Verizon Ending Unlimited data

junksecret

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I read today that "Verizon Wireless will join competitors AT&T and T-Mobile next month in eliminating the option for customers to consume unlimited data on their mobile phones without paying additional fees".

HERE is the link to the CNN story.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
If they do im going to call it breach of contract and bail out to another carrier. I will be done with big red in January when my contract is up.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
this means i will never renew my contract. ill stay on the current plan and just buy phones retail since im grandfathered in

Anderain

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
If you use an upgrade with the 2 year contract renewal after July 7th you get thrown into the tiered pricing. If you recently upgraded your good for 2 years from when you did (or longer if you hold onto your phone forever).

Reactions: k2caliguy

k2caliguy

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
this means i will never renew my contract. ill stay on the current plan and just buy phones retail since im grandfathered in
when your contract runs out, if you wish to renew you will have to pick a tiered plan. The best I can say to everyone is send emails to the fcc or the congressperson to block the merger of at&t and t-mobile. We need more competition not less, or every carrier will be on limited data plans, and this will stifle american innovation using mobile technology, since consumers won't adapt.

This causes a headwind to the usage of the google music cloud i just read about on here...

k2caliguy

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
So you can extend this plan and after 2 years you won't be forced to switch?
the unlimited plan won't exist anymore. Sprint will be the last provider, which may see a jump in customers... maybe time to buy spring stock regarding this news... they have that 4g clearwire network...

so here is a scenerio I am curious about?

what if I buy a phone at retail with no contract today at best buy? would I get unlimited forever? I'm curious because I bought the trade it back in insurance deal from best buy, so I can cut the cost of a new phone during the next 2 years....

I remember I locked in a nokia with at&t years ago, I couldn't keep the plan if I wanted a new phone, but they couldn't cancel my old school analog plan that had no contract end date.

there could be provisions in new contract language, where no contract plans can change with certain notice, like a credit card rates can with notification...

demens#AC

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
there could be provisions in new contract language, where no contract plans can change with certain notice, like a credit card rates can with notification...

Comcast did something similar to that with me when all of Houston got put on a data cap back in March (albeit, it was 250GB down... but I run 4 computers, 2 tablets, 2 PS3s, Xbox 360, my tv, 3 cell phones, my receiver for my stereo, and at least 2 other things i'm missing on the internet, so I would get nearly 230GB a month in usage)... however, I got zero notification and it was stipulated in the contract that the service provided could be changed at any time.. so, yea...

It seems like all of the major internet companies are doing this, but are solely doing it for their own profit margin and not what is best for the end user.

ShiZero

May 28, 2011
alliszero.deviantart.com
I strongly suggest anyone who wants more info on the Verizon plans to visit these threads:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/dro...ic-not-released-before-tiered-data-plans.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/droid-bionic/95468-if-true-we-can-all-stick-our-original-plans.html

Word on the street is: If you have a smartphone on your line pre-7/7/2011, even after you upgrade, you can keep your Unlimited plan. If you add a line or move from a feature phone to a Smartphone, then you're SOL and are treated as a new customer, falling into tiered pricing.

Lots of info and analysis up there.

hooskins

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I strongly suggest anyone who wants more info on the Verizon plans to visit these threads:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/dro...ic-not-released-before-tiered-data-plans.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/droid-bionic/95468-if-true-we-can-all-stick-our-original-plans.html

Word on the street is: If you have a smartphone on your line pre-7/7/2011, even after you upgrade, you can keep your Unlimited plan. If you add a line or move from a feature phone to a Smartphone, then you're SOL and are treated as a new customer, falling into tiered pricing.

Lots of info and analysis up there.

I sincerely hope that's the case.

Anderain

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Im pretty sure its 3G verse 4G. After July 7th youll be grandfathered in for 3G only (assuming you have unlimited now), however any 4G service will be tiered. Thats why people are rushing to get 4G and grandfathered in before July 7th.

skylinevspec

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The way I had it explained to me at the Verizon store is that if you have a 3G phone with unlimited data, and later plan on switching to a 4g phone after the tiered rates go into effect you will need to get a new plan and will lose unlimited data. However if you have an unlimited plan on a 4g phone, and you change to a new 4g phone after the tiered rates have gone into effect and renew your contract you can keep your same plan and unlimited data. They say you will be grandfathered into it.
This is the reason I went for a 4g phone now to ensure that I will be grandfathered in on my future 4g phone purchases and able to keep my unlimited data.

One thing to keep in mind though..the tiered data plans that they are rolling out may actually be able to save some people money. If a person is not using as much bandwith, it does not make sense for them to pay for an unlimited plan. For example I know my mom is paying for unlimited usage on her iphone 4, but I know she doesn't use much bandwith at all...I would be surprised if she used 1GB a month....It all really depends on the amounts that they will charge per GB of traffic. But for my own peace of mind I think it is always better to have an option to use as much as I want and not have to worry about it.

waterfrontmgmt

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
the vzn documents posted last night say 3G and 4G are treated the same....and customers and upgrade with new phones and not have to pay the tiered plan.

if you change part of your plan...any part, add minutes, etc...you have to pick one of the new tiered data plans. so i think it's more important to make sure you have enough minutes on your plan to live with for a while, than to worry about losing your existing unlimited data plan.