Battery Life

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to not use the Samsung dock while I am at work since I bought the phone listening to music so unsure about tested battery life but just incase my deskdock came with a backup battery included so that is always charging along with my phone in dock. so really not too worried about battery life due to my work circumstances. I probably am not optimized either since I have only had the phone a few days and learning on my first android device. Either way its a nice phone, wish it had more RAM but its still snappy regardless.

turkishcoffee

May 31, 2011
Visit site
My Battery Life Extension Secrets

I'm using a stock Charge. I can go 14-16 hours with moderately heavy use (several phone calls, lots of texting, some media streaming, some web browsing, some kindle app use) and 36-48 hours with light use. I am using the standard battery, but I manage the power consumption by setting the display brightness down to a minimal level, using WIFI when available, but only turning it on when I need it, and keeping 4G data turned off until I need it. I also keep bluetooth and GPS location services turned off unless I need them.

The display is typically the biggest power drain. The other big one I've noticed is when I have to use 3G for mobile data. Three hours of media streaming on 3G sucks up power like crazy.

I recently downloaded the free TuneIn Radio app for streaming radio stations, and since it can play with the display off, it saves alot of power. (Prior to using TuneIn Radio, I was streaming internet radio through my browser, and it would leave the display on.)

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
Ive got the stock battery,in 3G area only, rooted and overclocked and I get at least 12 hours if not 14 with moderate use. Im pretty impressed but sounds like 4g battery life is a whole other story! Looks like most of my use is the screen of course but its hard to dial down the brightness becuz the screen is so impressive!

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Ive got the stock battery,in 3G area only, rooted and overclocked and I get at least 12 hours if not 14 with moderate use. Im pretty impressed but sounds like 4g battery life is a whole other story! Looks like most of my use is the screen of course but its hard to dial down the brightness becuz the screen is so impressive!
Today was my first full day with my Charge, and it managed to go strong from 7:30 am until 8 pm, and by 8 it was only down to 30%. This was a mixture of 3G and 4G.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey wanted to give you all a heads up on battery life for me with both extended and standard.

I had the extended battery moment I have the phone when i got it off a friend, i never used standard. well I started to get annoyed with extended and the size and not being able to have a case, i eventually went and used the standard.

the extended battery would last me all day, but i noticed that it would drain pretty quickly from 100 to 90.. however when it got toward 60 percent it went slower to die, but i still notice it drain quicker, im not really sure if i had a defected one but, anywho.

im using the standard now and i can still get a full day out of it, it has better standby time. yesterday i used it for 12 hours, hour call, texting, checking pulse app, going on websites. i was very impressed. however, i did notice i did something, on accident, that wasnt set on extended battery. i disabled push on my hotmail.. i think it has a tremendously huge part to play in the amazing battery life. i thought i read somewhere you can set up the account somehow to check for emails at certain times but for whatever reason i cant do it, so i kept it disabled and only check when i open it. this helps a lot in my eyes. i have the benefit of having a business phone to through work so i just have that receiving my emails anyways.

but for those who emails they dont need by the second, you really should disable the push on it.

so conclusion...

over 12 hours of use yesterday with standard
push email off
played music
hour worth of phone calls
texting all day
websites
td application
pulse and refreshing for new news articles
brightness probably at 30 percent
also, after 12 hours i plugged it in, but i still had a little over 30 percent of battery life left.
only 3g

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Apparently people knew about this issue long before it hit the smart phone market. Google Latitude: Will it Kill your Phone?s Battery? — Mobile Technology News

So turn off Google Location Services or at least make sure Latitude is not running. If you don?t want to do that, at minimum, remove any widgets that use location services like weather or ?Rate this place?.

Nexus S Battery Drain: Google Maps - Google Mobile Help

Google services drains battery at 38% on Nexus One? - Google Mobile Help

I?ve had my Droid Charge for about 2 months now and personally, I was averaging 11-12 hours of basic use which I thought was good. Yesterday I turned off my Google Location Services for the first time. Took the unit off the charger at 6:30pm yesterday and I?m now looking at 21% of battery left after 22hrs. Additionally, I never have VZW location on and only use GPS occasionally in the car. I also turned off Background Data in Sync but may switch those back on after this test to see what affect it really has. Running it dry tonight to see how far it will go

I use ?My Profiles Lite? to have one touch controls for Home, Car, Work & Night modes. Works great. If you try other apps that do this automatically, catch22, they require location services to sense where you are.

Last edited:

arctic388

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
didn't want to open a new thread just to give my experience so adding it here.

i bought a OEM Samsung battery on EBAY and didn't realize its a1500 mAh until i received it. this is the first day i have had it in but so far i am at 60% left and on the stock 1600 mAh one i would be below 20%. with the stock one i just blamed it on weak signal draining it but with the 1500 one in i am in the same place and its not draining as fast. actually i have used it more today than i did with the other battery. now if i cant get it to charge in less than 2 hours i will be really happy. the stock battery would take over 2 hours to charge starting anywhere from 20-50%.

afhb21

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I have LTE, GPS, Bluetooth and wifi off for most of the day. I also make a conscious effort to keep mobile data off when i'm not using it. Despite that, after taking my phone off the charger at 6:45, I was down to about 30% when I got back from the city at around 1.

I've been really disappointed with the battery life so far. I may just be using it a lot, but I still think it should be better, considering how aggressively I've been managing the radios.

My plan is to give the Droid Incredible 2 a shot, or maybe the droid 3. I really just want a Pre 3, but don't want to wait any longer for it.

dmckean44

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Turn off the setting that lets applications update in the backround and the location services. Then when you shut off everything it will sip battery life.

dmckean44

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
go settings>accounts and sync and uncheck background data
go settings>location and security and uncheck VZW location services and google location services

neemo6

May 31, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has been extremely horrible since ive owned this phone. I will be lucky if i get 10hrs from this phone and this is from very light use w/ wifi, btooth, turned off, maybe 1-2 phone calls all under 5 minutes of talk time, about 5 texts throughout the day, and about 10-15 minutes of web browsing. Pathetic battery life. Problem w/ unchecking Background data is then you cant go into the droid Marketplace.

Xaldian

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I've owned my Charge for about a week, I have it rooted running Gummy Charged 1.8.5 and get on average 20 hours. I don't use bluetooth or gps, and I alternate between wifi and 4g depending on my location. I make about 5 calls a day and text regularly. I have all my sync options set for an hour except for weather which is set for 15 mins (Thank you Florida). I also play about an hour or so of various games throughout the day. My brightness is set to the absolute lowest too. It seems like the battery life for the Charge is hit and miss.

Sting23ray

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has been extremely horrible since ive owned this phone. I will be lucky if i get 10hrs from this phone and this is from very light use w/ wifi, btooth, turned off, maybe 1-2 phone calls all under 5 minutes of talk time, about 5 texts throughout the day, and about 10-15 minutes of web browsing. Pathetic battery life. Problem w/ unchecking Background data is then you cant go into the droid Marketplace.

Are you in a crappy 3G market? I have noticed that a bad 3G signal will suck the life out more than a gold digging wife....

neemo6

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Really wondering if my battery is bad. 4 hours since unplugged and at 50%. One five minute phone call, used gps to find a restaurant, read a few emails, and now on tapatalk to write this. Total usage time of about 30 minutes. I almost don't want to use the phone due to fear of running out of battery.

tintn00

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Damn ever since I turned off the location Services I'm getting a few more hours out of my battery.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae