Droid Charge EE4 update improvements

anon(344812)

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
As for rooting there's always the possibility that an update can cause trouble when trying to root a phone, but in some cases not. Either way I'm positive this update is being looked at by the right people and they are taking the necessary steps to make it rootable asap if it isn't already. As for a custom rom, it won't matter as the rom will replace this build with whatever build the rom is centered upon.
So if I'm understanding correctly, this update is really only usable for stock users, as custom ROMs (as of right now) will just revert the entire phone back to a pre-EE4 build?

Forgive me for being a novice here. I've been 3 years on iOS. How it worked there is if there was a new FW update by Apple and you were jailbroken, you simply never installed the official release. You had to wait until developers made their own custom version of that latest firmware and installed that. It sounds like that is the case here?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So if I'm understanding correctly, this update is really only usable for stock users, as custom ROMs (as of right now) will just revert the entire phone back to a pre-EE4 build?

Forgive me for being a novice here. I've been 3 years on iOS. How it worked there is if there was a new FW update by Apple and you were jailbroken, you simply never installed the official release. You had to wait until developers made their own custom version of that latest firmware and installed that. It sounds like that is the case here?

we already have it rooted and already have what we need to build custom roms im just having a little problem with my sdcards i dont know if it was the update that is making the card write protected or what ...it could just be my phone lets hope thats the case for everyone.. not so much for me though lol

anon(344812)

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
we already have it rooted and already have what we need to build custom roms im just having a little problem with my sdcards i dont know if it was the update that is making the card write protected or what ...it could just be my phone lets hope thats the case for everyone.. not so much for me though lol
I got that part, I was speaking in regards to applying the update straight from OTA or having to wait for a "custom" EE4 package to install.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I got that part, I was speaking in regards to applying the update straight from OTA or having to wait for a "custom" EE4 package to install.

As of now we have no way of flashing the radio so even when we have a custom package is ready it wont include the radio. so you need to do the OTA no matter what first before you do anything else.

Imnuts says he may have a way to flash the radio but until thats proven OTA is the only way

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
XCon, If I'm reading you correctly, there's no reason to sit on ED1 any longer... is that correct?

I'm sitting here on ED1, being reminded 10x daily of system updates. I've neglected to download them in case I decide to root, but it sounds like this EE4 might be significant to warrant a download. If there's no reason to hang out on ED1, I'd like to update just to get rid of the notification alerts, lol!

bryonp

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I dl the update zip put it in root of my sd card, then i go to recovery mode vol up+home+power then i use vol button to select then hit home button do update but then nothing happens just goes back to the triangle WTF!

brianct1972

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I dl the update zip put it in root of my sd card, then i go to recovery mode vol up+home+power then i use vol button to select then hit home button do update but then nothing happens just goes back to the triangle WTF!

Same here, how do I install the file?

Edit: Trying this now duh me: you need to return to stock , update to ED2 then put that file on your SD card rename it update then boot into stock recovery and apply update.zip

Last edited:

dabomb420

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Showed up for me this morning around 7:00 am, but I'm not going to install it because I'm using Altered Beast Rom and also using a black alien theme to spice it up....

It seems the only way to update the Radio as DroidXcon points out is with downgrading using odin stock ed01 then doing OTA updates to get to EE4, though just reading around i would hope that most charge users, and site readers truly Understand everything they are messing with, I'm reading comments above me about people who are likely to be on a rom and are willy nilly flashing whatever they see comes there way without reading ALL the warnings, meaning flashing the ee4 update.zip without first doing downgrade and OTA updates to get The ee4 Radio,Everyone please read all the details first, before trying to mess with your phone.

To: DroidXcon Your work in progress has been of high quality since the first release, please keep up this amazing work and thank you.

bryonp

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I still have stock ed2 and i got the zip from here so do i delete the name on the zip file and just have it say update.zip or does it still need the numbers in front of it help please!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781