Droid DNA--- My 1 Year Compromise

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The Droid DNA represents a compromise for me personally. It's the device to serve me for a year until I can get another Nexus device.

My current device is the Galaxy Nexus. On Verizon. Ugh....

Battery life: poor.

Camera: uh...okay in the right lighting.

Screen: great last year, now its not so great.

Build: though made of plastic, it has proven very resilient.

Performance: really good with the JB update.

Network Speed: excellent.

That last reason....oh, that last reason...those damn LTE speeds! It's become so fundamental in my use of my device, that I couldn't go back to anything less. I seriously considered StraightTalk. But their speeds in my area just aren't up to snuff. Why have a phone with such great internals and with such a beautiful screen that can't take advantage of high speed connections.

Yet, for many, StraightTalk and other prepaid networks are providing good enough service, and for those of you who can go that route, more power to you. Wish I was in the same boat.

Instead, I'm having to sacrifice great, quick updates from Google to have a device that's useful to me now. And you know what....?

I don't think I really mind.

Jelly Bean has more than enough currently to keep me happy. With Google Now being able to be updated separately from the core OS, its even better. I'm hoping and thinking that this trend will continue.

Also, I have a strong feeling that next years Nexus will definitely have LTE.

So until then....I'm fine with compromise. How about you guys?

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The Droid DNA represents a compromise for me personally. It's the device to serve me for a year until I can get another Nexus device.

My current device is the Galaxy Nexus. On Verizon. Ugh....

Battery life: poor.

Camera: uh...okay in the right lighting.

Screen: great last year, now its not so great.

Build: though made of plastic, it has proven very resilient.

Performance: really good with the JB update.

Network Speed: excellent.

That last reason....oh, that last reason...those damn LTE speeds! It's become so fundamental in my use of my device, that I couldn't go back to anything less. I seriously considered StraightTalk. But their speeds in my area just aren't up to snuff. Why have a phone with such great internals and with such a beautiful screen that can't take advantage of high speed connections.

Yet, for many, StraightTalk and other prepaid networks are providing good enough service, and for those of you who can go that route, more power to you. Wish I was in the same boat.

Instead, I'm having to sacrifice great, quick updates from Google to have a device that's useful to me now. And you know what....?

I don't think I really mind.

Jelly Bean has more than enough currently to keep me happy. With Google Now being able to be updated separately from the core OS, its even better. I'm hoping and thinking that this trend will continue.

Also, I have a strong feeling that next years Nexus will definitely have LTE.

So until then....I'm fine with compromise. How about you guys?

What you said

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

bigfoot871

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
My contract is over in a year too. But im willing to switch to this phone also soon. I have the Samsung Stratosphere and its just glitchy its starting to slow down and its not reciving calls all the time and im just done with it. So ill most likely be making the early switch.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Android Central Forums

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
My contract is over in a year too. But im willing to switch to this phone also soon. I have the Samsung Stratosphere and its just glitchy its starting to slow down and its not reciving calls all the time and im just done with it. So ill most likely be making the early switch.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Android Central Forums

What made you get the Stratosphere?

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree but for me I don't feel its a compromise because I really think the Droid DNA will be a much better phone than the N4. This should have been the Nexus in my opinion. Until the Nexus line matures to the point of having multiple phones on multiple carriers I will probably not get one again. Once we root this thing it will be even better.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree but for me I don't feel its a compromise because I really think the Droid DNA will be a much better phone than the N4. This should have been the Nexus in my opinion. Until the Nexus line matures to the point of having multiple phones on multiple carriers I will probably not get one again. Once we root this thing it will be even better.

Rooting is what I am waiting for. I just want a mostly pure Jelly Bean ROM. I don't need to change kernels or anything like that. Just a mostly pure Android experience.

Appogee

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Rooting is what I am waiting for. I just want a mostly pure Jelly Bean ROM. I don't need to change kernels or anything like that. Just a mostly pure Android experience.

From what I've heard, Sense Jellybean is kinda of sweet. With most phones you'll get the pure android first, most likely after that people start porting roms. Recently there has been a lot of development for the MyTouch 4G Slide and I've been able to try out ParanoidAndroid. You'll probably want to try it out if you haven't, it'll probably be amazing for the DLX since it allows you to switch between the Phone, Phablet, and Tablet UI of Jellybean all in one rom. Super slick too.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I sort of agree. I'm hoping this phone will be the first to last me 2 years....it would be nice to get another nexus, because I love pure android, however I'm not married to the idea of pure only. This phone looks awesome and I've always enjoyed some of the features of sense, and with the performance of my Gnex slowly going down over the last few months, I just assume its the right time buy this phone.

Saucz

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I am in the EXACT same boat as you. I am actually still so tempted to get the Nexus but I think I just won't be able to give up the LTE. Don't get me wrong, the DNA is just as capable, if not more in some areas, as the N4 but I'm a die hard Android fan and the pure Google experience is tempting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20