Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

I guess I should point out that the "need" for something like this would be limited to those few times when you're going to be out and away from any charging sources for over 12-16 hours. Other than that I think it's fair to say that we all have chargers by our bedstands, around the house, in the car and in our work environments. So I would get one of these just to have with me if I knew I was going to be on a long flight or otherwise away from my normal daily life for anything over 12 hours. For any other time I think the bult-in battery should be just fine. Really no different from those folks who say the lack of a replaceable battery is a deal breaker and then carry a spare. Just think of one of these as the same thing as "a spare."

That last statement is exactly what I came down to. I carry a battery just in case, it would be no different to carry a small battery pack. Either that or you are going to see a huge explosion in the battery pack/case mobi combo

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Once or twice a day isn't "all the time".

The One X+ battery is almost exactly the same size as the DNA.

Really? Imagine that you had to fill up your gas tank twice a day. It becomes very annoying. I recharge a lot and this is also while constantly turning things like wifi, data and bluetooth on and off all day too. All I'm asking is for a device that can make it through the day. We have the technology let's use it.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You do have things like the mobi case and portable power packs that are going to become more prevalent as manufacturers start making non removable batteries the norm.

Some of the he portables are no bigger than a pen so it isn't all that big a deal.

This is a very true and is starting to be a better option. In fact this one looks very cool. http://www.droidax.com. You can press a button on the back of the case when you need to charge it.

But you know what would be an even better option? If manufacturers made devices that had batteries that could power their devices for a reasonable amount of time without babysitting and recharging all day. Just saying. ;)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
This is a very true and is starting to be a better option. In fact this one looks very cool. http://www.droidax.com. You can press a button on the back of the case when you need to charge it.

But you know what would be an even better option? If manufacturers made devices that had batteries that could power their devices for a reasonable amount of time without babysitting and recharging all day. Just saying. ;)

I agree and I just do not get it. I hammer the daylights out of my sgs3 and get about 16 hours out of it... I need to sleep for 8 so... Mine goes all day...

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree and I just do not get it. I hammer the daylights out of my sgs3 and get about 16 hours out of it... I need to sleep for 8 so... Mine goes all day...

This is good to hear. My SGS2 is weak. My friends HTC Facinate sucked and my other friends One X sucks. The only devices that I have heard are "okay" are the s3 the (choke) iPhone5 and of course the Maxx. And these reports are coming from friends, not from online reviews. But other than the Maxx I still think the s3 and ip5 could be better for heavy users. Maybe when I upgrade to my next phone I will be so blown away because of the lackluster performance of my SGS2 that I will be in good shape.

We all have our dreams. :thumbup:

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Some manufacturers do.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Some manufacturers do.

One manufacturer does it on one phone. Then you have the next tier that have decent batteries and really efficient use of them, then you have everyone else.

My fascinate was bad, my charge was better but still bad, my rezound was horrible, my sgs3 is pretty darn good.

Battery life may not improve on battery tech alone. As everything that uses the battery gets more efficient, battery life will increase. I think that the DNA will not be that bad.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Here's a question to ask yourself...
IF I have a tablet or Laptop... running on battery only, would it make it through the day using it as many have spoken about in this forum.
I feel like I'm reading Monty Python... search for the Holy Grail !

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Here's a question to ask yourself...
IF I have a tablet or Laptop... running on battery only, would it make it through the day using it as many have spoken about in this forum.
I feel like I'm reading Monty Python... search for the Holy Grail !

I hope you are joking.

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
The only devices that I have heard are "okay" are the s3 the (choke) iPhone5 and of course the Maxx. And these reports are coming from friends, not from online reviews. But other than the Maxx I still think the s3 and ip5 could be better for heavy users.
I've read every DNA review out there, and it seems like (for the most part) the DNA's battery life is on par with the SGS3.

chassum

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Really? Imagine that you had to fill up your gas tank twice a day. It becomes very annoying. I recharge a lot and this is also while constantly turning things like wifi, data and bluetooth on and off all day too. All I'm asking is for a device that can make it through the day. We have the technology let's use it.

I live in the land of Long Commutes where I've actually _had_ to fill up my tank every day. It was not the EndOfTheWorld ;)

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I carry a battery just in case, it would be no different to carry a small battery pack.
There are two separate things -- on one hand, you swap out a battery and you use the phone as usual. On the other, you have a battery pack almost as big as your phone dangling from it. One scenario is normal. The other is... not.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
There are two separate things -- on one hand, you swap out a battery and you use the phone as usual. On the other, you have a battery pack almost as big as your phone dangling from it. One scenario is normal. The other is... not.

One plus for the battery pack, is that you don't need to shutdown your device.

ngustin

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a TB and take it off the charger at 6:30am everyday. I go to work, use when needed, and put it back on the charger around 11pm when I go to bed. I checked email often, look up a handful or things on the Internet and stream music or videos for probably an hour or two total each day. I'm not sure if people don't have jobs and are able to spend literally all day on their phone so 40 hours of battery life (may be a bit of an exaggeration) is necessary, but doesn't anyone remember the old days before smartphones when you had a nokia or kyocera and it was awesome and you used it and plugged it in at night? A days charge is enough for me. I'm looking forward to this phone or maybe the next similar phone after.

I'm one of the seemingly few that had a good to decent experience with the thunderbolt, but I'm thinking of waiting to read some reviews and then deciding... My upgrade isn't until the first week of December anyway, so I have some time. And I know, if you keep waiting for the next best thing you'll never buy a phone, but that's not an issue with me, I'll buy what I think is best for me soon after my upgrade is available.
I agree and I just do it not get it. I hammer the daylights out of my sgs3 and get about 16 hours out of it... I need to sleep for 8 so... Mine goes all day...

njgsx96

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm one of the seemingly few that had a good to decent experience with the thunderbolt, but I'm thinking of waiting to read some reviews and then deciding... My upgrade isn't until the first week of December anyway, so I have some time. And I know, if you keep waiting for the next best thing you'll never buy a phone, but that's not an issue with me, I'll buy what I think is best for me soon after my upgrade is available.

Same here. We are a rare breeed. LOL! I have been very happy with my TB and get 36-48 hours with what I would consider might to moderate use. If I happen to use it more during the day (if I don't feel like working too hard that day), I definitely notice more battery drain but it always makes it through the day with 15-30% left. I am fine charging it when I sleep so as long as the DNA can get through a typical day for me, I am almost positively getting it, although I will be looking forward to the personal reviews we should be seeing over the next coupdl days.

Jason_A

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Same here. We are a rare breeed. LOL! I have been very happy with my TB and get 36-48 hours with what I would consider might to moderate use. If I happen to use it more during the day (if I don't feel like working too hard that day), I definitely notice more battery drain but it always makes it through the day with 15-30% left. I am fine charging it when I sleep so as long as the DNA can get through a typical day for me, I am almost positively getting it, although I will be looking forward to the personal reviews we should be seeing over the next coupdl days.

Are you on wi-fi most of the day? That makes a HUGE difference with the TB. Even with the extended battery and leaving the screen off all day, I'm pretty sure my TB would be dead just on idle after 8-10 hrs when on 3G/4G only.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Might be helpful to read this article.

From here: Droid DNA The Real Battery Test - Rochester Droid X | Examiner.com

The HTC Droid DNA will officially launch this Wed November 21st. As of this writing many lucky Pre Order buyers of the device may receive it tomorrow per shipping notifications given out on Sunday. Many sites have already gotten their review units and have had the DNA for almost a week and posted up their mini reviews on important details about the device. Looking through many forums i hear that the main concern is the DNA's battery and lack of extra juice to sustain for a day (the Droid DNA will ship with a 2020mAH size battery). Here is what we see so far around the web about battery.

Engadget: "In terms of real-life usage, the DNA got us through a full day on moderate use"
Cnet: "I was surprised by the HTC Droid DNA's battery performance, as well. Despite the phone's large screen and swift performance, the handset's embedded 2,020mAh battery lasted for a long 8 hours and 43 minutes in the CNET Labs video battery drain test."
Gizmodo: "That big screen is paired with LTE and a relatively modest 2020 mAh Li-Ion battery, but the Droid DNA still lasted until 10pm every night with moderately heavy usage. It's certainly nowhere near the marathon levels of the Droid RAZR MAXX HD, but it outlasts the Galaxy S3."
TechnoBuffalo: "The DROID DNA features a 2,020mAh battery, which was able to get me to the end of the day with about a 30 percent charge."
PhoneScoop: "Battery life of LTE smartphones has come a long way in the last year. The DNA includes a 2,020mAh battery, which provides enough juice to use it for an entire day, even when under LTE coverage. In fact, I had a hard time running the battery down, even with intensive use. It consistently lasted longer than 24 hours."
LaptopMag: "The Droid DNA packs a 2,020 mAh battery that's not removable, but we saw pretty good endurance given this phone's huge display. During the LAPTOP Battery Test (continuous Web surfing over 4G LTE on 40 percent brightness), the DNA lasted 6 hours and 29 minutes. That's a half-hour longer than the 6:01 category average... The Samsung Galaxy S3 lasted 6:55, but it also has a dimmer display."
PCMag: "With all the processing power and the big, ultra-high-resolution display, battery life is a big concern here. The Droid DNA's non removable 2,020mAh battery was good for a solid 10 hours and 40 minutes of talk time, which is almost identical to the Galaxy S3's 10 hours and 43 minutes."
PhoneArena: "We were desperately hoping for the best with battery life, but alas, it puts out nothing more than average results. Charging its 2,020 mAh battery, we?re able to fly by the 10 hour mark before it?s completely depleted ? thus hitting the tally we?re normally accustomed to seeing with most Verizon 4G LTE smartphones."
Phil Nickinson via Android Central -How I look at battery life: From the moment the phone is unplugged from the charger, it's "in use." For me, that usually starts about 6 a.m. I still think "display on time" is obsessed over a little too much. It's important, to be sure. But a poor network connection will kill a battery even if you're not using the phone. So don't discount what's happening when you're not holding the phone. Droid DNA battery life: It's good. Not just kinda good, but really good. At least as good as the Galaxy S3.
So what I am trying to get at is that with many devices it is so hard to try and calculate what battery life will really give you. The only constant in everyone using the same device is that all will have the same size 2020 mAh battery upon purchase. How it is consumed during the day is on you. I have an extended battery Samsung Galaxy Nexus with a 2100mAh size battery. I pulled on one occasion 18 hours of usage . More days I am currently only pulling about 10 hours. People would ask me when I would recommend phones how battery life is. I always would reply with "For me, battery is great but for you it may be different.". Many tests are done to test battery life and we all read them before buying a device. I am guilty of that as well. The true test though is with you as a consumer. Buy a device and utilize that grace period for you to return a device. Some carriers have 15 days if you decide to return a device for another. Stop looking at sites on how great or bad battery life can be and making your judgement on if to buy or not. A good review may produce bad results when you use the device. A bad review may steer you away from a great device and ultimately have you settle with something else. Buy the device, download all the apps you would regularly use, and continue your phone usage like it is not a new device. Of course any new device you get you may take a while to get use to it or even understand how to use it, but try and use the first couple days to get the hang of it. The last days of your return window should be full on regular usage. Determine your usage and battery consumption and from there make your judgment The Droid DNA looks like an excellent phone with stellar specs. The 1080p screen itself is a master of beauty. I myself will be purchasing one on Wednesday for myself. If I don't feel like the device is up to my standards with my own usage, then I will make my true decision to return it. I would not want myself or any other reader to be stuck with a phone they did not like for 2 years. This advice I am putting out there can go for all cell phone purchases. The holidays are coming and I hope you take this into consideration.

PS: Cell phones make great gifts. I recommend that if you are purchasing one as a gift to always buy it a few days before you give it. That way the return period can stay open in case the receiver dislikes the device, they can return for another of their choosing. Don't make judgments for others based on your usage.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This is good to hear. My SGS2 is weak. My friends HTC Facinate sucked and my other friends One X sucks. The only devices that I have heard are "okay" are the s3 the (choke) iPhone5 and of course the Maxx. And these reports are coming from friends, not from online reviews. But other than the Maxx I still think the s3 and ip5 could be better for heavy users. Maybe when I upgrade to my next phone I will be so blown away because of the lackluster performance of my SGS2 that I will be in good shape.

We all have our dreams. :thumbup:

Don't forget the Note 2! I hear that battery kicks a**!