File System Question

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
As we all know, the Charge (like all of the other Touchwiz 3.0 devices) is saddled with RFS. It's not horrible, but it slows down the phone consistently and masks the true performance of hummingbird.

So my question is this: with the gingerbread update, does anyone think that they'll upgrade the file system to EXT4? I thought that EXT4 was a necessary part of Gingerbread, but I did some searching and the Galaxy S update sticks with RFS as well. It just seems odd that one of the headline features of gingerbread would be left out.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
GB has nothing to do with the filesystem. It is just a version of the Android OS.

The rfs filesystem on Samsung phones does have shortcomings like slow read/write compared to ext4.
On the galaxy s phones, and now the charge on froyo, we have an rfs to ext4 conversion called voodoo lagfix. This lagfix is enabled with a voodoo kernel.
Supercurio is the main man in the development of voodoo. Project Voodoo, Galaxy S improvements | Open Source project homepage

Seeing as the GB leak for the charge is so new and includes a kernel, rom and radio, it is in a fairly stock, and from reports, still buggy condition. The kernel that comes with this leak is not voodoo, so no lagfix (ext4). The dev guys haven't sunk their mits onto it yet. :p
What we will need is pretty much the only developer (imnuts) producing kernels for the charge to port his excellent froyo voodoo lagfix kernel over to GB.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01