New to Charge forum (thanks to VZ tiered its goodbye Bionic)

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
First real post in this samsung forum. I have been a frequenter of the Bionic forum since I heard about it back at CES but with the Tiered pricing looming as of this morning I have to pull the trigger on a LTE device and Charge looks like a winner. I am really behind the power curve with researching the Charge and trying to play catchup other than what I have scanned on the VZ website and I took a quick look at the read before buying thread up top about not updating. Since it has been out I figure I ask the real users what the top issues are (yes I know there are threads of issues but there isn't a Top 3 or what have you list so I know where to begin researching), and what you love the most about it. Honestly I know its in my best interest to get the Charge but I feel a little guilt devoting all that time waiting for the bionic then having to change my mind due to VZ forcing my hand so thats why I was hoping to hear some of the top positives and negatives to sort of ease my mind. I know that there will be a bunch of us coming over from the Bionic forum so hopefully we can make this a place for the others to get caught up as well, heck I know Oxn ordered his and will get it in a few days and he was just as big over there in bionic lol. Ok well sorry for the wall of text but wanted to just say hi and hope to get some good info before my purchase that will be taking place on June 30th when my upgrade is due.

Trailblazen

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
To be 100% honest with you, I have 0 issues with this phone. Coming from the Thunderbolt, this crap is great. Sometimes 4G/3G won't work but that's a network issue, not the phone. The phone calls when I need it to, and does what it is supposed to. Actually there is one thing, Plants vs Zombies doesn't work all of a sudden. Kind of weird.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

caelius

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I too was waiting on the Bionic or the SGS2, but pulled the trigger on the Charge last week as I knew tiered was coming sooner than later. I had a rooted OG Droid, which I still love, but it was showing it's age, so I went with the Charge....and am happy I did.

The first three days were pretty dicey with the battery quickly draining from pretty light use (mixed 3G and 4G). By the time the fourth day rolled around and I was at home and in constant 4G all day my battery was down to 30% after 15 hours of light to medium use (a few calls, texts, web, market, angry birds). With mixed 3G/4G and medium use today I was down to 48% after about 10 hours. I have stopped twitter and FB from syncing and have no widgets, but I have never been a widget guy.

The Charge is blazing fast and I have experienced little to no lag whatsoever except at boot up when the SD card is scanned, but I think that is because Samsung provided a class 2 card in my phone. Overall, I am VERY happy with my unlocked Sammy, and that I did not wait until the Bionic and it's locked bootloader. Hope you have fun with you new phone on the 30th and enjoy the "Charge" you get out of it!

fundragon

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I figure I ask the real users what the top issues are
I have an occasional "freeze" for a few seconds on the phone, even when running Go Launcher EX instead of stock TW. It's pretty rare, but really annoying when it happens.

My speaker phone (not sure it's common to all Charges) sounds a bit like a stereo with an old, torn speaker. Mostly clear enough to hear, but louder sounds are kind of fuzzy because of too much vibration that doesn't produce a clear sound.

The volume on both speaker phone and bluetooth headset (Plantronics Voyager Pro) is mostly good, but I do have trouble hearing them if there's a lot of ambient noise in the environment. It's hard to hear an early morning conference call on the speakerphone if I happen to be in my bathroom shaving with running water in the background, for example. My ancient flip phone had better volume.

I have a case with a kickstand, but the phone is still wobbly when standing upright because the bottom edge is curved instead of flat.

The lack of an LED means I have to use "NoLED" or unlock the phone to see when I have new voicemail or unread messages.

The capabilities of an Android phone are too cool. This can become a problem if your spouse starts feeling neglected because you spend too much time playing with your new phone.

and what you love the most about it.

Android - with Google Maps, Navigator, Dolphin Lite and a vast array of other Android goodness that you'd get with any other Android phone.

Fast performance.

Beautiful, vibrant screen, even outdoors in sunlight.

4G download speeds.

The "tap-and-hold-the-top-of-your-screen-to-set-brightness" trick (which is useful in sunlight since I normally keep my screen very dim to save battery, 10% is still plenty bright indoors).

Much longer battery life than I had expected from Verizon's second 4G phone, given what I was hearing about Verizon's first 4G phone...

Excellent developer support, in case I ever decide that I want to root my phone.

The fact that it's available now, and I don't have to wait for Bionic...

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
What is the tap and hold brightness? I do that and it got brighter but won't go back

I like the ability to take screen captures out of the box, and holding the home button shows the recent apps.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
thanks for all of your responses. That helps me alot and I think the guilt has started to melt away a little. Was looking up on otterbox and was a little dissapointed that their defender series is "Coming Soon" since that is the current series I use on my Storm 2 and swear by it.

MyLasthope,
I personally could have waited until september for the Bionic but with tiered it just is a gamble I am not willing to go all in for. Not when me and my wife already pay over $160 a month on our family share plan. Come to think of it my wife asked me last night whether or not to get the Charge or the Xperia. For her that is a tough one, I don't know if she really needs a 4G phone because she really doesn't use alot of data like I do but if we are in it for the long haul with this next upgrade it may not be a bad idea to get her one. Will probably have to take her back to VZW store again to demo one for her. She already likes the Xperia but I want to give her all the options as well.

whitepearl86

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Like everyone else, i was waiting for the bionic.

I ended up getting the thunderbolt but i hated it bc battery was awful and the phone was the size of a brick.

I ended up giving in and buying the charge. I LOVE this phone, esp after the ee4 update. I take phone off charger around 8am and by 6pm i am still at around 40%. Not bad considering i text and browse the wed a lot. I dont have fb auto synching and i only turn on location when i need it.

I dont have any lag on the phone at all but thats bc i am running a custom kernel and rom.

If you do get this phone, youll be much happier with it if you root it. Otherwise it is pretty laggy.

whitepearl86

May 14, 2011
Visit site
thanks for all of your responses. That helps me alot and I think the guilt has started to melt away a little. Was looking up on otterbox and was a little dissapointed that their defender series is "Coming Soon" since that is the current series I use on my Storm 2 and swear by it.

MyLasthope,
I personally could have waited until september for the Bionic but with tiered it just is a gamble I am not willing to go all in for. Not when me and my wife already pay over $160 a month on our family share plan. Come to think of it my wife asked me last night whether or not to get the Charge or the Xperia. For her that is a tough one, I don't know if she really needs a 4G phone because she really doesn't use alot of data like I do but if we are in it for the long haul with this next upgrade it may not be a bad idea to get her one. Will probably have to take her back to VZW store again to demo one for her. She already likes the Xperia but I want to give her all the options as well.

Btw, if you call Verizon corp and ask them nicely, they will let you update before your June 30th date. Just tell them your current phone is on its last breathe

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to also say, i bought the Charge yesterday after i heard the news. Its in the mail sadly. But i should have it tommrow.

Im also new to the Android OS. So i look forward to you guys to help me with my newbie questions once i get it.

I use Touchwiz for a few weeks to get aqquainted, then its root and cutom rom time. Thats where ill need the most help.

BTW whats the most popular custom rom right now?

gattaka451

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried Gummycharged since I put Altered Beast. I need to play with the phone some more I know, but I just like the look too much.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I can only imagine how thrilled Motorola must be to wake up this morning and read thread after thread on various cellular sites about how people are now giving up waiting on one of their flagship phones because of Verizon's greed.

rumors

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I can only imagine how thrilled Motorola must be to wake up this morning and read thread after thread on various cellular sites about how people are now giving up waiting on one of their flagship phones because of Verizon's greed.
I bet Samsung and HTC are happy and LG

Last edited:

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
after reading that article that just showed up from CNN, looks like I may just try to use my early upgrade and waive my NE2 (its only $30 and I get that as a discount for my government discount) and get a charge tonight at the VZW store. I know I have next week but I leave for vacation the very day I am eligible for upgrade so I don't feel like paying a higher tax rate at the place I am going to on my trip. Might as well get it now and get used to it before I get on the road and I won't be back until after tiered hits. My wife's line I can probably upgrade that day since she isn't primary but doing 2 lines will probably push our time constraints.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I was waiting also but decided to go with the charge. its not dual core but with all the issues that seems to be happening with dual core lte phones I think waiting til 2nd gen is a good idea. Not to mention most likely bionic will be locked down and the charge is easily rooted and already has a nice dev support.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
welp I just got home and have a charge in my hot little hands. ED1. Yeah I felt like i needed to jump on the charge because of what I said earlier when I called and they werent sure about me going from a Blackberry to Android. Plus I wanted to be sure about getting locked into 4G considering when I got the phone I had to sign a new contract. Not to mention I was sick and tired of the daily resets and battery pulls from my old Storm 2 freezing all the time. Funny thing I heard too today is that the Bionic is now on rendition 3 which means its not anywhere close to ready. I think it was all a sign. The "End of Waiting" was getting a charge lol.

mc21

May 8, 2010
Visit site
You all know that if you have unlimited data now you'll be grandfathered in right? So wait for the phone you want...don't get your panties in a bunch lol...Current Verizon Customers Won?t Ever Be Affected by Tiered Data, Only New Customers and Lines? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog :cool:

theres been debate on if unlim 3g carries over to 4g. aka u have unlim 3g now may mean you can only upgrade to unlim 3g later on. not sure.

i just ordered a charge yesterday and it will be here tomorrow. trying to decide if i want to root or not... hmm any opinions? i'm worried about the low ram lagging the overall experience.

danlintz

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
First real post in this samsung forum. I have been a frequenter of the Bionic forum since I heard about it back at CES but with the Tiered pricing looming as of this morning I have to pull the trigger on a LTE device and Charge looks like a winner. I am really behind the power curve with researching the Charge and trying to play catchup other than what I have scanned on the VZ website and I took a quick look at the read before buying thread up top about not updating. Since it has been out I figure I ask the real users what the top issues are (yes I know there are threads of issues but there isn't a Top 3 or what have you list so I know where to begin researching), and what you love the most about it. Honestly I know its in my best interest to get the Charge but I feel a little guilt devoting all that time waiting for the bionic then having to change my mind due to VZ forcing my hand so thats why I was hoping to hear some of the top positives and negatives to sort of ease my mind. I know that there will be a bunch of us coming over from the Bionic forum so hopefully we can make this a place for the others to get caught up as well, heck I know Oxn ordered his and will get it in a few days and he was just as big over there in bionic lol. Ok well sorry for the wall of text but wanted to just say hi and hope to get some good info before my purchase that will be taking place on June 30th when my upgrade is due.

Trailblazen
I had a bolt and switched due to the many issues and rebooting.
It is a good phone but I had to start using launcherpro in order to stand the software and now it love LP. The phone is slower than the bolt and lags a bit but the battery is so much better due to the screen. Much easier to read in daylight too.
Don't like the power button on right keep hitting it while holding and software even with LP is not fun but I am very happy overall to get into 4g.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae