Your favorite (free) find your car app?

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I tried one out on my Blackberry but then dumped the BB for this Charge. The BB one was only a trial period anyway. Glad I didn't buy it cause it didn't work for me anyway.

But these apps can really come in handy after you park at a stadium, airport, mall or leave your car in a parking lot . . . somewhere in a big city like NY city!

I see a few in the market place, but the first one I tried didn't work for me and then I see it said free but it was only for a trial period anyway.

Do you use one that actually works and is easy to use?

Last edited:

imapepper2#AC

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Instead of using an app for this my wife and I have started to use a totally under used feature we already have.

1 - Open your map program, wait a second or two to get an accuracy of a couple of meters.
2 - Tap the blue indicator of your location
3 - Tap again and the "my location" menu will come up
4 - Menu option "Send location to others"
5 - Email your location to yourself so it will be easy to find later and can be forwarded easily if necessary.
(this whole process takes about 15-25 seconds)

Later all you have to do is select the link in the email and make sure to select your map program to complete the action. This also works for sending someone directions or remembering your favorite fishing spot.

Reactions: CoolHappyGuy

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Thx for that tip Imapepper,
I'll try that out!

I just tried it out while in my kitchen. Seems to work, but how close does it take you back to your car? Like how many feet away?
If it's a few rows of cars away and it's dark, it can still be hard to find my car!

I was going to try it outside as my car is 100 feet from my house but there are too many mosquitoes out there tonight!

I thought I saw an option in Google maps for walking, but that might have been another navigation program.

Last edited:

imapepper2#AC

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Thx for that tip Imapepper,
I'll try that out!

I just tried it out while in my kitchen. Seems to work, but how close does it take you back to your car? Like how many feet away?
If it's a few rows of cars away and it's dark, it can still be hard to find my car!

I was going to try it outside as my car is 100 feet from my house but there are too many mosquitoes out there tonight!

I thought I saw an option in Google maps for walking, but that might have been another navigation program.

When I use this I usually have a GPS lock of "accurate to 5 meters", so 16 feet radius. I think of it this way, if I can't find my car that is a max 35 feet away, I am probably not sober enough to drive anyway. I use this when I go to sporting events when I am likely to come out of the event on a different side of the building than when I entered or at a place like Disney Land where the lots are so big you can see the curvature of the earth.

Ah, I looked at the walking option and now I have a better understanding. I don't worry about using the navigation feature to get to my car because I am almost never that far away. I just pull up my map program, zoom in, and move my current location to my emailed (car) location.

I took a screen shot of what I am talking about. The red ?A? is where I was standing when I sent my location to myself (within 10 feet or less). The blue arrow was me waking around the building (I was getting an ?accurate to 5 meters? at the time).

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
When I use this I usually have a GPS lock of "accurate to 5 meters", so 16 feet radius. I think of it this way, if I can't find my car that is a max 35 feet away, I am probably not sober enough to drive anyway. I use this when I go to sporting events when I am likely to come out of the event on a different side of the building than when I entered or at a place like Disney Land where the lots are so big you can see the curvature of the earth.

Ah, I looked at the walking option and now I have a better understanding. I don't worry about using the navigation feature to get to my car because I am almost never that far away. I just pull up my map program, zoom in, and move my current location to my emailed (car) location.

I took a screen shot of what I am talking about. The red ?A? is where I was standing when I sent my location to myself (within 10 feet or less). The blue arrow was me waking around the building (I was getting an ?accurate to 5 meters? at the time).

Thx for the screen shot, ya you're right about that . . . many times I've been in big malls and all the exits and entrances look the same until you walk out and find yourself on the opposite side of the building.

And I guess if I can't find my car within 35 feet maybe I shouldn't be driving it either hahahaha