06-13-2011 09:46 PM
187 12345 ...
tools
    I have never done a manual update like this before. My charge is stock and need some assistance with this. Can someone lay out a step by step, VERY detailed, instruction guide for me to complete this update? I have already downloaded the ZIP file.....
    Why not just wait for the OTA update due anytime today (depending on your location). If you get it that way there's nothing to do, just hit "OK". Can't be much easier than that.
    06-09-2011 10:38 AM
    Aaaargh!!!

I updated to EE4, but had to rollback to EE1 as AB didn't work over EE4.

However even though I went back to EE1 my broadband is stuck on EE4 and the OTA to EE2 won't take.

Help?
    06-09-2011 10:45 AM
    there you go fear , im deodexing now
    1e96b63a1f25.SCH-I510_ED2_update.zip
    Is this EE4 or ED2?

*never mind I figured it out, this is EE4 manual update from ED2 OTA.
    06-09-2011 10:56 AM
    It seems the only way to update the Radio as DroidXcon points out is with downgrading using odin stock ed01 then doing OTA updates to get to EE4, though just reading around i would hope that most charge users, and site readers truly Understand everything they are messing with, I'm reading comments above me about people who are likely to be on a rom and are willy nilly flashing whatever they see comes there way without reading ALL the warnings, meaning flashing the ee4 update.zip without first doing downgrade and OTA updates to get The ee4 Radio,Everyone please read all the details first, before trying to mess with your phone.
    So essentially, to reap the benefits of the new EE4 radio, I would need to:

1) flash back to ED1 - rooted (currently running AB4 w/PB&J kernel) [ODIN]
    2) get OTA updates up to EE4 - lose root [OTA]
    3) flash to AB4 - get root again [ODIN]
    4) install kernels/themes/etc.. [CMW]

Did I miss a step? Do I need to flash to ED1 - rooted before going back to AB4?

BTW: The Altered Beast / PB&J kernel combo rocks. Very fast and all day battery life.
    06-09-2011 10:56 AM
    So essentially, to reap the benefits of the new EE4 radio, I would need to:

1) flash back to ED1 - rooted (currently running AB4 w/PB&J kernel) [ODIN]
    2) get OTA updates up to EE4 - lose root [OTA]
    3) flash to AB4 - get root again [ODIN]
    4) install kernels/themes/etc.. [CMW]

Did I miss a step? Do I need to flash to ED1 - rooted before going back to AB4?

BTW: The Altered Beast / PB&J kernel combo rocks. Very fast and all day battery life.
    I followed those steps exactly but once AB reloaded all the EE4 updates were gone.
    06-09-2011 10:58 AM
    Presumably your radio is still updated tho. That is the important part. DroidXcon should be able to incorperate the rest into his ROM.
    06-09-2011 11:00 AM
    Running Launcher Pro and having most of the bloatware hidden shouldn't affect me receiving this OTA correct?
    06-09-2011 11:05 AM
    Presumably your radio is still updated tho. That is the important part. DroidXcon should be able to incorperate the rest into his ROM.
    That's exactly what I'm aiming for. I hope the radio update sticks through all the flashing!
    06-09-2011 11:07 AM
    Running Launcher Pro and having most of the bloatware hidden shouldn't affect me receiving this OTA correct?
    Correct.
    06-09-2011 11:13 AM
    This will be a nice little fix for this already great phone.

Quick question... If I'm on ED1 and I currently have Voodoo with the restructuring of the file system, is this update going to have issues?
    You need to disable Voodoo before doing anything else. Reboot into CWM, disable Voodoo lagfix and reboot again. Use Odin to Flash the "Rooted Stock ED1 Downgrade from ED2" ROM, accept the ED2 OTA update as you did before. Then you copy the file that DroidXcon put in this thread on your SDcard, rename it to Update and reboot again into CWM, apply the update file and you should be all set.

It also sounds like DroidXcon will have an updated version tonight. I hope this helps, but if you do not disable Voodoo it will seriously mess up the phone (I know from personal experience).
    06-09-2011 11:15 AM
    You need to disable Voodoo before doing anything else. Reboot into CWM, disable Voodoo lagfix and reboot again. Use Odin to Flash the "Rooted Stock ED1 Downgrade from ED2" ROM, accept the ED2 OTA update as you did before. Then you copy the file that DroidXcon put in this thread on your SDcard, rename it to Update and reboot again into CWM, apply the update file and you should be all set.

It also sounds like DroidXcon will have an updated version tonight. I hope this helps, but if you do not disable Voodoo it will seriously mess up the phone (I know from personal experience).
    can we simply put the "disable_lagfix" file back into the voodoo folder on the SD card to Disable Voodoo Lagfix? or do we have to disable lagfix in CWM?
    06-09-2011 11:19 AM

Dammit... I accidentally hit Accept for the ED2 update and now my phone is stuck at the SAMSUNG boot screen, won't do anything. Where do I go from here? Ugh.
    06-09-2011 11:24 AM
    Hey all. I work up this morning to the EE4 update. My phone download it and was waiting for me to hit install. I dont really see anything new or out of this world. I gotta tell you though, this being only second day with this phone i fully understand why they named it the droid charge. Its because you spend a lot of time doing that....lol
    06-09-2011 11:59 AM
    Oh and by that way i excited to see how this threat his really taken off. Thank you all so much for the great info you have added
    06-09-2011 12:01 PM
    Dammit... I accidentally hit Accept for the ED2 update and now my phone is stuck at the SAMSUNG boot screen, won't do anything. Where do I go from here? Ugh.
    Try to boot into cvm and disable lag fix then you will need to flash the ed2-ed1 downgrade accept the updates then you should be good make sure you clean the cache as well

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Bravozero and junksecret like this.
    06-09-2011 12:08 PM
    Hey all. I work up this morning to the EE4 update. My phone download it and was waiting for me to hit install. I dont really see anything new or out of this world. I gotta tell you though, this being only second day with this phone i fully understand why they named it the droid charge. Its because you spend a lot of time doing that....lol
    Do you live in a 4G area? If you do, you should see an improvement in going from a 4G area to a 3G area and vice versa. What state do you live in? In N.Y. we still haven't seen the OTA update.
    06-09-2011 12:10 PM
    Important in west Texas now and there is no 4g here
    06-09-2011 12:16 PM
    Damn predictive text. How for i turn that off
    06-09-2011 12:17 PM
    From what I've read, tonight.
    Hope you are right. I call tech support and was told a local store could do the update. Called local store and was told, it is pushed out by Google. I asked for an estimate of how long the rollout would be, was told could be 2-4 weeks. Called back tech support again. Told them store could not do manual update. Tier 2 said it was being rolled gradually. Asked for rollout time and was told at most a few days barring problems. Tier 2 person said he had charge and had also no received EE4. I will wait until beginning of next week, if I do not get EE4 I will call tech support again and ask wassup.

I am interested in getting this update to see if it improves the data connection since it is flaky at my house.
    06-09-2011 12:17 PM
    Important in west Texas now and there is no 4g here
    That's probably why you're not seeing an improvement. Some of this update applies to the phone better recognizing when there's a 4G or 3G signal. Many of us have had issues when switching from one to the other.
    06-09-2011 12:19 PM
    Hope you are right. I call tech support and was told a local store could do the update. Called local store and was told, it is pushed out by Google. I asked for an estimate of how long the rollout would be, was told could be 2-4 weeks. Called back tech support again. Told them store could not do manual update. Tier 2 said it was being rolled gradually. Asked for rollout time and was told at most a few days barring problems. Tier 2 person said he had charge and had also no received EE4. I will wait until beginning of next week, if I do not get EE4 I will call tech support again and ask wassup.

I am interested in getting this update to see if it improves the data connection since it is flaky at my house.
    Some people have gotten it already. It must be geographical in terms of its release.
    06-09-2011 12:20 PM
    Nothing yet in Atlanta.

06-09-2011 12:26 PM
    Nothing yet in Atlanta.

No love in Denver....
    06-09-2011 12:29 PM
    Seattle is bust atm.
    06-09-2011 12:51 PM
    No update just north of Dallas
    06-09-2011 12:54 PM