What is the *fastest* charger for the Charge?

basscadet

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Before I converted from my iPhone 4 to my Droid Charge, I would use my wife's iPad charger with my iPhone. The iPad charger would charge my iPhone up much, much faster than the stock Apple iPhone charger.

I'm wondering, is there any premium charger for the Droid Charge I could buy which would be faster than the stock charger? I'm getting maybe 10% battery life charge for every 20 minutes, which is quite awful.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Typically using a charger not meant for the phone will blow the battery up and make it swell. I recommend getting an official charger.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Ya read the side of the charger. It should say 5 Volts at 700 mA (milliamps)

I noticed my Charge's charger was 5v and 1.0 mA

I had several extra chargers from my BB's and they too said 5v but 700 mA

I asked on this forum if the BB's were OK to use before I plugged them in and the consensus was it's OK it just charges a little slower at 700 mA Then two days ago I received two OEM docks and they came with travel charges rated 700 mA (go figure)!

Like the other poster said charging a battery too fast shortens it's life. The slower the better.

If you don't think they will explode read this:
Droid Explodes in Man's Ear; 5 Other Cell Phone Nightmares

If you are so worried about charging it up fast then just buy a second samsung OEM battery. I see them on the web for around $15. Then you will not be in so much of a rush to re-charge your battery.

Two came with the docks so I now have 3 of them. I don't like extended batteries because they bulk up the Charge's form factor. I'm getting around 12 hours without tweaking some days with 25% left. And I keep an OEM $6 DC cig lighter charger in both my cars. Handy when using Google maps or GPS and the screen is on a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: basscadet

addictedtocars

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I thought the charger just supplied current, the phone has circuitry that does the charging and limits the way the battery charges. I didn't think the phone would pull more occurrent than it wants, thus if you use and iPad charger the phone may charge faster, but because the phone pulled more up to it's limit, not necessarily the full 2,1 amps

basscadet

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
If you are so worried about charging it up fast then just buy a second samsung OEM battery. I see them on the web for around $15. Then you will not be in so much of a rush to re-charge your battery.

Where can you get the OEM battery for that cheap?

Do they sell chargers so I can charge a battery without using the phone to charge it?

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Just so you know the truth came out about that phone blowing up in his ear and he admitted to dropping the phone and cracking the screen and cut his ear while talking on the phone, he made up the story about the battery blowing up, now I am not going to say it cant happen but that one most defiantly didnt happen

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Where can you get the OEM battery for that cheap?

Do they sell chargers so I can charge a battery without using the phone to charge it?

Amazon has the OEM batteries

Ebay does too but Ebay is more prone to knock off's that look exactly like OEM but are fakes.

Ebay also lists this company that sells from China and ships 2 day air for free. I don't know how they do it, it really arrives from China in like 2 days.
I've bought a few from this shop for my blackberries in the past (not OEM). For something like $6.95 with battery and charger or without the battery too. Charger is nice, plugs into a wall with the battery in it and has fold down plugs for traveling. I've bought a few of them for other phone as gifts for friends.

For what we sometimes pay like $24.95 this company sells their stuff and re-sellers like stores ect. re-brand the items Shows you for like $4.95 and this company in China can ship free it in 2 days for free in China and still make a profit . . . this is why the stores that sell you a phone come running out with the must have accessories. They probably don't make all that much on the phone and make a killing on the accessories. Like the Movie theater that makes make very little on the tickets, but makes a killing on the popcorn and candy.

An associate who liked my Charge went into a VZ re-seller store and walked out with a phone and a 3 pack of screen savers for $24.95. They probably bought those screen savers for $2! When I bought my Charge a guy near me was buying a samsung tablet. He must have bought 6 accessories for it (at a VZ store yet). The rep came out of the back room and couldn't even carry all the boxes, he kept dropping them on the floor. Gotta love it . . . someone has to keep this economy going hahaha.

Last edited:

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Just so you know the truth came out about that phone blowing up in his ear and he admitted to dropping the phone and cracking the screen and cut his ear while talking on the phone, he made up the story about the battery blowing up, now I am not going to say it cant happen but that one most defiantly didnt happen

Ya, I know . . . I never believe most of what I read on the web. But I remember about a year or two ago when Dell's laptop batteries were blowing up in airplane over head compartments.

My point was if the poster abuses his battery with a higher rated charger it can possibly explode or leak in the device.

traumanursenc

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Verizon had a decent deal on a dock for home with a spare battery included. The dock charges the spare battery and the phone at the same time. Less than 40 bucks with free 2-day shipping. Didnt seem bad to me.

rmanaka

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I just got two of these;

Amazon.com: XtremeMac IPU-IH2-11 InCharge Home for iPhone/iPod/iPad: Electronics

Dual 2.1 amp USB ports so I can charge ipad2 and my droid charge at same time.

I'm beginning to think that the DC cannot charge much faster than the standard OEM wall charger, especially if all the radios are running at full tilt.

The reason I'm saying that is because I just bought two car chargers, the Tek-Toc High Output Dual USB Port Car Charger for Ipad, Samsung Galaxy, Iphone, Blackberry, Droid, Gps, and Other Tablets, Smart Phones and High Powered Devices. Input: 12-24V DC; Output: 5.0V DC 2.1Amp!

I put used a CHARGE ONLY cable to connect the output from the car charger to the micro USB input of the DC...NO USB data connection was detected and the phone indicated that it was in charge mode. I loaded my navigation program, Copilot Live Premium (v9) with the GPS on, all location services enabled, screen manually set to about 60% brightness, 4G Automatic and Wifi OFF, Bluetooth ON with a connection to my Jawbone ERA headset.

The mount was in front of an air conditioning vent and the back of the phone was kept relatively cold. No thermal limiting of the screen or charge rate occurred.

The battery charge DROPPED about 1% to 2% every 10 minutes!!! Starting out with a fully charged and CALIBRATED battery, after a 45 minute trip I was down to about 90% of charge.

This leads me to think that the charging circuit in the DC is current limited. Too bad it won't even hold the battery charge when the screen, GPS and 4G radios are working!!! :(

With the ROM I have flashed, my normal battery life is really good. It took me about 18 hours to do a full battery calibration cycle...I was pretty much streaming video over WiFi (VZW data connection is very poor at my home).

Oh well...