4G Phones 3G sensitivity

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I've got the Droid, and thankfully Verizon seems to have fixed the no connectivity 4G to 3G issue in the Long Island area. But does anyone notice that in weaker 3G areas you don't get a connection whereas 3G only phones do? I know the 4G signal doesn't seem to be as robust indoors as 3G signals, but I'm just talking about connectivity in weaker 3G areas indoors.

As an example, my wife's IPhone on Verizon will get a decent signal in say a movie theater in the Westbury, N.Y. area where I just can't get out at all on the internet. I'm not sure if this is a characteristic of all 4G phones or just the Charge.

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've got the Droid, and thankfully Verizon seems to have fixed the no connectivity 4G to 3G issue in the Long Island area. But does anyone notice that in weaker 3G areas you don't get a connection whereas 3G only phones do? I know the 4G signal doesn't seem to be as robust indoors as 3G signals, but I'm just talking about connectivity in weaker 3G areas indoors.

As an example, my wife's IPhone on Verizon will get a decent signal in say a movie theater in the Westbury, N.Y. area where I just can't get out at all on the internet. I'm not sure if this is a characteristic of all 4G phones or just the Charge.

I tried switching to 3G only to see if it made a difference in the data signal, but it did not work. Its strange 4G seems to not be as strong as 3G since 4G operates at 700Mhz, which means it should have better reception in buidings.:confused:

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I think it is the phone because my thunderbolt had better reception,with the TB in my house I could get a decent signal on 4g but the charge has trouble holding 4g. Even WiFi reception was better on the TB, in the can the TB would get 2-3 bars and the charge 0-1 bar at best

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I think we all think 3G sucks because of using LTE most of the time. It feels like it takes forever because LTE speeds are our new standard in speed.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
It seems here in Chicago when I don't have a 4G signal the 3G service is still hit or miss. I do have connection issues at times with 3G only.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
well I just rooted and put the altered beast ROM on my phone and 4G is not holding as good as my TB did

dcc123

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I just did a test with an X2 and my Charge. The x2 is getting waaaay better 3G reception than my charge. This is in a non-4g area.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
We're not talking speeds we're talking connectivity problems/consistency

100% correct. I can handle the drop down in speeds from 4G to 3G, but there are times the 3G signal on the phone is non-existent when you know there is a 3G signal. My wife sitting next to me with her Verizon IPhone is proof of that.

I'm hoping a software update can solve this. Otherwise the Charge has a real handicap in 3G areas.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I just did a test with an X2 and my Charge. The x2 is getting waaaay better 3G reception than my charge. This is in a non-4g area.

Yup. I just don't get it. Why should the 3G reception be so much worse than a 3G only phone? I'm also surprised how fragile the 4G signal is. I can't tell you how many 4G areas I go to where simply stepping in to a building totally erases the 4G signal and drops you down to either 3G or 1X or worse...nothing.