Droid Charge disconnecting from SYNC in my Ford Focus

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
No problem pairing my Charge to my sync system in my 2012 Focus. However, after about a minute on the road, the connection is lost. I can reconnect the device, but it will disconnect after a minute.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

ljport78

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same trouble with my Charge and my 2011 Edge.

I think it is related to playing music through bluetooth streaming. It doesn't seem to disconnect if I am not using bluetooth streaming. Have you noticed this?

I may return my phone if I can't get it to work with sync correctly. My old Motorola Droid never had a problem with my Edge.

wetwaterdog

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Do you really think FORD installs the latest technologies in their cars? or chevy for that matter....maybe you should start with the car before you blame the phone.

billku

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Actually the Ford Sync technology is through Microsoft and it's pretty darn good. In fact, the newest sync systems in all the fords are the latest technology, I'd venture to say the best in the car biz. My Charge syncs pretty well with my 2009 Escape. Maybe check the sync site or their boards and see if someone can help?

tdunn014

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious if this happens if you turn the wifi off on the phone?

I've had two charges and both on them had had issues streaming music to an aftermarket Sony car stereo I have installed. The music will randomly cut in and out. I did notice it seemed to happen when I hit a wifi signal. I turned wifi off on my charge and it almost never cuts out now.

What's odd is I have a Plantronics speakerphone with can do A2DP streaming and the bluetooth audio would not cut out on it. So it seems like certain devices are more prone to having issues.

ljport78

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious if this happens if you turn the wifi off on the phone?

I almost never have the wifi on so I don't think this is the issue but thanks for the suggestion.

I think I have till the 7th of July to take this phone back if it doesn't end up working.

johnglad

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a 2011 Ford Focus and I have the same problem, after a couple minutes the phone disconnects from the sync system. Usually no problem streaming bluetooth music though

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Do you really think FORD installs the latest technologies in their cars? or chevy for that matter....maybe you should start with the car before you blame the phone.

No bluetooth issues with my 2011 Traverse connects just fine works good! The Sync system on the Fords is very up to date but it is Microsoft based if im not mistaken. Knowing Microsoft they probably programmed in some sort of Google repeller in the Sync software! :)

Last edited:

carfreak666

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issue with my 2011 Mustang... Never had a problem with my BB Storm... Similar to the OP, no issues with playing music via bluetooth, but voice does not work.

coldconfession13

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Same issue bluetooth streaming works but phone disconnectes on call so annoying. On the music side after that happens I get no sound even though it still connected. Bluetooth on charge needs to be fixed when we get 2.3.4

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

MaxBuck2

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Have a Kia Sorento 2011 with navigation system, and my Charge will not connect reliably. I believe the Kia's system is also Microsoft based.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2009 Taurus with Sync. My music skips but doesn't disconnect during playback. It definitely is annoying. I've wondered about this issue for awhile now however I don't feel that the issue is completely the fault of the phone because I had a Thunderbolt for 12 days before this and it did it also. Before that I had an LG Voyager that did it. (I always thought it was the phone. Use to think it was a loose memory card or something and would bang the phone around on the seat:). During this transition waiting for the 4g's to come out, I had a Blackberry 9600 with similar issues like skipping during music player playback and distorted audio while streaming Pandora. I'd delete the device from the Sync and the Sync from the phone then reinstall them and it would be ok for awhile but come back every time.

The good news with the Charge is that I've had no distorted audio on Pandora like I witnessed with the BB, but I have had the skipping or periodic lock ups. I can't put my finger on exact reasons but I don't think the skipping music thing is the phones Bluetooth. I think it?s the Ford Sync since I had issues with the other phones too. Anyone considering returning the phone should test this out using other devices if possible and let us know. I am however, concerned that the lock ups could be internal memory issues but I can't be sure of that either. My testing now consists of using the music player and Pandora plugged in via the 3.5mm input and to date, everything plays perfectly so I don't think there is a memory issue unless having the Bluetooth on causes the phone to be doing too many things at once, but I've ruled that out because I have a S705 Stereo Bluetooth headset and listen to streaming music all day with no issues. I'm pretty convinced it's the car Sync.

All in all, I really like the phone. I don't see any more issues with it, than others do with their Tbolts or any other devices out there. When you think your phone is bad, go look at all the other blogs too and you might not feel so bad about yours:)

Oh and I keep my wifi off in the car so that's not it. I run an app called MyProfiles Lite to control those things. Good luck to us all!

basscadet

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone told Samsung about this issue yet?

My 2011 Mustang reliably connects to my Blackberry and my iPhone. The Charge keeps dropping after about 1 minute. It is NOT an issue with the SYNC system in my car, it's definitely the phone's fault.

I bought this phone with a 90 day return policy at Costco and if Verizon/Samsung don't get this fixed fast I'm returning it once some better phones come out.

basscadet

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone -

It seems there is a fix for this issue. It involves unpairing the phone again and following specific instructions on re-pairing. Essentially, when you repair you want to be sure to tell it NO when it asks to auto-download the contact list. Also, it seems you want to have your car find the phone and not vice-versa.

The Ford SYNC forum has a lot of good information: (you probably need to register your acct and vehicle there if you haven't already)

Owner to Owner

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

It's bluetooth... before you get all gungho, it's nothing but bluetooth with some added features. Calm down.