes it locks fast. There was a way to reset the gps on the evo. ##gpsclrx#. I wonder if there is a way to do the same on our phones.

Reactions: barrycinti

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The first few tries it takes a min or two to lock on but after a week of use it locks on right away.

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. It's really hit or miss. sometimes it locks fast. There was a way to reset the gps on the evo. ##gpsclrx#. I wonder if there is a way to do the same on our phones.

Your da man!! Tried the code in your message and it works!! GPS now locks on indoors in about 15-30 seconds.

THX:)

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So far it has worked well for me.so far. It almost sounds like for you guys having problems they are similar to what I was having with Thunderbolt. I'm wondering if some of the problems are associated with 4g more so than the phones themselves.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Are those #s you'd dial from the phone keypad and then hit send...or is that a really dumb question???

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Are those #s you'd dial from the phone keypad and then hit send...or is that a really dumb question???

Yes, enter the #s from the phone keypad. Enter 000000 (six zeroes) for the unlock code. It will respond with a prompt that something like reset GPS? Click OK

The only dumb question is the one not asked:D

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
OK, maybe it's just me, but when I dial ##4772579# and hit 'send', I get 'your call can't be completed as dialed'. If I don't hit 'send', the screen does nothing. Am I missing something?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante