I've used the Asurion insurance plan with many devices in the past. Since I didn't care about my Blackberry 9650 anymore I cut off the insurance 6 months ago because I figured if it broke or I lost it I still had another spare BB 9630 to use for a replacement.

But they started out at $4 a month with a $50 deductible. Now it's an $89 deductible and you can only use it twice a year or $178 if you used it twice . . . yikes!

A few years ago as phone prices rose they upped the monthly cost to $8.
    This is $96 a year or $192 for the life of the 2 year plan!
    Now VZ has no more new every two one can expect to pay like $96 a year and beyond if you expect to keep the phone longer. And these newer devices are more prone to breaking easier as they are made lighter, but cheaper and with bigger screens.

Over the years I've used the plan to replace probably 3 or 4 BB's with refurbs so any of these electronic devices are prone to screwing up and having to be replaced. I've also toasted a few because I boat a lot and even though I keep it in a zip lock just being around the water can damage a device easily.

So now VZ also offers an extended warranty over the 12 months for replacement for $1.99 a month.
    But this does not cover user damage (like dropping it) or water damage.

Without full coverage I worry about buying a replacement device especially 4G because so many of the first phones out there have awful battery life and those are sure to be dumped on Craigslist.

So what are most Charge users doing about coverage. With a screen this big, I know it's "Gorilla" glass but I'm sure it too, will break easily enough if dropped.

I don't like cases because they increase the bulk of the device (I pocket it).
    A skin will prevent me from using the 2 docks (they each come with an OEM battery) and a vehicle mount I just ordered, so now that I will have plenty of extra power which was what was worrying me about keeping the Charge beyond the 14 days.

I have not found the Charge to be overly power hungry (but I don't have 4G in my area yet) so I really like the phone now that I've played around with all it's features over the past week and it's definetly now a keeper.

But my bottom line is the charge is a lot bigger than my BB's and it's made a little on the flimsy side to keep it's weight down (the BB is built like a Tank). As an example the Charge's battery door is really flimsy (it might be strong) but I still worry about removing it too many times to change out the battery or get at the SD card. I'm sure those plastic tabs holding the door on are going to wear.

I'm sure having to pay retail for another Charge won't be $569, as it ages the price will drop. I tend to change devices every two years anyway.

So what's everyone doing about insurance (those who don't get it need not reply to save on posts).
    I'm only interested in how many of us are taking the insurance and are you taking the $1.99 or $6.99 per month Asurion coverage?
    Thx
    06-22-2011 08:44 AM
    Personally I think that the insurance is a good deal. If you dont have it and your phone blows up then you are either going to have to buy one outright or look on craigslist for a used one. Insurance gives me piece of mind. Even though insurance in general is a scam lol. I have insurance on all my devices.
    06-22-2011 09:26 AM
    I've used the Asurion insurance plan with many devices in the past. Since I didn't care about my Blackberry anymore I cut off the insurance 6 months ago because I figured if it broke or I lost it I still had 2 spare BB's (9650 and 9630) to use for a replacement.

But they started out at $4 a month with a $50 deductible.

A few years ago as phone prices rose they upped the monthly cost to $8.
    This is $96 a year or $192 for the life of the 2 year plan!
    Now VZ has no more new every two one can expect to pay like $96 a year and beyond if you expect to keep the phone longer. And these newer devices are more prone to breaking easier as they are made lighter, but cheaper and with bigger screens.

Over the years I've used the plan to replace probably 3 or 4 BB's with refurbs so any of these electronic devices are prone to screwing up and having to be replaced. I've also toasted a few because I boat a lot and even though I keep it in a zip lock just being around the water can damage a device easily.

So now VZ also offers an extended warranty over the 12 months for replacement for $1.99 a month.
    But this does not cover user damage (like dropping it) or water damage.

Without full coverage I worry about buying a replacement device especially 4G because so many of the first phones out there have awful battery life and those are sure to be dumped on Craigslist.

So what are most Charge users doing about coverage. With a screen this big, I know it's "Gorilla" glass but I'm sure it too, will break easily enough if dropped.

I don't like cases because they increase the bulk of the device (I pocket it).
    A skin will prevent me from using the 2 docks (they each come with an OEM battery) and a vehicle mount I just ordered, so now that I will have plenty of extra power which was what was worrying me about keeping the Charge beyond the 14 days.

I have not found the Charge to be overly power hungry (but I don't have 4G in my area yet) so I really like the phone now that I've played around with all it's features over the past week and it's definetly now a keeper.

But my bottom line is the charge is a lot bigger than my BB's and it's made a little on the flimsy side to keep it's weight down (the BB is built like a Tank). As an example the Charge's battery door is really flimsy (it might be strong) but I still worry about removing it too many times to change out the battery or get at the SD card. I'm sure those plastic tabs holding the door on are going to wear.

I'm sure having to pay retail for another Charge won't be $569, as it ages the price will drop. I tend to change devices every two years anyway.

So what's everyone doing about insurance (those who don't get it need not reply to save on posts).
    I'm only interested in how many of us are taking the insurance and are you taking the $1.99 or the Asurion?
    Thx
    I never had insurance before my last blackberry. I lost one, had one stolen, and broke one. It was nice paying the $50 for a replacement the first time, but by the second time, I felt like I was getting ripped off. I plan to keep insurance on this phone for a year or so, then probably drop it after that. I would just hate to break this expensive phone after only a couple of months and be forced to purchase a new one at full price.
    06-22-2011 09:39 AM
    I think they upped the deductible to $89. That was reason enough for me to get rid of it insurance. Because like you said, after a year youve already paid $96 plus another $89 deductible just to get a refurbished phone that would have came down in price by then...

I know you didn't want a post from people who don't have it, but I just wanted to throw in the deductible amount incase that factors into your decision.
    06-22-2011 09:43 AM
    I think they upped the deductible to $89. That was reason enough for me to get rid of it insurance. Because like you said, after a year you've already paid $96 plus another $89 deductible just to get a refurbished phone that would have came down in price by then...

I know you didn't want a post from people who don't have it, but I just wanted to throw in the deductible amount in case that factors into your decision.
    Thx for the replies so far . . .
    And Anderain thanks for reminding me that I omitted the deductible because that was a huge omission. I thought I put that in as part of my reason for not getting the insurance.

Ya, when I put users that don't have insurance need not respond or 300 people would post "I don't have insurance" and it would be pages long yet that wouldn't help in my decision to add on the insurance.
    I wanted to hear reasons from posters who took the insurance.

I like that response from another poster above that said he took it, but plans to cancel it in 12 months. That's what I was thinking too because in 12 months their will be so many new 4G devices a replacement can be had on craigslist for probably $50 by then.

I see Amazon is already selling the Charge for $199 with a new 2 year contract.
    That's a nice price for a device that is still so new. I had to pay $299 last week at the VZ store because I still had 6 months left of a 2 year contract. To terminate it would have cost me $350 and I would have had to go with another provider and with a different model Droid for another $200 or more for their latest 4G device. VZ still has the best coverage bar none!

At least if I sign up for it before the 28th I can still cancel at any time. The $8 a month would be less the $1.99 which I would have added on get the extended 12 month Samsung warranty, so I'd really only be paying like $6 a month for full user breakage and water damage during the first year. After 14 days I can't add the extended warranty on anyway, so I only save that $1.99 a month for the first year if I cancel Asurion after 12 months.

I'll probably call VZ and add it on before the 28th and cancel it when I see the used prices for a Charge dropping a year from now. It was nice when I had to put in a claim and they sent you the replacement out by next day air. Several times they sent me the next model up because they were out of refurbs.
    One thing I can say through experience using Asurion is they are top notch when it came to customer service.

There is also Squaretrade.com for cheaper warranties. I use them for DVD players, TV's etc. They are owned by Ebay and with their 25-40% off coupons it's cheaper, but it's not the same total coverage that Asurion offers.

I'll wait for some more responses, but I think I'm leaning towards springing for the $8 a month coverage. This is the flimsiest feeling Smart phone out of the last 10 I've owned. I'm not saying it's cheaply made (I actually think it's very well made) but due to the size of the screen and the materials they use to make it light and thin, I know there is a good chance I'm going to drop or break it somehow. It's pretty slippery whereas my former BB had a rubbery slip resistant back to it, I can see me picking up my suit jacket and not remembering it's in the breast pocket as it goes sailing through the air
    06-22-2011 03:07 PM
    Update: ya I bit the bullet today and put the $6.99 plan on my week old Charge.

As a poster above suggested, I'll keep it on for 12 months and by that time a replacement Charge will be $50 to $75 on craigslist as users dump their year old devices for what ever is the latest and the greatest.

The deductible went up to $99 . . . Geeeezus!
    06-23-2011 10:11 PM
    Update: ya I bit the bullet today and put the $6.99 plan on my week old Charge.

As a poster above suggested, I'll keep it on for 12 months and by that time a replacement Charge will be $50 to $75 on craigslist as users dump their year old devices for what ever is the latest and the greatest.

The deductible went up to $99 . . . Geeeezus!
    Picked up these guys. Had some good reviews on some of the other forums.

Phone Insurance
    06-23-2011 11:10 PM
    don't care I have both extended and insurance plan. id rather pay 100$ ded then be with out a phone. I have insurance on my car house and atv health and never filed a claim but I still pay out the azz to have the warm fuzzy feeling knowing I'm covered.
    06-24-2011 08:17 AM
    Asurion Insurance is right at the edge of being worth the cost, but right now anyway, it's worth having.. Over time, you pay a lot of money. Especially if you replace two phones. Bottom line though.. at least for the first 12 to 14 months, the last thing I want to do, is drop my phone, or lose it etc.. and then have to scramble and stress about finding a replacement that is in any way, cost effective.

I use insurance for the ability to have a new (refurbished) phone overnight, which allows me to be up and running, stress free, in short order. The cost for this peace of mind is high, relatively speaking.
    06-24-2011 09:40 AM
    Asurion Insurance is right at the edge of being worth the cost, but right now anyway, it's worth having.. Over time, you pay a lot of money. Especially if you replace two phones. Bottom line though.. at least for the first 12 to 14 months, the last thing I want to do, is drop my phone, or lose it etc.. and then have to scramble and stress about finding a replacement that is in any way, cost effective.

I use insurance for the ability to have a new (refurbished) phone overnight, which allows me to be up and running, stress free, in short order. The cost for this peace of mind is high, relatively speaking.
    All good points. I actual have always felt insurance was the cheapest thing one can buy.
    I was always amazed how car insurance for like $300 a year in premiums they will practically replace a car worth 20k.

I never minded when Asurion charged $4 a month with a $50 deductible, but they flew up to $8.99 as the smartphones doubled in cost. I've probably replaced at least 3 phones through Asurion just over the past 4 years that I can recall.

I think I updated above that I did add it on yesterday to my plan!
    06-24-2011 07:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD