Droid Charge EE4 update improvements

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Just got the update about an 1 hour ago. Very nice. Scrolling is smoother, almost IPhone-smooth at this point. GPS is faster and I'm not yet sure about reception, but I'll have a good idea by tonight since we're going to an area that my wife's Verizon IPhone has no trouble with in terms of 3G data and my Charge struggled with last week.

But so far so good. Oh yeah, and Mobile Hotspot is working again. :)

breonnagy

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I got the ota notification last night. When I tried to instal it failed. I am on non-rooted ED2, but i did root when I was in ED1, and debloated. Am I going to have to go back to stock ED1 then update to ED2 in order to het this thing to work?

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed and I'm not sure if it's by design or if something (relatively minor) broke in this update. When the phone was on standby before the update, if a text message was received you'd get the notification tone, but when you turned the phone on, there would be a green puzzle piece indicating a text message. That no longer is there and the normal gray puzzle piece is all that's there.

jperiod

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I received the OTA notification ( Baltimore, MD area) and update about 1:00 AM. All went smooth, phone rebooted and seems to be a little bit smoother. Otherwise, have not noticed a big difference.

JW

jadaloves

May 25, 2011
Visit site
you need to return to stock , update to ED2 then put that file on your SD card rename it update then boot into stock recovery and apply update.zip

you need to do the update manually or your radio will never update

Sorry but I'm just a wee bit confused. When I returned to stock, I don't get the option to update to ed2...it updates to EE4. So what do I do next to keep EE4 but still run Altered Beast?

Thanks

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I took Xcon's file and updated it manually. So i wont get any OTA thing right? (I know dumb question. So sue me. I get plenty of dumb medical questions, so i'm entitled to my own)

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to say I notice a change in reception in 3G sensitivity, but thus far I don't. A couple of times I turned on the phone in a 3G area and I had 4 bars but no indication if it was 3G, 4G or 1X and then after a several seconds it showed 3G. But until that happened I had no data connectivity.

waterfrontmgmt

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
several means 2 or 3 to most people. is that what you are saying or longer than that?

I'd like to say I notice a change in reception in 3G sensitivity, but thus far I don't. A couple of times I turned on the phone in a 3G area and I had 4 bars but no indication if it was 3G, 4G or 1X and then after a several seconds it showed 3G. But until that happened I had no data connectivity.

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that the data reception is smoother now. If it drops from 3g to 1X it quickly goes back to 3g.

The only glick I noticed was the screen lock did not work. A restart fixed.

Have noticed phone runs cooler now and battery drain is less.

Good update for me.

slbelt

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Got EE4 early this morning. After that, I was using the camera today and the camera app seemed to lock up. Wasn't able to "home" out or bring up task manager. Was able to press hold the power button and restart phone so the whole phone wasn't locked up. Other than that I am pretty happy with the update. Seems to have address ability to stay locked on 3G better than before and I was having issues with BT connectivity and MS Sync in my car but that seems to be better as well. We'll see if that is a coincidence or a fix.

tintn00

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Phone runs a little faster, browser is snappier. Noise reduction no longer as effective (before the update, the noise reduction would eliminate the digital computerized sound during calls). I also notice that ever since the update, my phone runs a lot warmer/hotter.

I've never rooted my phone, so I'm comparing only with stock ED2.

regg25

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone seen an update on the 2.3 rollout for the Charge? Or maybe where I might be able to get Gingerbread prior to the OTA?

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
several means 2 or 3 to most people. is that what you are saying or longer than that?

I should have been more precise, I would say about 5-10 seconds. Does that seem normal? We just came back from the movies and I just can't recall if this was the same theater where I had virtually no signal a couple of weeks ago while my wife had a decent signal on her Verizon Iphone. But whatever, I had excellent 4G reception tonight. It could be that Verizon lit up some additional towers in the area with 4G or it might just be the phone behaved better with the update...or I'm just crazy and it wasn't the same theater. :)

Mattevandavis

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
flashed root with Odin. Can not boot to clockwork. It crashes and I have to reflash. I have reloaded EE1 and received the Update. Any word on AB4? Was hoping for a root on this.

THX

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I am having issues with connectivity now. I am also having the same issue tsitalon had where i had good 4G signal around me and it now shifts between 4G, 3G and 1x constantly. Had great 4G up until the update. I've also never seen 1x until after as well. I have the phone rooted, voodoo and running Gummy all with the OTA EE4 update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad