I've had this problem since buying my Charge... not sure if its common or not.

When connected to Wifi (2-4 bars) for any extended period, I simply lose data connection. I always show a Wifi signal, but I can't connect to anything. I can switch to 3G or 4G and everything fires back up.

Is anyone else having this issue? I'm wondering if I should exchange this for a new Charge; but everything else works so well. I was really hoping that an update would fix this issue for me.
    06-28-2011 03:19 PM
    Does everyone else's work flawlessly?
    06-29-2011 07:53 AM
    I have data connection issues when on VZW's network, but not so much with WiFi. What I do notice is the signal strength on Wifi is much weaker than any other device I have connected to my WiFi. I just think the receiver in the Capture and all of these 4G phones is pretty poor...especially relative to 3G only phones.
    06-29-2011 08:56 AM
    I have data connection issues when on VZW's network, but not so much with WiFi. What I do notice is the signal strength on Wifi is much weaker than any other device I have connected to my WiFi. I just think the receiver in the Capture and all of these 4G phones is pretty poor...especially relative to 3G only phones.
    I have no data connection issues WHEN I HAVE A STRONG SIGNAL. One thing to check when 3G/4G has problems is to go into the phone status screen and check the numeric signal level. For me if the 3G/4G signal is roughly -102 to -105 it drops periodically. If it is the range of -90 to -80 it works flawlessly.
    06-29-2011 10:02 AM
    I've noticed some wonky wireless behavior but I think it's the ESPN fantasy baseball app and not the wireless. Fantasy app and Scorecenter sometimes won't work at all when connected.
    06-29-2011 10:25 AM
    I have no data connection issues WHEN I HAVE A STRONG SIGNAL. One thing to check when 3G/4G has problems is to go into the phone status screen and check the numeric signal level. For me if the 3G/4G signal is roughly -102 to -105 it drops periodically. If it is the range of -90 to -80 it works flawlessly.
    That may be true, but to me the VERY important point in all of this is that at the same signal strength and the same spot where this happens, the Iphone 4 on VZW has no issues. This is repeatable 100% of the time and at whatever location it occurs. So whatever the signal strength is, a 3G-only phone right next to you has no problems. Less sensitive radio in the Charge? Possibly, but whatever it is it doesn't behave as well as a 3G phone.
    06-29-2011 06:50 PM
    That may be true, but to me the VERY important point in all of this is that at the same signal strength and the same spot where this happens, the Iphone 4 on VZW has no issues. This is repeatable 100% of the time and at whatever location it occurs. So whatever the signal strength is, a 3G-only phone right next to you has no problems. Less sensitive radio in the Charge? Possibly, but whatever it is it doesn't behave as well as a 3G phone.
    One thing I noticed today was in a strong signal area I had a 4G signal, then it dropped and came back as 3G. I used the old airplane off/on trick and I got a 4G connection that held for about 30 minutes, then I had to leave so there was not an opportunity to see how long it would last. Some say it is a 4G network issue. If so it could indicate a 3G only phone would not have a problem since it not trying to get a 4G signal. OTOH when I had my BB I experienced the data signal drop in a low signal area. It seems the airplane mode cycling resets something The only comparison I have for WIFI siganal is between my Charge and laptop. It is an unfair comparison since the laptop has a higher gain antenna and possibly better transmitter/receiver.
    06-29-2011 09:19 PM
    I can drop data on Wifi with full bars or one bar, doesn't seem to make any difference. I can be sitting right next to the wireless router and be completely unable to connect to anything.

Am I the only one with this issue?

This is NOT a 3G/4G issue... this is WIFI only, for me.
    06-29-2011 09:34 PM
    I can drop data on Wifi with full bars or one bar, doesn't seem to make any difference. I can be sitting right next to the wireless router and be completely unable to connect to anything.

Am I the only one with this issue?

This is NOT a 3G/4G issue... this is WIFI only, for me.
    I have not had a WIFI problem. As an experiment you may want to have WIFI only turned on, restart and see if you get a different result.
    06-29-2011 10:50 PM
    I might experiement, but it's honestly a moot point. I've had the issue for the entire ownership of the phone and have had numerous restarts since that point.

Seems like it connects right away, no issue. I'll check back 10-minutes later and nothing has sync'd and no network apps will open.
    06-30-2011 09:27 AM
    I have no bars on wifi (wireless-N) right now but speedtest.net shows 15mb down, 2 mb up. This is as good as when I stand next to the router. So I dunno what's up with that.
    06-30-2011 07:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD