Htc fans unite!! (read my manifesto)

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like you want the HTC J Butterfly. The Droid DNA is exclusive to Verizon. Instead of demanding HTC make changes to carrier specific phone, you ought to be pushing the other carriers to get the J Butterfly.

natenrb9

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Actually, HTC does have to bow to carrier demands somewhat.

Samsung and Apple have created lines that people want - basically transcending the carriers. How many units are these two pushing? I'm pretty sure Apple alone (taking the lesser of the two by volume) sells more units than HTC. Samsung and Apple can both make a "take it or leave it" stance with the carriers.

HTC on the other hand can be easily replaced (by volume) with an LG or a Motorola or even a ZTE or Huawei.

No more need on this thread for carrier excuse posts. Thanks. We all understand there are carrier difficulties that HTC needs to work out.

natenrb9

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you want the HTC J Butterfly. The Droid DNA is exclusive to Verizon. Instead of demanding HTC make changes to carrier specific phone, you ought to be pushing the other carriers to get the J Butterfly.

Sounds good to me...although I am not sure what battery it has...

natenrb9

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
HTC is still making money though. They're not losing (yet). They're just not making as much as they used to.

And it doesn't matter if HTC makes what you think are (or could be) the best Android phones available, phones that supposedly "out-class" what Samsung is doing. HTC will need to put the marketing muscle behind those products. This then goes back to the "HTC doesn't have the clout that Samsung and Apple have" argument - they'll probably need their carrier partners to pitch in with that, which means DROID- and EVO- branded phones.

More marketing is key!

Last edited:

natenrb9

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Actually, HTC does have to bow to carrier demands somewhat.

Samsung and Apple have created lines that people want - basically transcending the carriers. How many units are these two pushing? I'm pretty sure Apple alone (taking the lesser of the two by volume) sells more units than HTC. Samsung and Apple can both make a "take it or leave it" stance with the carriers.

HTC on the other hand can be easily replaced (by volume) with an LG or a Motorola or even a ZTE or Huawei.

Using the carriers as an excuse is not productive to the cause of helping HTC to achieve greatness. This just gives them more reason to not answer the manifesto's problems. We don't need anymore info on the power of the carriers. We all understand that HTC has the carriers to deal with.

natenrb9

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

This thing has an SD card slot, and it is waterproof!! Although, it does have the same sized battery...

Jason_A

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
No more need on this thread for carrier excuse posts. Thanks. We all understand there are carrier difficulties that HTC needs to work out.

But that's the thing - it's the fatal flaw in your whole Manifesto. HTC didn't design this phone and then go to Verizon and say "will you sell this for us". It was the other way around. Verizon went to HTC and they worked together to design it. Verizon VERY MUCH dictated the format and features of the phone. They're also ponying up a lot of marketing and probably development dollars for this thing. While that creates an exclusivity problem for HTC, it also helps offset their other costs, so from a financial standpoint, it's kind of a toss-up for them.

I know you don't want to hear it, but as other's have said, HTC is such a small company compared to most other phone manufacturers. In terms of market share, they're pretty close to the bottom, so they don't have the clout to tell Verizon how it's going to be. They need Verizon exclusives for the development and marketing dollars, and that technology can then get pushed into their own mass marketed phones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Using the carriers as an excuse is not productive to the cause of helping HTC to achieve greatness. This just gives them more reason to not answer the manifesto's problems. We don't need anymore info on the power of the carriers. We all understand that HTC has the carriers to deal with.

I'll just add that if we supposedly understand that HTC has carriers they have to deal with, this manifesto wouldn't exist. You'd have your answers for each line.

And let's not forget the fact that if you treat the Nexus line as Google's Android reference, things like no SD card (Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Nexus 4) and no user-replaceable battery (Nexus 7, Nexus 4) fall in line with what Google wants from Android.

Also, let's look at the HTC/Dropbox deal. What if one of the conditions for free Dropbox space for some One series users was that some of the One series phones ship without an SD card slot?

natenrb9

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'll just add that if we supposedly understand that HTC has carriers they have to deal with, this manifesto wouldn't exist. You'd have your answers for each line.

And let's not forget the fact that if you treat the Nexus line as Google's Android reference, things like no SD card (Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Nexus 4) and no user-replaceable battery (Nexus 7, Nexus 4) fall in line with what Google wants from Android.

Also, let's look at the HTC/Dropbox deal. What if one of the conditions for free Dropbox space for some One series users was that some of the One series phones ship without an SD card slot?

No, it just means HTC has to step it up and negotiate better. Make their own demands. And you might say, they don't have a choice, well I say considering their recent huge drop in sales and profits, they have no choice but to make these changes!

I don't really care about the sd card slot, that isn't part of the manifesto, but it does demand more storage. 16gb, that is pathetic. The second version of the iPhone had 16gb. 32gb is minimum, and 64gb is ideal.

natenrb9

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Ry, do you work for HTC?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No, it just means HTC has to step it up and negotiate better. Make their own demands. And you might say, they don't have a choice, well I say considering their recent huge drop in sales and profits, they have no choice but to make these changes!

I don't really care about the sd card slot, that isn't part of the manifesto, but it does demand more storage. 16gb, that is pathetic. The second version of the iPhone had 16gb. 32gb is minimum, and 64gb is ideal.

Again, treating the Nexus 4 as a reference, it only has 8GB and 16GB as options right now.

It's hard to negotiate when carriers don't need you as much.

Also, wouldn't sales take a hit if HTC made less phones?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ry, do you work for HTC?

lol.

Apparently I work for HTC now too.

I'll add that to the people who think I work for Motorola (see DROID RAZR ICS threads, apparently I'm a member of the Motorola Defense Network).

And I'll add that to the people who think I work for Apple (see Apple vs. Samsung threads).

:p

natenrb9

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Again, treating the Nexus 4 as a reference, it only has 8GB and 16GB as options right now.

It's hard to negotiate when carriers don't need you as much.

Also, wouldn't sales take a hit if HTC made less phones?

Ry, what is your position at HTC? Hopefully you can pass by message on to Peter Chou.

The Nexus 4 is a terrible example. It costs $299 or $349 OFF CONTRACT. Of course, they had to cut a few things to get the price that low.

- - - Updated - - -

lol.

I'll add that to the people who think I work for Motorola (see DROID RAZR ICS threads, apparently I'm a member of the Motorola Defense Network).

And I'll add that to the people who think I work for Apple (see Apple vs. Samsung threads).

So your work for a PR firm that happens to represent Apple, Motorola, and HTC? :)

natenrb9

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
lol.

Or just an independent contractor social/PR advocate for hire? :)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Or just an independent contractor social/PR advocate for hire? :)

Dude. Get. A. Grip.

He gave you valid criticisms of what you wrote, and important reasons why HTC handsets have the features they have, and your only retort is that he must work for HTC or their PR firm.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Dude. Get. A. Grip.

He gave you valid criticisms of what you wrote, and important reasons why HTC handsets have the features they have, and your only retort is that he must work for HTC or their PR firm.

lol. I'm used to it.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
But that's the thing - it's the fatal flaw in your whole Manifesto. HTC didn't design this phone and then go to Verizon and say "will you sell this for us". It was the other way around. Verizon went to HTC and they worked together to design it. Verizon VERY MUCH dictated the format and features of the phone. They're also ponying up a lot of marketing and probably development dollars for this thing. While that creates an exclusivity problem for HTC, it also helps offset their other costs, so from a financial standpoint, it's kind of a toss-up for them.

I know you don't want to hear it, but as other's have said, HTC is such a small company compared to most other phone manufacturers. In terms of market share, they're pretty close to the bottom, so they don't have the clout to tell Verizon how it's going to be. They need Verizon exclusives for the development and marketing dollars, and that technology can then get pushed into their own mass marketed phones.

you are wrong!!!! there would not be a j butterfly if that was true. HTC took an already designed phone and VZW effed it up. it is pretty apparent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835