Wow just realized this isnt using gorilla glass

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Normal glass has a hardness of 6-7 on Mohs scale, whereas steel (an Fe-containing alloy) in jewelry typically has a hardness of 4-8 depending on the composition (low for C-steel, high for W-steel). Brass keys (copper and zinc) have a hardness of 2-3.

So, your "girlfriend experience" may not be that diagnostic. ;)

Haha, thanks for the technicals. I wasn't going to pull my Benchmade knife out and carve away, that's not a fair test. Just as long as the damn screen doesn't scratch up easily that's all I'm concerned about.

hockeymn25

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I finally broke down and got one for $149 today, couldn't be happier! But yeah, it definitely feels like Gorilla Glass. I'm not gonna go and try to scratch it to see, but it feels and sounds just like Gorilla Glass on other phones, which feels different from anything else. Besides, its a Galaxy S phone, why would it not?

149? Where?

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
149? Where?

HH Gregg. Amazon had it on sale for $199 upgrade yesterday, and HH Gregg will price match. They can price match OR give you the NE2 credit, which most resellers can't do. I asked if he could do both, he said no, but was eager to make the sale. I told him if he could price match and then credit my NE2, thereby undercutting Amazon, I'd buy it, otherwise I was gonna go home without it. He called his boss, and I was pleasantly surprised that he approved it! So $199 price match - $50 NE2 credit = $149! :cool:

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Wow...I can't believe how a few people are "shocked" you would "dare" to try to "damage" the screen...

Hell, why not? It's a test unit isn't it? He's testing to see if it can withstand something they are claiming it should be able to withstand. I see nothing wrong with that. I'd want to know the same answer, and I'd probably do the same thing to find out. If it gets scratched, the store can replace it when they eventually notice it...

chillenj60

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I got it for 160 with no tax on the letstalk deal over the weekend. I thought that was really good, but 150 is better if it was tax free.

me too. curious to see if costco undercuts it or not, and if so, by how much. may not be worth returning and transferring everything for $20-$30, but depends on how much costco's price is. if you buy from let's talk, do they reverse the upgrade and make you immediately eligible for upgrade when you get an RMA, or do they have to get the phones back first? i just don't want to have to wait for the phones to get returned to then be eligible for upgrade in costco's system.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
All the other Galaxy S phones have it, so of course this does too. And its definitely possible to scratch Gorilla Glass, just takes a grain of the right kind of sand.

saillling4life

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
me too. curious to see if costco undercuts it or not, and if so, by how much. may not be worth returning and transferring everything for $20-$30, but depends on how much costco's price is. if you buy from let's talk, do they reverse the upgrade and make you immediately eligible for upgrade when you get an RMA, or do they have to get the phones back first? i just don't want to have to wait for the phones to get returned to then be eligible for upgrade in costco's system.
Costco is going to have a sale starting June 9th, I belive I'll be $139 off. I don't know how long this deal will last but there is also a thread for it.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it does have gorilla glass. It scratches to easy. So my first charge I dropped it and the screen got scratched,so I ordered a replacement and that one had a scratch on it so I told verizon and they sent another one.The third one was worse than the 1st and 2nd one. The 2nd one was the best with one little scratch,but then I turn it on and it has a dead pixel. I kept the 2nd one because I'm tired of switching phones. I've dropped my old phones like the samsung fascinate on its screen before with no scratches,so unless some one can show documentation I beleive it doesn't.

fortesquieu

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it does have gorilla glass. It scratches to easy. So my first charge I dropped it and the screen got scratched,so I ordered a replacement and that one had a scratch on it so I told verizon and they sent another one.The third one was worse than the 1st and 2nd one. The 2nd one was the best with one little scratch,but then I turn it on and it has a dead pixel. I kept the 2nd one because I'm tired of switching phones. I've dropped my old phones like the samsung fascinate on its screen before with no scratches,so unless some one can show documentation I beleive it doesn't.

We have the similar situation, its not even funny!! haha

My first Charge has call problems, so I got a replacement, it came with some scratches on it. So they sent another one, which also has a dead pixel! I'm now on the third one.

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I found 2 small scratches. Had he phone for 2 months. I bought a bodyguardz wet screen protector and really like it. Always hated screen protectors but knowing my screen isn't getting jacked up in my pocket is worth it.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I found 2 small scratches. Had he phone for 2 months. I bought a bodyguardz wet screen protector and really like it. Always hated screen protectors but knowing my screen isn't getting jacked up in my pocket is worth it.

Well the one I have now has a small scratch at the top,which I said screw it but then I found a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen.Thought I could deal but its starting to bug me. Why does the screen scatch so easy? Anybody think i can call samsung and get them to fix it?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Well the one I have now has a small scratch at the top,which I said screw it but then I found a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen.Thought I could deal but its starting to bug me. Why does the screen scatch so easy? Anybody think i can call samsung and get them to fix it?

Gorilla glass still scratches and it still breaks. A common myth is that it is somehow indestructible thanks to the gorilla glass. It is not. Samsung will do nothing for you.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Gorilla glass still scratches and it still breaks. A common myth is that it is somehow indestructible thanks to the gorilla glass. It is not. Samsung will do nothing for you.

Yes but I have dropped phones that I have had in the past, Like the fascinate or the moto droid they have landed on there screen before and there were no scratches on the screen. I know how strong gorilla glass is. The charge will get scratched just sitting in your pocket. The fact that I got two replacement charges and they both have scratches on there screens tells me something. Also the charges screen even feels different. I was hoping Samsung could help me since it has the dead pixel.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Yes but I have dropped phones that I have had in the past, Like the fascinate or the moto droid they have landed on there screen before and there were no scratches on the screen. I know how strong gorilla glass is. The charge will get scratched just sitting in your pocket. The fact that I got two replacement charges and they both have scratches on there screens tells me something. Also the charges screen even feels different. I was hoping Samsung could help me since it has the dead pixel.

You're letting your imagination get to you. It has Gorilla Glass. I could go into some long explanation about the intricacies of glass engineering, etc., but I won't. Long story short, every piece of glass is different, and every design is different. If you dropped three different phones the exact same way, different things would happen to each. It sucks, but its the nature of the beast.

jason821

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You're letting your imagination get to you. It has Gorilla Glass. I could go into some long explanation about the intricacies of glass engineering, etc., but I won't. Long story short, every piece of glass is different, and every design is different. If you dropped three different phones the exact same way, different things would happen to each. It sucks, but its the nature of the beast.

I don't think this phone has the same glass as a fascinate. My fascinate was beaten and battered and the screen was scratch free. The charge screen is full of scratches.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Steinheil ultra oleophobic screen protector. Awesome feel, perfect clarity, barely a fingerprint visible.

Droid Charge - Tapatalk

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't think this phone has the same glass as a fascinate. My fascinate was beaten and battered and the screen was scratch free. The charge screen is full of scratches.

That's what I was saying, I've dropped my fascinate a lot and no scatches at all glad someone else noticed. The charge is using something different. I'm going to get it replaced again because of the dead pixel,but like I said the 2nd charge they send had scatches all over the screen. How much is that screen protector? What do you guys think of zag screen protector that best buy sells?

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
That's what I was saying, I've dropped my fascinate a lot and no scatches at all glad someone else noticed. The charge is using something different. I'm going to get it replaced again because of the dead pixel,but like I said the 2nd charge they send had scatches all over the screen. How much is that screen protector? What do you guys think of zag screen protector that best buy sells?

About $14 for the Steinheils, includes 2 protectors. Definitely the best protector I've tried to date. Realook crystal clear protectors attract too many fingerprints, and the anti-fingerprint protectors lose too much of the SAMOLED+ clarity.

Droid Charge - Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01