So right now I have an HTC Sensation on T-mobile. Its a great device, and T-mobile's network is generally pretty damn good. The speeds are almost comparable to Verizon's average LTE speeds in my area, but Verizon is expanding their coverage and beefing up the pre-existing network, so I know those speeds are going to get stronger.

I know that I will be going back to Verizon's LTE in the future, so at this point I'm really considering getting rid of the Sensation (I'm still within my 14 days) and picking up a Charge to lock in the unlimited prices. Once the new pricing goes into effect the costs for my usage will be far more than I can afford, so I'm really interested in locking in the unlimited while I can. I have to make this decision ASAP since my return period for the Sensation is up on Wednesday.

Thoughts?

P.S. I should also note that I don't plan on staying with the Charge long-term. I would either upgrade to the Bionic when it comes out, or wait for Verizon's first 8960 phone. (which should have great battery life)
    06-26-2011 11:50 PM
    If you KNOW 100% that you are gonna move to verizon and use data, I would suggest doing it now because you already know the rates are going to be through the roof. Lock yourself in if it's going to be moving to verizon anyways. I like my charge, no real problems. T-Mobile is crap by me, data is slow and I HATE when I call a friend on T-Mobile and it says "All circuits are currently busy"
    06-27-2011 12:05 AM
    If you KNOW 100% that you are gonna move to verizon and use data, I would suggest doing it now because you already know the rates are going to be through the roof. Lock yourself in if it's going to be moving to verizon anyways. I like my charge, no real problems. T-Mobile is crap by me, data is slow and I HATE when I call a friend on T-Mobile and it says "All circuits are currently busy"
    I was just waiting for dual-core LTE phones, and hoping that the Bionic would come before the tiers. Now that we are 99% sure that Verizon isn't going to be waiting, I want to lock in the unlimited.

BTW, how is the battery life? I had a Bolt for a short time and that battery life was painful.
    06-27-2011 12:42 AM
    Might as well get the Charge its def the best 4g offering that Verizon has right now and you can always sell it on ebay when the Bionic comes out! But its worth it to lock in the unlimited plan and WAY better battery life then the Bolt!
    06-27-2011 06:53 AM
    I was just waiting for dual-core LTE phones, and hoping that the Bionic would come before the tiers. Now that we are 99% sure that Verizon isn't going to be waiting, I want to lock in the unlimited.

BTW, how is the battery life? I had a Bolt for a short time and that battery life was painful.
    Battery life is better than Bolt and much nicer screen. Bolt was a much less laggy device and i liked the build better but overall in prefer the Charge. The Sensation really does blow both of them away when comparing just the hardware but when considering network and coverage verizon and the Charge are best for me.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    06-27-2011 08:03 AM
    Battery life is better than Bolt and much nicer screen. Bolt was a much less laggy device and i liked the build better but overall in prefer the Charge. The Sensation really does blow both of them away when comparing just the hardware but when considering network and coverage verizon and the Charge are best for me.

Network is one of the biggest things for me--I'm in the Dallas area and trying to figure out if I want to sacrifice my unlimited minutes with T-Mobile for only 450 (with unlimited m2m) on Verizon, but a solid network.

I've tested the Charge in stores only and it has the most consistent speeds over other T-Mobile phones I've tested. Additionally, I don't know what will happen if/once AT&T takes over (if they will do away with the minutes or data packages). Did you switch from T-Mobile recently or have you always been with Verizon?
    06-27-2011 09:50 AM
    Network is one of the biggest things for me--I'm in the Dallas area and trying to figure out if I want to sacrifice my unlimited minutes with T-Mobile for only 450 (with unlimited m2m) on Verizon, but a solid network.

I've tested the Charge in stores only and it has the most consistent speeds over other T-Mobile phones I've tested. Additionally, I don't know what will happen if/once AT&T takes over (if they will do away with the minutes or data packages). Did you switch from T-Mobile recently or have you always been with Verizon?
    I've been with verizon just giving Tmobile an the Sensation a try. I travel all over Texas even though I reside in dfw and Verizon covers the vast rural areas of Texas better than any other. If I stayed in Dfw for work id probably stick with Tmobile as they are great here and offer the most for the money.

06-27-2011 12:41 PM
    Thought I'd see you over here eventually, haha.

Yes, if you want VZW LTE in the future, get the Charge now. While Verizon has yet to officially release the details of the new plans, we know that you DEFINITELY cannot have unlimited data if you sign up for a new data package after the cutoff date (which is currently 7/7 and unlikely to get pushed back any). So if you get the Charge now, you get unlimited LTE. If you don't, you won't ever get it unless Verizon decides to offer unlimited again in the future once their network can handle it (even they have no idea whether they'll do that or not). I'll try to give you a good picture of what its like to own a Charge, so you feel comfortable making this decision, which I think is the best one for you.

Obviously, I too was waiting for the Bionic, but honestly I've lost interest. The Charge is actually a really great phone, and doesn't seem to have any of the problems the other LTE devices seem to. It doesn't feel bulky, as its light and well-contoured, so it feels much smaller than a Droid X while being roughly the same physical size. Battery life is great, and is what you'd expect from any 4.3" screen Android device. In a 4g area, you'll get through a full day of light to moderate use with no problem, and if you used it fairly heavily during the day and have a full night ahead of you, it charges really fast with the 1-amp charger. So a few minutes on the charger after work while you shower, eat, or whatever will give you more than enough juice to get through a full night of activities. But again, most of the time that isn't needed, as it uses very little power on standby, and drains very slowly under light use, so many people have plenty of power to spare the next day.

3g battery life is even better, so if you live in a 3g only area, or want to turn LTE off (a simple settings change), you'll get through 2 full days. When I was at the beach on 3g, I was online ALOT during the day, checking forums, downloading apps, and doing some streaming (Pandora and Youtube HD). I also used the camera some, played a few games, and listened to music a few hours on the beach and at low volume all night. I had the display cranked up to its brightest when I was out in the sun, and watched a bit of a movie to help me fall asleep at night. Even with all that, I got through a full day and night with power to spare in the morning. I'd plug it up after breakfast and it was full in two hours or less (didn't check it before then and it was always full). The only times I see a quick drain is when I'm playing 3d games (Gameloft titles typically) and/or constantly running benchmarks. So battery life is not an issue compared to any other high-end Android device.

Network performance seems great as well. Yes, there are occasional issues, but those are related to the network and not the phone. The phone holds a good signal, doesn't have latency issues, and switching happens seemlessly. Call quality is quite good, wifi works, and GPS is quick and accurate to get a fix.

The other stuff doesn't matter so much, since I've covered the usability. But you're gonna LOVE this screen, its simply beautiful. The camera is great as well, remember both are the same as the GS2. The phone feels plenty fast as it is, and ditching TouchWiz for something different (I recommend Go Launcher) makes it much more refreshing to use. You're coming from a Sensation, so if it does feel slow, there's already a ton of development that really speeds this thing up. The GummyCharged ROM is very stable and has everything you need, while being much faster, smoother, and more aesthetically pleasing than stock. imnuts also has developed two kernels that allow you to use the voodoo lagfix (convert the slower RFS filesystem to EXT4) and voodoo sound (turns your phone into a better sounding portable audio player than any iPod) as well as having a number of other tweaks that speed it up and improve battery life. You can even undervolt and or overclock with one of his kernels, I've got mine undervolted and maxing out at 1.2ghz and its great. So this phone will keep you quite happy long enough for some truly great devices to come out, its not like this is just a holdover phone.

I hope that helps, lemme know if you need anything more, and look forward to seeing you around in here.
    06-27-2011 12:48 PM
    Thanks all.

I've sorta been going back and forth about it, but I know that I'm eventually going to end up back at Verizon and I don't want to be paying those obscene rates. I'm going to play with a charge for a bit tomorrow, and then I'll make my decision. One of my biggest concerns was that the last time I played with an LTE device in a VZW store, the speeds were actually LESS than what I'm getting now on T-mobile. Hopefully that was just a fluke. LOVE the Sensation hardware, but LTE is just too tempting.
    06-27-2011 02:09 PM

Yes, if you want VZW LTE in the future, get the Charge now. While Verizon has yet to officially release the details of the new plans, we know that you DEFINITELY cannot have unlimited data if you sign up for a new data package after the cutoff date (which is currently 7/7 and unlikely to get pushed back any). So if you get the Charge now, you get unlimited LTE. If you don't, you won't ever get it unless Verizon decides to offer unlimited again in the future once their network can handle it (even they have no idea whether they'll do that or not). I'll try to give you a good picture of what its like to own a Charge, so you feel comfortable making this decision, which I think is the best one for you.

Obviously, I too was waiting for the Bionic, but honestly I've lost interest. The Charge is actually a really great phone, and doesn't seem to have any of the problems the other LTE devices seem to. It doesn't feel bulky, as its light and well-contoured, so it feels much smaller than a Droid X while being roughly the same physical size. Battery life is great, and is what you'd expect from any 4.3" screen Android device. In a 4g area, you'll get through a full day of light to moderate use with no problem, and if you used it fairly heavily during the day and have a full night ahead of you, it charges really fast with the 1-amp charger. So a few minutes on the charger after work while you shower, eat, or whatever will give you more than enough juice to get through a full night of activities. But again, most of the time that isn't needed, as it uses very little power on standby, and drains very slowly under light use, so many people have plenty of power to spare the next day.

3g battery life is even better, so if you live in a 3g only area, or want to turn LTE off (a simple settings change), you'll get through 2 full days. When I was at the beach on 3g, I was online ALOT during the day, checking forums, downloading apps, and doing some streaming (Pandora and Youtube HD). I also used the camera some, played a few games, and listened to music a few hours on the beach and at low volume all night. I had the display cranked up to its brightest when I was out in the sun, and watched a bit of a movie to help me fall asleep at night. Even with all that, I got through a full day and night with power to spare in the morning. I'd plug it up after breakfast and it was full in two hours or less (didn't check it before then and it was always full). The only times I see a quick drain is when I'm playing 3d games (Gameloft titles typically) and/or constantly running benchmarks. So battery life is not an issue compared to any other high-end Android device.

Network performance seems great as well. Yes, there are occasional issues, but those are related to the network and not the phone. The phone holds a good signal, doesn't have latency issues, and switching happens seemlessly. Call quality is quite good, wifi works, and GPS is quick and accurate to get a fix.

The other stuff doesn't matter so much, since I've covered the usability. But you're gonna LOVE this screen, its simply beautiful. The camera is great as well, remember both are the same as the GS2. The phone feels plenty fast as it is, and ditching TouchWiz for something different (I recommend Go Launcher) makes it much more refreshing to use. You're coming from a Sensation, so if it does feel slow, there's already a ton of development that really speeds this thing up. The GummyCharged ROM is very stable and has everything you need, while being much faster, smoother, and more aesthetically pleasing than stock. imnuts also has developed two kernels that allow you to use the voodoo lagfix (convert the slower RFS filesystem to EXT4) and voodoo sound (turns your phone into a better sounding portable audio player than any iPod) as well as having a number of other tweaks that speed it up and improve battery life. You can even undervolt and or overclock with one of his kernels, I've got mine undervolted and maxing out at 1.2ghz and its great. So this phone will keep you quite happy long enough for some truly great devices to come out, its not like this is just a holdover phone.

I hope that helps, lemme know if you need anything more, and look forward to seeing you around in here.
    That's very thorough, thanks! I'm not so concerned about speed. The sensation is fast, but I know hummingbird is fast too.

I'm probably going to take care of this wednesday or Friday. Just depends on how long it takes vzw to reactivate my old account.
    Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk
    06-27-2011 05:23 PM

which one of imnutz kernels will alow you to over and underclock? thanks in advance! Im using imnuts 2.6.32.9 kernel if this is the overclock kernel I was unaware and if it is can i just use the SetCPU app?
    06-27-2011 06:16 PM
    which one of imnutz kernels will alow you to over and underclock? thanks in advance!
    I would like to know as well.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk
    06-27-2011 09:32 PM
    Just a quick update:

Got a Galaxy S 4G today from ebay, and I'm loving it. Since its 90% the same phone, I think I'll have no problems switching. I'll miss the dual core, but the Bionic's coming soon enough.
    06-28-2011 01:12 AM
    which one of imnutz kernels will alow you to over and underclock? thanks in advance! Im using imnuts 2.6.32.9 kernel if this is the overclock kernel I was unaware and if it is can i just use the SetCPU app?
    This kernel.
    jkeene81 likes this.
    06-28-2011 01:55 AM
    I don't know if its on here or not, but look in the development section on xda. Its the kernel dated 6-15, not 6-02. The description says its got oc/uv capabilities, but only get that if you plan to use them, as imnuts already slightly undervolted the other one. If you already have cwm, just flash the zip there.

You use voltage control to set voltages and enable different speeds, and SetCPU to set the max once youve got a stable voltage at each speed. I would uv each of the stock speeds first, using setcpu to limit the max and test for stability, until you're slightly undervolted at every stock speed. Then enable 1200 in VC, and set the min and max there in setcpu to find a stable voltage. Then you set the min back at 100, max 1200, and save as boot in setcpu. Then save your profile in VC as boot, reboot into CWM, clear voltage settings and dalvik cache, reboot, load and check everything, then reboot again

Good to go.
    jkeene81 likes this.
    06-28-2011 02:08 AM
    Verizon tried their best to make me switching to them as difficult as possible, and almost lost me tonight.

Basically, I had an account within the last 30 days, so they had to reactivate the old one. Since I wanted the phone at Best Buy (reward zone points, don't ask), the lady offered to do the port and activate the account. Long and short of it; best buy's systems weren't able to read that the account was active but not activated, so it took two hours of me going back and forth to the verizon store next door trying to get them to fix it. All this without a phone since the port went through and I didn't have any verizon equipment to attach it to.

They were FINALLY able to fix it at about 8:45 after I had to go home in order to get access to a working phone where I could yell at them, which was too late to go to Best Buy. So right now I have no phone, and an eligible upgrade on my line all ready for me to go to best buy tomorrow.

I'm still PISSED, but as long as I can get the damn phone tomorrow I'll be okay.

(why is Verizon making it so hard for me to part with $300 and $100 a month?!)
    06-28-2011 10:48 PM
    Got my charge today. (finally!) Loving it so far. Don't really notice any huge speed differences in daily use compared to the dual core.

06-29-2011 07:03 PM
    Got my charge today. (finally!) Loving it so far. Don't really notice any huge speed differences in daily use compared to the dual core.

Wait till it has Voodoo running!!!!
    06-29-2011 07:09 PM
    Wait till it has Voodoo running!!!!
    Ha. Well, I'm going to get used to it before I try any modding.
    06-29-2011 11:17 PM
    Okay so I'm getting used to touchwiz, but the poo colored menus are making me cast some longing glances at the revolution. It just looks so amateurish and nasty.

06-30-2011 07:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD