Droid Charge EE4 update improvements

cruser635

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
New to all of this but am interested in the update, as my phone isn't doing HotSpot I'm assuming I haven't had the update pushed to me. Do I have to be on a G4 network to use/install update and how do I utilize the zip file earlier posted to install the update?

sv_one

May 17, 2011
Visit site
New to all of this but am interested in the update, as my phone isn't doing HotSpot I'm assuming I haven't had the update pushed to me. Do I have to be on a G4 network to use/install update and how do I utilize the zip file earlier posted to install the update?

I know it is tempting to d/l the ZIP file posted earlier. But you might want to wait -- one never knows with these things; could be there's a bug in the update [being pushed out by VZ and potentially captured in the ZIP file] and that's why it is rolling out slowly (they're fixing it?), or could be the ZIP file isn't what it is cracked up to be [because VZ changes the update on the fly as needed]. No-one knows.

To fix your HotSpot isn't that hard:
1) d/l Elixir App: https://market.android.com/details?id=bt.android.elixir
2) go to the menu screen (far left hard button), choose WIDGETS
3) add a 1x1 bar widget (or whatever size you want) (do not close/save yet)
4) click on a blank spot on the bar before you add it, include the "Wi-Fi- AP (Hotspot) switch"
5) Save
6) Now you can turn on/off the hotspot whenever you want

That's pretty easy -- easier than downloading an unknown ZIP update...
plus you might like Elixir.

The only issue I had with it is that I needed to change my hotspot settings. (The settings screen won't even work anymore!) To do that, I just changed the date to 5/15, changed the settings, changed it back, all without leaving the settings menu, so didn't cause much disruption in the calendar/etc. area.

You'll get the update eventually -- why rush it if this is your only issue?

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I can say that is sage advice, but its also a bit of a slam on those who work hard to put out the fixes for the users who want to move forward and enhance their phones.

I can tell from the devs we have working on the Charge that they know their stuff and that as they always state, they are not responsible for what you do to your own phone. So if you are uncomfortable then don't do it, but that also goes to everything else. Maybe you should root, use CWM, install a custom kernel. After all anything you do that changes the phone from factory stock voids your warranty and could brick it.

That said caution is always best, if you don't know what you are doing, ASK, sure some forums are a bit more harsh than others but you can tell who will help answer noob questions and those that won't. I personally have sent PM's to several devs involved and received their help, but I also make notes on everything I do and have learned how to fix issues.

That is my $.02.

sv_one

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I can say that is sage advice, but its also a bit of a slam on those who work hard to put out the fixes for the users who want to move forward and enhance their phones
Not sure if you were referring to my (immediately) prior post or not. If you were...
I just want to clarify something -- in no way did I intend to criticize anyone in the non-VZ/Samsung community (i.e. the great people here) indirectly, directly, mildly or otherwise. When I said "could be there's a bug in this update" I was referring to the update pushed out by VZ (and presumably captured in the ZIP file, unless our community is even better than I thought!).

And, really, the advice was given because the poster sounded like he was unsure what to do and a bit of a novice. I'm certainly *not* any kind of an expert, but given there's a non-invasive easy work-around to his only issue, thought worth the advice to avoid the ZIP for now lest it create more problems and hassle than it solves.

And...well....if you weren't.....NVM. :)

(The dev community here *rocks* -- love them. Many thanks to them.)

ron.teed

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I applied the update. Piece of cake. Sent it to my non technical friend with quick self written instructions, and she applied it too..

Overall, excellent update. I had terrible, and I mean terrible screeching on my voice calls. Sadly, that has been reduced dramatically, but not entirely eliminated.

All other fixes are solid.

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I applied the update. Piece of cake. Sent it to my non technical friend with quick self written instructions, and she applied it too..

Overall, excellent update. I had terrible, and I mean terrible screeching on my voice calls. Sadly, that has been reduced dramatically, but not entirely eliminated.

Did you get it OTA or through the link that DroidXcon had posted?

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Are you seeing a difference in 3G sensitivity as well as solid handoffs from 4G to 3G and vice versa?

ron.teed

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Did you get it OTA or through the link that DroidXcon had posted?

I grabbed it from XDA, but I'm pretty sure it was the same one posted here.

4G to 3G hand off seems to be relatively seemless, though to be fair, I have not tested that one other than real world driving and observing.

For those waiting for the update.. this is it. If there are any last minute changes, it will not be EE4.. it will be another named build. I would grab the update and do it yourself. It's no different than if it comes OTA.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am back on Stock Rooted ED1, and instead of going right to EE4, my stupid phone is trying to install ED2 again. So I guess I might as well put CWM on and load the EE4 file so I can get the radio firmware.

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Just to confirm with everyone...

I went ahead and grabbed the EE3 posted on XDA, and my stats are as follows:

BASEBAND VERSION
i510.06.V.EE4
SCH-I510.EE1

BUILD NUMBER
SCH-I510.EE4

For those that have done a real OTA update to EE4, do these match?

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
For those waiting for the update.. this is it. If there are any last minute changes, it will not be EE4.. it will be another named build. I would grab the update and do it yourself. It's no different than if it comes OTA.

Except if you were one of the unfortunate few that had an issue installing it, Verizon could say it wasn't their fault. If you waited for the OTA update, you have every right to hold Verizon responsible for anything that went wrong. At least that's how I view it.

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Except if you were one of the unfortunate few that had an issue installing it, Verizon could say it wasn't their fault. If you waited for the OTA update, you have every right to hold Verizon responsible for anything that went wrong. At least that's how I view it.

...which can easily be solved by flashing back to ED1 and updating all over again to ED2 and EE4 if there are indeed any issues. By that time the EE4 update should have gone out OTA anyway.

Charge5150

May 26, 2011
Visit site
EE4

Has the EE4 update been rolled out to everyone yet? I have my charge on ED2 from ED1 stock but my phone says I am up-to-date? Manual update wont work says it can't validate it from stock Samsung CMW

navigatn

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
ok, so tonight i finally decided to pull the trigger on the EE4 update. I was on the most current AB rom and took a deep breath before i started on to the downgrade.

disable voodoo lagfix...... check

download stock ED2 to ED1 rom ...... check

Odin flash ED1 rom ........ check

got OTA update to ED2 ..... .check

install ED2 update........ check

then i prepared to download the EE4 update.zip from XDA, but first i decided to check my stats.

low and behold, i was already on build# SCH-I510.EE4 !

guess there is no need to download the leak EE4 file anymore. seems after u flash from AB to stock ED1 rom and accept the OTA after, viola... ur official EE4

Reactions: robbie1288

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty