I have a DROID DNA. You have questions. Fire away!

ApexPredation

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
... Also, I saw others were asking if this phone is SVDO compatible and capable of simultaneous voice and data on a 3G network. Do we have any info on this yet? It is a very important feature for me as not all areas have LTE yet (on a side note I heard VERIZON's NOTE 2 is not SVDO compatible).

It is not SVDO compatible. Only LTE is compatible.

Sent from my DROID DNA

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
See, this phone is a big disappointment for me as I am a fan of HTC but I need a phone that will last an 8 hour day listening to my music and podcasts over Bluetooth and then.....not having to charge it until I'm home at night.

I've got about 10gb of music which would mean I would have to make sacrifices I'm not willing to do with so little storage on the DNA.

I'm currently using an Incredible 2 with a 3500mah battery but want a substantially bigger screen. With onboard storage and a 16gb sd card, I'm constantly bumping up against the low storage notification.

I'm a fan of sense but as HTC has nothing substantial to offer I am making the switch to the Note 2, probably an even larger battery than stock and a 64gb sd card.

Having owned the OG Incredible and Incredible 2 I'm now moving on.......Goodbye HTC.

The Nottinator

D_Ar1zzl3

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Even with it's somewhat lower power consuming screen, you really expect a 5" display, LTE phone with a 2020 mAh battery to last 16 hours of moderate to heavy use?
I don't think any LTE phone with under a 2500 mAh battery is capable of doing that. I guess it depends on what you call moderate to heavy use. I consider greater than 50% screen on time to be moderate to heavy use (your definition may vary). That would be greater than 8 hours of screen time in a 16 hr day.
Also, please let me know the accessories that made your decision. I don't usually decide phones on the basis of accessories.
Maybe you are referring to items that can mitigate the DNA perceived shortcomings of battery life and internal data storage.
Personally, I wouldn't want one of those battery boost cases or some type of external storage device to use the phone the way it was intended.
If you need to be consistently off charge for more than 10 hours everyday with moderate to heavy use I doubt that this is a good phone option.
The internal storage is not as big an issue unless you don't have consistent easy access to wifi or need to have huge amounts of data on hand at all times. Music, video, and data can be moved pretty easily back and fourth from external sources with hard wire or wifi but can get expensive if it has to be done by cellular network.
Finally, the GN2 is a totally different class of device from the DNA and is hard to compare. It is a matter of form factor and function more than features and performance. The GN2 beats the DNA in virtually every feature and performance category (except screen and camera) but you have to want a phablet instead of a phone.

I'm interested in how the DNA performs with regard to battery life because it is an impressive machine. I think it is near the top of it's class with the iPhone, RAZR HD and GS3.

Oops, I made another post about this on the GN2 vs. DNA thread as I noticed it after I posted here, but I guess it's still relevant. Yeah, 15-16 hours after heavy use might be a bit too much, but to me that's actually worst case scenarios. I'm still using my Rezound, so I have chargers almost all over the place (car, desk, nightstand, etc). However, when I travel or am far away from home is where battery life is crucial. So if a small juice pack can get me thru the day when I'm taking pics, HD video, using GPS and plenty of screen on time while on 4G, then I'll be good (I don't like using cases or screen protectors).

Also, I'm usually on WiFi at work and at home, and mostly stream Slingbox video or music from online radio apps, so storage space for media is not a problem. Even though I would store music I'd listen to often. But with high-profile games using upwards of 1GB of data now a days, I wonder how long it will be until I have to clear out stuff to make space for that or other large apps... That's where the GN2 comes in, but it's size, screen and camera are pretty significant shortcomings compared to the DNA... Maybe the upcoming reviews will help me make up my mind.

nativi

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The GN2 beats the DNA in virtually every feature and performance category (except screen and camera) but you have to want a phablet instead of a phone.

I'm interested in how the DNA performs with regard to battery life because it is an impressive machine. I think it is near the top of it's class with the iPhone, RAZR HD and GS3.
These made me lol. DNA has the best screen on a mobile device ever. It has quad core, 2 gigabytes RAM, wireless charging and probably the best camera ever found on a smartphone. From what the people that have it are saying.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Finally, the GN2 is a totally different class of device from the DNA and is hard to compare. It is a matter of form factor and function more than features and performance. The GN2 beats the DNA in virtually every feature and performance category (except screen and camera) but you have to want a phablet instead of a phone.

There are plenty of articles / benchmarks that compare the two processors, Qualcomm leads the list, esp the s4 pro,

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I just read a couple of reviews on this and they say the DNA screen is taking a backseat to the HTC One x.

It's undeniably the highest ppi and the best looking under magnification but they are saying the white's are a bit blue and not as bright.

As far as size, this phone is only a 1/2 inch smaller than the Note 2, same width as an S3 but taller screen.

The Nottinator

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
If you guys are worried about the microSD slot, the HTC J Butterfly has a microSD slot on it and still uses LTE bands. The only thing is that you'll have to buy the phone off contract and import it. But other than that, shouldn't be a big deal? Well at least it's not a big deal for me since I use the Tmo Value plan.

Just so people know, according to the J Butterfly Spec sheet, the DLX/DNA/J will get HSPA+ bands as well (Tmo's 42mbps+ included).

LOL...I was gonna ask about this. I was planing on buying the DNA off contract so I could keep my current plan. So the J Butterfly will work on Verizon's LTE network? Anyone know approx cost of buying one and having it imported or if it is even possible?

Last edited:

alaurita

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Does the DNA support threaded group sms/mms out of the box like Droid Razr Maxx or the iPhone for that matter. If I am not mistaken the Rezound and Incredible 4g LTE DO support this function, but the Incredible 2 and Rhyme do not. Does this phone have that feature in the HTC Messaging app?

Anybody with the phone have this answer? Could be deal breaker. The third party solutions for this are just horrible

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey Phil, how many home screens can be set up on this thing. And does the wallpaper do the slow-slide thing as you scroll among them?