Thunderbolt vs Charge

saillling4life

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I know this has been a very talked about topic, but I really can't decide exactly which I want. Plus it seems as if the Thunderbolt always goes on sale at Wirefly, so I don't know if I should buy the Charge, which I want more, or save a extra couple bucks and get the Thunderbolt.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I played with the TB, but wound up with the Charge. The screen is better, the battery life is better, it's just as fast as the TB, so I found it to be a better overall device. But be forewarned, there is an issue with these 4G phones getting data when they drop down to 3G. Not everyone experiences them, but many do.

I've seen it occur on every 4G device that Verizon carries. I even demonstrated it to a Verizon sales person so that he could make note of it and get it logged. The more of these complaints that Verizon hears, the faster we'll get a fix.

Halcyon

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Always go for what you want. Get the charge. You will be happier. Trust me... I've had both and sold the bolt. The charge is a better device.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ive owned both and i am super happy with my Charge over the TB , its lighter, easier to work with as far as rooting. Screen is leaps and bounds bettery.

People talk about lag but after you rom this thing its a beast (Hence Altered Beast lol)
Here is a video of it in action you will see there is no lag.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
this thread should be in a neutral section of the forums to get a more accurate poll of users. having this thread in a Charge category isn't as accurate of what everyone feels...just saying...

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I liked the TB but it just had to many bugs that effected me. Some I could live with some I couldn't. I will say I do think the TB has a better antenna, it seems to have no problem with 4G in my house where the charge struggles a little to hold 4G. I was going to bring it back for that reason but the reality is I dont really NEED 4G in my house because I can just use wifi.

One thing I hated was the sound issue with the video recorder on the TB, I dont use it much but I would hate to NOT have sound when I did record something. Though the first day with the charge I went to take a picture of my daughter in a parade with the brownies and the camera was stuck on and had a lock on the screen and it would not let me take a picture or even back out of that mode, my only option was to reboot the phone.

Being a camera guy I look at that, the TB has a nice editing program that makes it easy to adjust the photos after you take them. The quality of both seem equal but defiantly better then any motorola I have ever owned

The screen is better on the charge and the battery is no contest on the charge.

The TB UI is better and smoother then the charge but I have no problem using a launcher as that is what I did on all my motorola phones.

The battery life would not have bothered me on the TB if it was consistent but it was not, I could get 20 hours using the phone a lot with the extended battery and the next day not use the phone at all and get 6-8

but the straw that broke the camels back was when I realized the phone deleted a few of my contacts

I know samsung is bad with updating their phones but I am sure I will buy a new one before I have to worry about that

Reactions: brackett5

trifecta

May 23, 2011
Visit site
but the straw that broke the camels back was when I realized the phone deleted a few of my contacts

I know samsung is bad with updating their phones but I am sure I will buy a new one before I have to worry about that

I lost some contacts when I went to the Charge. I have no idea how, how many, or why. They should have updated fine from my Gmail or Backup Assistant.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I lost some contacts when I went to the Charge. I have no idea how, how many, or why. They should have updated fine from my Gmail or Backup Assistant.

I lost them before switching, a buddy sent me a text only to find he was no longer in my contact list in my phone :eek:

dslayton

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I liked the TB but it just had to many bugs that effected me. Some I could live with some I couldn't. I will say I do think the TB has a better antenna, it seems to have no problem with 4G in my house where the charge struggles a little to hold 4G. I was going to bring it back for that reason but the reality is I dont really NEED 4G in my house because I can just use wifi.

One thing I hated was the sound issue with the video recorder on the TB, I dont use it much but I would hate to NOT have sound when I did record something. Though the first day with the charge I went to take a picture of my daughter in a parade with the brownies and the camera was stuck on and had a lock on the screen and it would not let me take a picture or even back out of that mode, my only option was to reboot the phone.

Being a camera guy I look at that, the TB has a nice editing program that makes it easy to adjust the photos after you take them. The quality of both seem equal but defiantly better then any motorola I have ever owned

The screen is better on the charge and the battery is no contest on the charge.

The TB UI is better and smoother then the charge but I have no problem using a launcher as that is what I did on all my motorola phones.

The battery life would not have bothered me on the TB if it was consistent but it was not, I could get 20 hours using the phone a lot with the extended battery and the next day not use the phone at all and get 6-8

If you press the lock screen button while you are in camera mode, the screen will lock and won't let you do anything. This seems like a feature but I don't see the need.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

saillling4life

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Ive owned both and i am super happy with my Charge over the TB , its lighter, easier to work with as far as rooting. Screen is leaps and bounds bettery.

People talk about lag but after you rom this thing its a beast (Hence Altered Beast lol)
Here is a video of it in action you will see there is no lag.
Once you complete this ROM, will you make a video of how to root it or screen shots? Because I've never rooted a phone and don't want to mess up. Thanks.

fasdf

Banned
May 10, 2011
Visit site
What does rooting do for me on this phone? Just inquisitive, as this is an honest question..

For one thing, it allows you to remove/uninstall the bloatware/trial apps that Verizon has preinstalled on the phone (i.e. Blockbuster, Lets Golf, Rockband, etc...) either manually or using apps that have been written to do so. You'd also be able to backup your app data and restore from these backups in the case that you need to switch phones and such.

And if you want to take it a step further, you can install/backup entire roms that have been optimized or customized to fit the look and feel you like.

Basically, it gives you full access to the phone, which allows you to customize it to your liking. Obviously, it does also allow you to really mess up your phone, but I think as long as you read and follow instructions, you'll be ok.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I know this has been a very talked about topic, but I really can't decide exactly which I want. Plus it seems as if the Thunderbolt always goes on sale at Wirefly, so I don't know if I should buy the Charge, which I want more, or save a extra couple bucks and get the Thunderbolt.

I own both, The Charge is better IMO.

Reactions: trebores

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
For one thing, it allows you to remove/uninstall the bloatware/trial apps that Verizon has preinstalled on the phone (i.e. Blockbuster, Lets Golf, Rockband, etc...) either manually or using apps that have been written to do so. You'd also be able to backup your app data and restore from these backups in the case that you need to switch phones and such.

And if you want to take it a step further, you can install/backup entire roms that have been optimized or customized to fit the look and feel you like.

Basically, it gives you full access to the phone, which allows you to customize it to your liking. Obviously, it does also allow you to really mess up your phone, but I think as long as you read and follow instructions, you'll be ok.

Is there a downside to rooting the phone beyond the possibility of the user screwing up? Will Verizon still service the phone if there's an issue and does it effect the warranty?

Farabomb

May 23, 2011
www.azpinstalls.com
Rooting voids warranty. Some apps (blockbuster and google media iirc) will detect root and refuse to work. I feel I should be able to choose what is on my phone and what I can remove but without rooting do don't get that option. Launcher Pro can hide them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca