This is a dumb question but I'm coming from a non-smartphone background. On my old phone, I would ocassionally dial *228 to update the PRL. The phone would dial and I would press "2" to "update roaming capabilites". After the update, the phone would restart itself.

I just dialed *228 on my Charge and when I clicked "call", immediately got the following message:
    "A Verizon Wireless sim card has activated your service and updated your phone's roaming capabilities." The phone did not dial out or anything so what does this message mean? Do we not have to do the *228 anymore because the phone automatically does it? Any input would be helpful.
    06-24-2011 10:04 PM
    you cannot use *228 with lte, it will screw up the phone. i dont think you need to do it anymore with lte
    06-24-2011 11:47 PM
    The SIM card itself is what's activated now, not the phone. And there are currently only 4 regional PRL's for LTE devices, hopefully we'll see some improvements in reception after July 21st. There a ton of new LTE areas coming online then, so I would expect we'll see new PRL's the same time. Anyway, the SIM card checks for new PRL's after a hard reset, which can be done by pulling the battery and the SIM card, then replacing the SIM card and then the battery. That's all from VZW's Tier 2 network support, if you don't have faith in me, haha.

IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT pull the SIM card out until you pull out the battery, as several people have reported their SIM slots as defective after doing this. It seems that there is a possibility of the slots being permanently damaged if the card is removed while there is power in the device. You can power it on with no SIM at all of course, just don't insert or remove it while the battery is in. Again, I haven't found anything official stating this, and it may not cause any damage at all. But it seems to be a possibility, and I for one am not willing to test it. Considering there's no reason to pull your SIM before you pull the battery anyway, please follow this recommendation, I don't want anyone breaking their phone trying to update the PRL's.
    06-25-2011 12:48 AM
    The guy activating my charge installed my sim when powered on. ***** didn't read it and rebooted itself then it worked. I got lucky I guess
    06-25-2011 07:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD