Really torn over keeping this phone, Opinions Please!

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
So I know its kinda dumb to ask the question in the Droid Charge forum but I have had this phone for a week of my 13 day trial period. I had some bugs including GPS that were going to lead to me returning the phone but the new update has gotten rid of my lag and fixed GPS issues. Thats more then I ever got from my Fascinate! I have rooted all of my android phones and would def go this route if i keep this phone. So I guess my long winded point here is some opinions on waiting for the Function vs keeping the Charge? Samsung has made it clear that they welcome aftermarket ROM support by sending the Function straight to Team Douche and I know the ROM community will be cooking up some nice things for it. However this phone has not been out long at all and some really nice ROMs have already been cooked up on here. :) Anyways if any of you actually read through all of this( haha) please leave an opinion for me, thanks in advance!!! :D

Halcyon

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
The function will most likely be 3G. So if you don't need 4G then you might want to wait. But also we may not see the function till fall. The charge is a great phone and now with the new fix it's darn near the best device on verizon.

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
The Verizon rep actually laughed at me when I asked when 4G would go live in my area, the map is saying prob not till late 2012 so 4G really isnt factoring into my decision. I guess my big thing here is the urge to futureproof my phone. The Charge works just fine and is plenty fast enough for daily use but as a latest and greatest techie it feels counter productive to buy a phone that has last years processor when I could just wait a few more months and get a phone that will be able to implement all the goodness that Ice Cream will be able to offer.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I probably bounce from phone to phone every three to four months but i can see myself keeping this one till next year. I've had the iphone 4, atrix, Droid X, bolt, and charge in the last several months and I'm thinking I like the Charge best. Especially after the EE4 update which seems to have fixed most of the gripes i've had with the device. I know I'll want dual core in a few months but there's no real practical reason that makes dual core a necessity at this point.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
yea thats my concern too, i have had an Eris, Incredible and Fascinate on my last two year period and used my upgrade to try this one out and I know dualcore is pretty useless untill Ice Cream but the old file system on here is annoying, I can't even run live wallpaper without bogging the phone down a whole bunch and rooting this phone thru Odin is a little intimidating coming from rooting the Inc through unrevoked.

wingsfan1

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I went in to a 4G zone yesterday, it is so sweet they say by the end of 2012 they (Verizon) should have all 4G up.. How could you go back and look at a basic screen after looking at this??? Use it for awhile then when they come out with the upgrade sell it, but you know what happens as soon you get the new one a better one is on the way....Good Luck with your choice..

Wingsfan1

jhowle9475

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I would keep the charge. I have been dabbling over returning mine for the last few days. i got the charge because i had purchased a tbolt and had to have it replace it 3 times. Verizon finally offered to buy it back and allowed me to upgrade to this phone. I too see the lagginess but i know i would be devastated if i went back to a crappy screen and something without the front camera. 4G isnt a consideration for me at this point because as of yet it isn't in my area but on the flip side, if u have 4G unlimited now then you still will when tiered plans come about. personally i would sell your old phone and keep the charge, but put the money away to help pay the early upgrade fee when the phone that you want comes out.

Please keep in mind that the tbolt, charge and revolution are first gen 4G phones and it will be sometime before a 4G phone with the power and speed of a droid X and amazing screen of a charge comes out. With the way things are going it could be a year plus before you see any of them so in the mean time i would just keep the charge. It is as good as it gets for now and probably till this time next year.

Reactions: jkeene81

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So I know its kinda dumb to ask the question in the Droid Charge forum but I have had this phone for a week of my 13 day trial period. I had some bugs including GPS that were going to lead to me returning the phone but the new update has gotten rid of my lag and fixed GPS issues. Thats more then I ever got from my Fascinate! I have rooted all of my android phones and would def go this route if i keep this phone. So I guess my long winded point here is some opinions on waiting for the Function vs keeping the Charge? Samsung has made it clear that they welcome aftermarket ROM support by sending the Function straight to Team Douche and I know the ROM community will be cooking up some nice things for it. However this phone has not been out long at all and some really nice ROMs have already been cooked up on here. :) Anyways if any of you actually read through all of this( haha) please leave an opinion for me, thanks in advance!!! :D

For whatever its worth, if I were you, I'd keep the phone for the time being. This is coming from someone who uses a variety of phones. I have used the Droid, Droid 2, The Incredible, Droid X, Thunderbolt and now the Charge. Right now until something better comes along, my primary phone is the Charge. For me, this phone is has an awesome screen, and at least for me, makes up for some shortfalls that the Thunderbolt has.

As of yet, I have not rooted the phone, so I can't really say one way or the other anything about that. I tend to use the phone for a few weeks before I root them, just so I have an idea what the phone is like stock.

Just in summary, this is the first phone that I've bought that has actually replaced my Droid X, in terms of my regular use. Not sure if any of that helps.

Reactions: jkeene81

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37