Droid Charge EE4 update improvements

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Sounds pretty substantial to me, especially the improved browser performance.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

If this update works as promised, it will make this a killer phone. My main gripe at this point is 3G sensitivity, but I guess there's no promise that will be improved by the update.

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
This will be a nice little fix for this already great phone.

Quick question... If I'm on ED1 and I currently have Voodoo with the restructuring of the file system, is this update going to have issues?

triangle8

May 17, 2010
Visit site
EE4 fixed my calendar syncing issues with Exchange. I use the xScope browser and I still think it's faster than the stock browser after the EE4 update.

dimhcs21

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have never done a manual update like this before. My charge is stock and need some assistance with this. Can someone lay out a step by step, VERY detailed, instruction guide for me to complete this update? I have already downloaded the ZIP file.....

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have never done a manual update like this before. My charge is stock and need some assistance with this. Can someone lay out a step by step, VERY detailed, instruction guide for me to complete this update? I have already downloaded the ZIP file.....

Why not just wait for the OTA update due anytime today (depending on your location). If you get it that way there's nothing to do, just hit "OK". Can't be much easier than that.

brianct1972

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Aaaargh!!!

I updated to EE4, but had to rollback to EE1 as AB didn't work over EE4.

However even though I went back to EE1 my broadband is stuck on EE4 and the OTA to EE2 won't take.

Help?

sparkz69

May 5, 2011
Visit site
It seems the only way to update the Radio as DroidXcon points out is with downgrading using odin stock ed01 then doing OTA updates to get to EE4, though just reading around i would hope that most charge users, and site readers truly Understand everything they are messing with, I'm reading comments above me about people who are likely to be on a rom and are willy nilly flashing whatever they see comes there way without reading ALL the warnings, meaning flashing the ee4 update.zip without first doing downgrade and OTA updates to get The ee4 Radio,Everyone please read all the details first, before trying to mess with your phone.

So essentially, to reap the benefits of the new EE4 radio, I would need to:

1) flash back to ED1 - rooted (currently running AB4 w/PB&J kernel) [ODIN]
2) get OTA updates up to EE4 - lose root [OTA]
3) flash to AB4 - get root again [ODIN]
4) install kernels/themes/etc.. [CMW]

Did I miss a step? Do I need to flash to ED1 - rooted before going back to AB4?

BTW: The Altered Beast / PB&J kernel combo rocks. Very fast and all day battery life.

brianct1972

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
So essentially, to reap the benefits of the new EE4 radio, I would need to:

1) flash back to ED1 - rooted (currently running AB4 w/PB&J kernel) [ODIN]
2) get OTA updates up to EE4 - lose root [OTA]
3) flash to AB4 - get root again [ODIN]
4) install kernels/themes/etc.. [CMW]

Did I miss a step? Do I need to flash to ED1 - rooted before going back to AB4?

BTW: The Altered Beast / PB&J kernel combo rocks. Very fast and all day battery life.

I followed those steps exactly but once AB reloaded all the EE4 updates were gone.

elucid

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Presumably your radio is still updated tho. That is the important part. DroidXcon should be able to incorperate the rest into his ROM.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
This will be a nice little fix for this already great phone.

Quick question... If I'm on ED1 and I currently have Voodoo with the restructuring of the file system, is this update going to have issues?

You need to disable Voodoo before doing anything else. Reboot into CWM, disable Voodoo lagfix and reboot again. Use Odin to Flash the "Rooted Stock ED1 Downgrade from ED2" ROM, accept the ED2 OTA update as you did before. Then you copy the file that DroidXcon put in this thread on your SDcard, rename it to Update and reboot again into CWM, apply the update file and you should be all set.

It also sounds like DroidXcon will have an updated version tonight. I hope this helps, but if you do not disable Voodoo it will seriously mess up the phone (I know from personal experience).