I have a DROID DNA. You have questions. Fire away!

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
OK, but it also doesn't take rocket science to see that these are two very different phones, both internally and in external design.

You can't possibly be disappointed in the battery having not used it. As for the SD card, I hear ya. I especially hear ya because Verizon chose to go with 16GB, and it simply doesn't cost 'em that much more to do 32GB.

Well Phil, I am certainly not going to get into it any further with the forum boss. Good luck with the phone!!

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
There is a reason the DNA is selling for $100 less than newly released Verizon powerhouse phones .... because it is not a powerhouse phone when battery power cannot match its competetion and there is no SD card slot in sight.

There is also a reason why you don't work for a corporate mobile handset manufacturer (assumption based off your posts saying manufacturers are "idiots"). And that's because you think that because you are unsatisfied with battery life and lack of SD card that every other person must be outraged too! The battery life on this phone will be sufficient for a great deal of people, as will the 16 gigs of storage. HTC is not out to cater to individuals, its out to cater to majorities. And if they had found that the majority of people would buy more because of the 100 cost savings you bet your ass they're going to go that way.

xucardsfan08

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Phil .... I understand where people are annoyed and think little of the manufacturers. You are in a position where you get to handle and play with all kinds of new devices. That is awesome for you. The rest of us, on the other hand, only get our fix with upgrades and for those who favor HTC, we've been waiting for a really great phone and one that would match the battery output of the Maxx.

The specs from Verizon say the DNA will provide 12.5 hours of usege and usage numbers from manufacturers are always high. The specs on the Maxx are surly bloated, claiming 30 hours, but there is a Maxx in my house and I can tell you that the battery rocks. The Maxx is very thin, and I see no reason why the DNA could not have matched that spec. It was idiotic of HTC to not capture its market, and now I am one HTC fan who is not holding her breath waiting for HTC to come out with another phone. I was ready to steal a family member's upgrade for this new phone, but not now. There is a reason the DNA is selling for $100 less than newly released Verizon powerhouse phones .... because it is not a powerhouse phone when battery power cannot match its competetion and there is no SD card slot in sight.

Precisely. Hell, even if you doubled the thickness of the phone with all that going to a larger and heavier battery, the phone would still sell like hotcakes. I'm don't have the device yet so I can't say that is has horrible battery life at all, but would it kill HTC to sell a device with a larger battery, a la the RAZR and RAZR MAXX? With how aggressively people use their phones these days (not simply e-mail and phone calls anymore), having a device that is guaranteed to last all day is a must-have feature.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
There is also a reason why you don't work for a corporate mobile handset manufacturer (assumption based off your posts saying manufacturers are "idiots"). And that's because you think that because you are unsatisfied with battery life and lack of SD card that every other person must be outraged too! The battery life on this phone will be sufficient for a great deal of people, as will the 16 gigs of storage. HTC is not out to cater to individuals, its out to cater to majorities. And if they had found that the majority of people would buy more because of the 100 cost savings you bet your ass they're going to go that way.

Uh ... I didn't say the manufacturers were idiots. I said HTC was idiotic for not using a larger battery in the DNA. It seems many of you are taking my comments personal and bashing me. I don't really care because I don't know any of you and I never will, but I have not bashed on you. I bashed on the phone and I said I understood why people thought little of the manufacturers.

Again, good luck with the phone!

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Is there mobile hotspot? I assume so, but honestly can't find it listen anywhere.

do you mean this?:

Set Your Location

Web
HTC Sense 4.0+
Full Suite of Google Apps incl.: Google Now, Google Maps with Street View and Latitude; Google Talk with Video Chat; Gmail; Google Play Books; YouTube?; Google Calendar, Google+, with Hangouts, Google Play, Speech to text, and more
Backup Assistant Plus (Contacts backup/restoration only), Visual Voice Mail, Amazon, Amazon Kindle, Amazon MP3, Amex Serve, Audible, IMDb, My Verizon Mobile, NFL Mobile, Reign of Amira, Slacker Radio, Verizon Tones, Viewdini, VZ Navigator, Zappos
Mobile Hotspot Capable (Supports up to 10 devices)
Wi-FI: 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 & 5 GHz) capible
Verizon.net, MS Exchange, Yahoo, AOL, Windows Live Hotmail, POP3/IMAP, Gmail App
HTC Android Browser
Text, Picture, and Video messaging with threaded feature

Trent517

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
do you mean this?:

Set Your Location

Web
HTC Sense 4.0+
Full Suite of Google Apps incl.: Google Now, Google Maps with Street View and Latitude; Google Talk with Video Chat; Gmail; Google Play Books; YouTube?; Google Calendar, Google+, with Hangouts, Google Play, Speech to text, and more
Backup Assistant Plus (Contacts backup/restoration only), Visual Voice Mail, Amazon, Amazon Kindle, Amazon MP3, Amex Serve, Audible, IMDb, My Verizon Mobile, NFL Mobile, Reign of Amira, Slacker Radio, Verizon Tones, Viewdini, VZ Navigator, Zappos
Mobile Hotspot Capable (Supports up to 10 devices)
Wi-FI: 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 & 5 GHz) capible
Verizon.net, MS Exchange, Yahoo, AOL, Windows Live Hotmail, POP3/IMAP, Gmail App
HTC Android Browser
Text, Picture, and Video messaging with threaded feature

Ah thank-you, I managed to look at every third party site but overlooked the actual Verizon site.

NightAngel79

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Can you post screen shot of "about" page?
2012-11-14 10.47.36.jpg2012-11-14 10.47.53.jpg

Phil, what about the Amazon home page that I saw in the video. Is that something easily deleted or is always going to be present? Nothing against Amazon but it looks like Verizon might be taking things beyond the app drawer and forcing us to swipe past it on a daily basis.

Easily deleted, hidden, etc... I've hid ALL the VZW stuff already (there is an easy 'hide' option in app drawer)

Does this phone also offer full USB host support like the one x+ ??? The ability to hook up a mass storage device would go a long ways towards solving this 11 gig fiasco :-(

Yes, confirmed something like this: Amazon.com: T & S Electronics Micro USB OTG Cable - Google Nexus 7, Xoom, Samsung Galaxy, Iconia A510, Toshiba Excite 305, & more. LIFETIME WARRANTY!: Computers & Accessories will work on it

How is the sound quality of the rear speaker?

They ROCK!
Well Phil, I am certainly not going to get into it any further with the forum boss. Good luck with the phone!!

Do it! You rebel! (jk, always good to have some constructive debates IMO

Phil, how difficult is it to press that unlock button up top? Is it cumbersome to do with one hand?

I have found it to be extremely easy in the 5 days I have had it

Last edited:

moosez3

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm ready to upgrade from my Thunderbolt. How much is the DNA off contract? I want to keep unlimited data. I like the DNA specs but I work 12 hours shifts & need a battery that lasts. Non removable battery & lack of expandable memory is a concern. But otherwise it looks really nice.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

I have upgraded before and I still have unlimited data.

Thanks Phil (and other standins) for answering our questions:
1. Voice and surfing simultaneously, in both 3g and LTE modes x2
2 . Call voice / speaker quality ?
3. There are two sound amps... hows basic from phone music sound ? x2
4 . Please open a bunch of apps... browser/games/etc... make a call etc, check multitasking to see how aggressive the power mgmt is x2
5. Let's see some pics from the camera done
6. Lets see some short HD Video x2
7. ok I asked too many questions.. I feel ya

I'd be buying two of these if we pull the trigger, GF like to have same phone so we can share features we figure out together We are both very different users
It will be this or the N2

Precisely. Hell, even if you doubled the thickness of the phone with all that going to a larger and heavier battery, the phone would still sell like hotcakes. I'm don't have the device yet so I can't say that is has horrible battery life at all, but would it kill HTC to sell a device with a larger battery, a la the RAZR and RAZR MAXX? With how aggressively people use their phones these days (not simply e-mail and phone calls anymore), having a device that is guaranteed to last all day is a must-have feature.
Last I checked the Razr Maxx was not selling like hotcakes, nor is any phone with doubled thickness...

Phil, how difficult is it to press that unlock button up top? Is it cumbersome to do with one hand?
x2

More on the Audio quality: Can anyone who has the phone compare the headphone output and quality vs SGIII and other phones?

Thanks a lot!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I disagree with you 100% on this one. She is making some good points. HTC is suffering in the market. They are bleeding money and I believe that it's because they continue to over deliver on everything but battery. The one X was a failure for them not because it is a bad phone it just doesn't cover the bases the same way the S3 does. She wants to get this phone but expects to see a battery that is better than average. Motorola has proven that we can put a bigger battery into a smaller design. Why would Htc not be able to do this when the phone is massive and non removable? The maxx and Note 2 both did it.

I love Htc and want to buy their phones so bad but battery is a huge deal for everyone now. This should be at the top of their list. They already have a bad reputation for this. Why would they not want to fix this and put a serious dent in the Samsung empire? Mark my words. The Samsung galaxy S4 will be arriving shortly and will beat the stuffing out of this phone the same way the s3 did to the one X. I know there were carrier issues in the US, but in Canada we can get both devices on major carriers and very few people I know choose the one x. And it's always because of battery.

Vent over.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The reason the Maxx is not selling like hot cakes is because it also misses the mark in other areas like camera and screen quality.

The DNA is the perfect phone minus the battery.

madkoda12

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have an interesting question. We all know that HTC loves to say they are big on customization but if i remember correctly..the HTC hub(skin downloader, wallpaper downloader etc..) was left out of the HTC Thunderbolt..not sure about their new phones. So my question is does this phone support the HTC HUB and all it's skin downloads are do we just have access to whatever the phone already comes with?

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Nightangel, thanks for your info! Seems like all those notification icons are all white? Not that it matters tremendously, but that seems a little boring. ;-)

What's your experience with the GPS signal? Fast and accurate?

talonsmith

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
NightAngel thanks for the posts! I guess Phils busy catching up. Have you guys taken it outside yet? Gizmodo did a side by side with like 5 phones and they claimed it was difficult(more) to see outside in sun or bright areas.

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I just wanna known why you would choose this over the note. It is obviously a great device but with the skeptical battery that may only get worse over time what is the crack?

cmdr430

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Phil,

Does the phone look to be serviceable?

i.e.

battery removal and replacement?

I am not so much worried about battery life. It just seems to me that with all of the great internals of this phone it should/could last a long time. i.e more than a two year contract... and the one year warranty....

Are these new super phones being designed to be disposable?

I keep my phones in a case and with a screen protector, but I have no control over a battery that goes bad....

Thanks

Cameron

corty34m

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The reason the Maxx is not selling like hot cakes is because it also misses the mark in other areas like camera and screen quality.

The DNA is the perfect phone minus the battery.

minus the battery, only 16gb built in (11 useable), and no SD Slot...

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey Phil, does the phone measure up 2 the hype? Will this be a game changer for HTC? They are getting better wit the one series. So will this help boost HTC? Or go unnoticed because of how strong Sammy and apple are?