Hey everyone, just wanted to give a heads up if you didn't already know... Starting July 7th Verizon Wireless IS infact going to the tiered data package layout. the 29.99 package that is currently unlimited will be changing to a capped 2gb allowance per month, there will also be a 50 dollar package for 5gb per month and 10 gb for 80 dollars... 90% of cell phone users do not use over 2gb... if you are already on an unlimited data package you will not have to worry, you will be grandfathered in and still remain with unlimited data. I work for a premium authorized verizon wireless retailer so I got the heads up already. Just wanted to get this out there for everyone that may not already know.
    4given_p8ntblr likes this.
    07-02-2011 02:46 AM
    Hey everyone, just wanted to give a heads up if you didn't already know... Starting July 7th Verizon Wireless IS infact going to the tiered data package layout. the 29.99 package that is currently unlimited will be changing to a capped 2gb allowance per month, there will also be a 50 dollar package for 5gb per month and 10 gb for 80 dollars... 90% of cell phone users do not use over 2gb... if you are already on an unlimited data package you will not have to worry, you will be grandfathered in and still remain with unlimited data. I work for a premium authorized verizon wireless retailer so I got the heads up already. Just wanted to get this out there for everyone that may not already know.
    Yea, I have been reading into that Fear, thank you for the official statement. I also called the Verizon Customer Server ( so much better than the in store associates.. in all ways) and this lady named Tish assured me that I would be grandfathered in with the Droid Charge I bought outright and activated a few days ago. I'm so excited for the 4G unlimited
    07-02-2011 11:50 PM
    90% of cell phone users do not use over 2gb...
    Probably more like 20% for 4g.
    07-02-2011 11:56 PM
    Probably more like 20% for 4g.
    tell me about it. 250mb in 4 weeks of 3g and 4 days of 4g i am at 1.5 gb.... i just do a lot more on it now that i dont have to wait
    07-03-2011 12:08 AM
    I'm at 4gb. I travel full time and watch hbo-go when in the hotel. Wait until Netflix! One movie is about a gig.
    07-03-2011 06:33 AM
    Ok here's a little more detail about data usuage... we got the official release yesterday at work... 95% of cell phone users use less than 2gb a month... That 5% that do use over 2gb actually use 45% of the TOTAL data used throughout the entire verizon network each month... But yes if you already have unlimited you are for sure grandfathered in and there is no talk of taking the grandfathering away anytime soon. Even if you upgrage your phone later on they still plan on honoring the grandfathered unlimited data. As with anything, that can change anytime verizon see's the need to. The reason verizon is changing to this tiered data method is in large part due to that 5% of users using up 45% of the entire networks data each month. This is why so many people have been having data connectivity problems in certain areas. They decided to launch this now to help prevent this problem from here on out and give everyone the ability to have data access fairly like they should. It sucks in a way, but when you look at it that way it's more than fair to the 95% of users that aren't using nearly as much data. So we will see in the next month or two if this really does help with data connectivity. On a side note verizon plans on being fully 4g nationwide within the next year and a half. Meaning anywhere you currently only get 3g, within that time you should get 4g!

I do not hold responsibility for this information as I only work for a verizon wireless authorized retailer and we had a meeting with an official verizon rep yesterday that went over this information with us, I just thought it'd be nice to share with my fellow Charge users

Also I'm keeping in contact with someone about the possibility of a family data package, so don't count that out just yet. We get people asking about it frequently in the store and I've been told it's being considered by verizon which would be a fantastic thing for families using data on multiple phones!
    07-03-2011 03:46 PM
    Ok here's a little more detail about data usuage... we got the official release yesterday at work... 95% of cell phone users use less than 2gb a month... That 5% that do use over 2gb actually use 45% of the TOTAL data used throughout the entire verizon network each month... But yes if you already have unlimited you are for sure grandfathered in and there is no talk of taking the grandfathering away anytime soon. Even if you upgrage your phone later on they still plan on honoring the grandfathered unlimited data. As with anything, that can change anytime verizon see's the need to. The reason verizon is changing to this tiered data method is in large part due to that 5% of users using up 45% of the entire networks data each month. This is why so many people have been having data connectivity problems in certain areas.
    To me I call BS to some extent, you want to take care of those people then offer somehting like TMO where you offer unlimited data then throttle, so do 4GB for $30 and then throttle anything over 4GB and then offer a 10GB plan that is full speed to 10GB then throttled. They are strictly setting themselves up for a few years from now when most people will use more than 2GB. I just started with my phoen and with 4GB I came in just under 2GB for the month and I barely used it yet as I am still loading it up.
    07-03-2011 03:54 PM
    But yes if you already have unlimited you are for sure grandfathered in and there is no talk of taking the grandfathering away anytime soon.
    While this is true, the contract I signed with my Droid Charge purchase last month said that if I used more data than 95% of the users on Verizon's network, then Verizon had the right to throttle my data speed.
    07-03-2011 05:41 PM
    While this is true, the contract I signed with my Droid Charge purchase last month said that if I used more data than 95% of the users on Verizon's network, then Verizon had the right to throttle my data speed.
    Oh no doubt, they reserve the right to do so whenever they feel it necessary. But in most cases that will only happen to people they have a large suspicion about. Like I said I work for an authorized retailer, but I'm not directly linked to verizon I just get information handed down to me and like to share what I know with the community. I'm in the same boat as everyone else here!
    07-03-2011 05:56 PM
    95% of cell phone users use less than 2gb a month... That 5% that do use over 2gb actually use 45% of the TOTAL data used throughout the entire verizon network each month...
    probably because 95% of the customers don't have smartphones and also don't pay a monthly data plan. What are the data statistics for smartphone users?
    07-04-2011 01:35 AM
    My billing period started 5 days ago and I have used 600 megabytes on 4g. Glad I got on the unlimited train. :-P

Don't even bother with wifi nowdays.

Message sent from Tapatalk
    07-04-2011 02:01 AM
    My billing period started 5 days ago and I have used 600 megabytes on 4g. Glad I got on the unlimited train. :-P

Don't even bother with wifi nowdays.

Message sent from Tapatalk
    You're lucky. I've had my Charge since Thursday and I've used 1.5 gigs.
    07-04-2011 02:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD