Root to free up RAM

mystiphi

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I recently switched from Blackberry to the Droid Charge so I'm kind of new to the concept of rooting but I have read several articles describing what it enables you to do. It technically doesn't change anything but allows you the ability to change things after you do it if I understand correctly.

I love the phone and especially the network speed but here is my issue. After downloading the apps I need (and want) and moving all that were allowed to be moved to the SD card, my free RAM is still < 100 MB. I wonder if it has anything to do with the pre-installed apps that are on the Charge. I frequently find myself force closing apps when lag begins to show up. It even reset itself yesterday while I was trying to multitask (stream music, text, IM, and use the web).

Is there any way to remove these apps? Do I have to root my phone to remove them? Is this even my issue? I'm sure there's something I haven't thought of. I just want it to run smooth and clean. I'm open to suggestions and/or comments. Any help is appreciated.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Your post refers to "RAM" but is actually referring to "space" physically having a app on the phone doest mean it is taking up any RAM. Only running processes use RAM. The android OS works quite differently than your BB in the way it manages RAM usage and it will automatically close the least used app if it is necessary to free some up for a current process. I would not stress the RAM issue and rooting will allow you to "freeze" the pre installed apps using Titanium Backup, but if your thinking of doing that for RAM then your just wasting time...

Reactions: mystiphi

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital