So I've been using an iPhone 3GS (the old one) for a couple of years and have regularly used Skype to video conference on the phone with my kids back home. It has been a little difficult because the 3GS doesn't have a front facing camera. So I'd have to use a mirror, etc.

I bought the Charge in part because it has a front facing camera and I was looking forward to using Skype with it to do the same thing I had done on my iPhone....but....

Does Skype not have video conference capability on the Charge? It doesn't appear to. Is there another alternative that works cross platform? (So my kids can use their i-whatevers or Skype on the desktop and I can use my charge?)

Like the phone...but really surprised about some of the things this phone doesn't yet have....or am I wrong about this?

Thanks for the help.
    05-18-2011 10:42 PM
    there are a number of cross platform compatible pgrms but to save you headache.... give it 30 days .. i hate to say that when i know you would love to conference with your kids, but the pgrms are still not updated to work 100% ((screen sideways audio lag etc...) but also know that Google Chat will soon provide video chat on your mobile device and this is what I am personally waiting for the most
    05-19-2011 12:43 AM
    there are a number of cross platform compatible pgrms but to save you headache.... give it 30 days .. i hate to say that when i know you would love to conference with your kids, but the pgrms are still not updated to work 100% ((screen sideways audio lag etc...) but also know that Google Chat will soon provide video chat on your mobile device and this is what I am personally waiting for the most
    Thanks for the response. I'm really loving the charge with a few exceptions. This is one of them as is the annoying copy-and-paste (lack of native universal across device support).

I'm sort of hoping they update the SKYPE app, not the gChat app. The beauty of Skype video is that it works well across all platforms (iOS, Windows, etc.) -- wish it would work on Android.

So, there's no other video chat app that works across platform like this that's on Android, right?
    05-19-2011 11:03 AM
    I believe Tango works well across platforms. A Tango developer chimed in here the other day that their developers are working out the issues with the Charge right now and it should be working perfectly soon.
    05-19-2011 11:06 AM
    Check out Qik video connect, I've used on to do iphone/android video conference and it works pretty well.
    05-19-2011 04:28 PM
    also check out yahoo messenger. you need to add the plug in for video chat.
    05-22-2011 05:02 PM
    Yahoo messenger only uses the rear camera on the Charge. Its a shame because its the only one that didnt have the extremely bad audio lag. Hopefully theybwere come out with something soon. They have 10 days before my return windows is up...VZW, you are on the clock.
    05-22-2011 10:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD