Htc fans unite!! (read my manifesto)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
you are wrong!!!! there would not be a j butterfly if that was true. HTC took an already designed phone and VZW effed it up. it is pretty apparent.

You've actually got it backwards. The DNA was designed first, and the j Butterfly grew from that design. All of the differences between the two came from AU/KDDI, not Verizon.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
You've actually got it backwards. The DNA was designed first, and the j Butterfly grew from that design. All of the differences between the two came from AU/KDDI, not Verizon.

so you are saying that vzw designed the dna and then let au/kddi borrow the design? dont think so. this phone was an htc design for carriers to make modifications to. like i said, this was not a vzw design.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site

Proof? What do you mean? That is how it works! HTC is a smartphone manufacturer, they are in the business of designing and building smartphones. The design phones and market them to carriers. The carriers request changes or modifications to line up with marketing or other requirements and wallah!

Of course I have no idea how the phone came about, but I have been around this stuff to know how phones in general come about.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Proof? What do you mean? That is how it works! HTC is a smartphone manufacturer, they are in the business of designing and building smartphones. The design phones and market them to carriers. The carriers request changes or modifications to line up with marketing or other requirements and wallah!

Of course I have no idea how the phone came about, but I have been around this stuff to know how phones in general come about.

It just seems that there are more people claiming the opposite of what you are, what's the truth? Who knows for certain.

However, if HTC decided to pitch a phone to Verizon, Verizon could turn it down and tell them exactly what they want the device to have. HTC makes it, Verizon requests more tweaks. This goes on until Verizon is satisfied. Thus Verizon essentially "designed" the phone. Its obvious they had a big part in it, just look at the color scheme haha

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Gartner Says Worldwide Sales of Mobile Phones Declined 3 Percent in Third Quarter of 2012; Smartphone Sales Increased 47 Percent

HTC is at the bottom & will stay at the bottom until the average consumer has a brand to connect to them. Most people buy marketing terms: iPhone, Blackberry, Droid, Galaxy. The DNA seems to be targeting those people. When you market a device with a 440ppi screen and 16GB of storage, you're not aiming for the enthusiast Android crowd. I can see the DNA selling to people who don't understand tech, don't have a clue that their phone is a small computer, but want the "1080p phone." Those people don't actually use their phones for much compared to the enthusiast crowd, so low storage & battery size are acceptable in a phone targeted at them.

If you want to rail against HTC for not making a phone that has every available feature & the biggest numbers on the spec sheet, then you don't see the reality of the global marketplace. That phone wouldn't sell any better than any other phone unless it had a successful marketing campaign behind it. That's why phones are like cars. There is no "best," just what's "best for you" when you go to buy one.

Jason_A

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

How about quotes from Verizon and HTC reps:

"Verizon and HTC got together 18 months ago to jointly develop the smartphone"

"The process was different from the standard routine of a vendor coming to a carrier with a prototype and the carrier selecting and customizing it. HTC and Verizon worked on the product from the get-go, with the intent of creating a flagship phone."

"Verizon also had a lot of early input in the device. The edge-to-edge glass display and wireless charging capabilities, for instance, were put in at the carrier's request. Erwin said the carrier had more control over the design and features of the phone because of it was intended to be a Droid phone.
The Droid DNA shares many similarities with the Butterfly J, which was announced in Japan with KDDI. MacKenzie said that while HTC and Verizon had jointly developed the DNA, HTC had seen an opportunity to build a variant for KDDI midway through the development process. He said Verizon didn't have an issue with it, since the two carriers don't compete"

HTC amps up Verizon's Droid franchise with Droid DNA | Mobile - CNET News

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
1. 8GB/16GB/32GB seem fine. You don't know how the 2020 mAh battery is going to perform yet. I'm pretty sure I heard Alex Dobie say that the One X+ doesn't have the "multitasking issue" that the One X has.

2. HTC is not Samsung. HTC is not Apple. I seriously doubt they have the clout to make those types of demands with carriers.

3. What if Verizon has some of exclusive with the DROID DNA design in the US? :)

I don't think HTC has much power with Verizon at all

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
WE NEED TO GET THIS TO CEO: PETER CHOU

Ok, I am a smartphone aficionado, and I love everything technology. My friends even refer to me as The Technologist. HTC has the best android phones and android overlay (HTC sense), but your recent "flagship" phones have missed a few crucial elements, and your whole release model (which carriers get which phones) just has problems.

HTC's recent profits have seen huge hits, your sales are far lower than last year. Here is what you need to do to turn HTC around:
1. Low storage, low ram, or too small a battery. These are easy fixes. Any new phone should have 32gb, flagships should have 64gb (especially if no sd card slot...). It should have at least 2GB of RAM (pretty big fail with the OneX+). Battery should be of sufficient size to give you battery life that lasts the entire day (obviously will differ depending on screen, cpu, etc.). These are the areas where the One X failed...if these key elements (along with #2) had been taken care of, you could have seen exponentially different sales for the One X, and it could have been a real contender to the Galaxy S3.
2. You need to release your phones on every carrier as the same model. DO NOT do anymore of these carrier specific phones. Just look at Samsung's success with the Galaxy S3. They released the same phone on all carriers, so they could do all branding/marketing for ONE phone with ONE name. And look, it is the best selling smartphone, even beating out the iphone 4s or iphone 5.
3. The HTC DNA is ALMOST the most amazing phone ever released... PLEASE release a version on AT&T with just 2 changes: upgrade to 64gb and give it a bigger battery. Then release it on ALL carriers everywhere with the SAME NAME. This phone will sell through the roof!

HTC has so much potential, if only the above missteps can be rectified...you can easily overtake samsung. Your phones are superior in almost every way, unfortunately these few key things you are missing are killing your sales, market, and company. I would love to talk to someone and help give more advice on the things mentioned above and many other things that will completely change HTC as a brand and turn it into the powerhouse smartphone manufacturer it has the potential to be.

We need HTC to succeed. The android smartphone world cannot be ruled by Samsung. And the superior Android platform needs to start taking market from Apple and the iPhone...HTC has the potential to make this happen.

COMMENT ON THESE FACEBOOK THREADS:
PLEASE PASS ON TO... | Facebook
PLEASE PASS ON TO... | Facebook

I don't consider this a rant nor childish. You just like HTC and want it to meet the standards of other great selling phones. I want to love HTC as well, but I am no longer holding my breath waiting for it to compete. And for those who want to slam my compete comment, please remember that this is my opinion and I am not trying to force it upon anyone else.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I really liked my Thunderbolt. And I really, really like my Rezound. And I really, really wanted to like the DNA.

There is no point in arguing about how HTC came to the decision to make their phones the way they have. The point is that it's evident that their process doesn't work. Their sales show that.

Personally, if I had to get a new phone before the end of the year, it would not be the DNA. It would be a GS3 or a Note 2. And that is purely based on features - specifically, features that the DNA lacks that those others have. Features that I want. My Rezound has a microSD slot that supports 64GB cards, and it has a swappable battery. I take full advantage of both those facts and will not change to a phone where I lose either of those. And, I think if HTC had included those features in the DNA, the DNA would have the same appeal to the people who like it now, but would also have appeal to additional people (like me). In other words, it seems to me to be a No-Lose proposition for HTC to have included those features. Making the display higher rez doesn't let me actually DO anything more with the phone. Making it thinner doesn't let me DO anything more with the phone. Putting a bigger battery in and letting me swap it out when I need to WOULD let me do more. Putting a microSD slot in it WOULD let me do more. Having SVDO, so I can talk on the phone and still use my phone as a hotspot for my tablet or laptop, while I'm on a 3G data connection WOULD let me do more. HTC used to "get" this. Now, it seems that they have lost their way.

One of their problems is... Google wants to drive everybody to use their Cloud. Thus, Google's push for less internal storage and their totally baloney "explanations" for why they are pushing to eliminate SD/microSD slots on phones. If you store all your data (music, videos, photos, email, contacts, browser Favorites, calendar, etc.) in the Google Cloud, they can mine all that data. They can see what music and videos you like. How often you listen to or watch each song or video. Where you are buying your music and videos (or if you're pirating them). They can see who your friends are and what you are emailing each other about. They can your (and your Contacts') birthday, where you live, where you work, your phone numbers and email addresses. Potentially, they can see what credit cards you have (obviously, if you use Google Wallet or Google Checkout). They can see who your Facebook friends are. They can see where you're traveling to or hanging out at. They can use the geo info in your pics and facial recognition to see where you were and who you were taking pictures of.

And then they can turn around and aggregate all that data and sell it. Marketers will pay serious money to know that their ad for WidgetX is being displayed specifically to someone who has been talking about WidgetX in their email or visiting websites about WidgetX. Want to sell Wolverine dolls? Pay Google to show ads to people who've been watching any of the X-Men movies.

At the same time, most carriers are doing away with Unlimited Data. So, the carriers are financially incented to make sure you can only buy a phone that won't hold all your music and videos, so you have to listen to your songs (which you own) by storing them in the Google Cloud or Dropbox or wherever and then pay your carrier for the data usage that it takes to stream it to your device.

All of this combined is why I use an Android phone but I don't use GMail or Chrome. My email, calendar and contacts are all stored on a private Exchange server. My phone is not backed up to Google. They don't see my Web Favorites or where I surf. They do get my search terms and what links I click on google.com, of course. I don't have Privacy Paranoia. But, I think it makes sense to take the reasonably easy steps that are available to protect my privacy. I have enough local storage on my phone for all my MP3s, so I don't have to carry around my iPod just so I can listen to whatever I want whenever I want to - even if I'm out of cell coverage or on a plane - and I don't have to pay Verizon for data usage to stream it from somewhere.

So, of course, between Google and Verizon/AT&T/etc, HTC is going to feel a lot of pressure to offer phones with ridiculously small amounts of internal storage. And a non-swappable battery, so that when the battery stops working so well after a year or so, you'll just buy a whole new phone, instead of replacing the battery.

They may feel like they're caving to the demands of Google and the carriers in order to stay afloat. But, every quarter the numbers are showing that what they are doing is letting the carriers slowly force them out of business. I'd say they need to man up and design phones that we actually want and, if Verizon (for example) refuses to carry it, then HTC should tell them to stick it and just not have a phone for sale through Verizon.

It is sad that HTC is making a phone like the DNA and people like me (mobile professionals, tech geeks, frequent travelers, outdoorspersons) will choose to buy a Samsung phone instead just because of a lack of features that they have had before and could have easily included in the DNA.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree, it seems like they either do not get the research or they aren't doing it at all. The concept of a super-phone is exactly what consumers are begging for and I think they'd be willing to pay more for it. It seems like all of these compromises are made with "thinness" and "cutting costs" as the primary drivers. Both of these are misguided motivations considering they both fly in the face of the actual desires of the people who buy the phones.

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Well stated my friend. I am also a tech junkie and phones are my passion to play with and just find out what I can do with them. I hope HTC releases the DNA on att. I think HTC makes the best handsets in the industry and hope they make a great comeback!

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

jasongeiger

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Holy sh@t if 16gb becomes the new standard I'll have to settle with a boring iphone eventually. God I hope not! I want my music on my device in case I don't have a signal in the gym and wifi is crappy there. Add games and apps to that. Then what good is shooting a 1080p video of my daughter's orchestra concert if there isn't any space left? I like HTC but they won't get my money on this one. I'm not complaining; there's other options out there...

natenrb9

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Dude. Get. A. Grip.

He gave you valid criticisms of what you wrote, and important reasons why HTC handsets have the features they have, and your only retort is that he must work for HTC or their PR firm.

Get a grip? Please read the entire thread, so you can leave a helpful comment.

The problem is Ry's comments are completely non-constructive. The point of this particular thread is to help HTC achieve the greatness that they almost have on their newest phones, but completely miss because of extremely key things left out. There is no need to hear excuses why they are making these mistakes, we can hear those from HTC.

natenrb9

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
lol. I'm used to it.

Ok, seriously Ry. I think the users of AndroidCentral.com have a right to know your true motivations. You have left 2,948 posts, and from what I can see most are completely non-constructive and only offer excuses, without really trying to help improve android, the manufacturers, and whatever deals go on with the carriers.

It is of absolutely no help to offer excuses for HTC or any other manufacturer. They can do this themselves. This thread in particular is to help HTC improve their phones to what the market wants, you only need to see the popularity of the Galaxy S3 (2gb of ram, expandable memory slot, removable battery, and on every carrier) and the sinking sales/profits of HTC to see this. If you are simply fine with the status quo and just want to "help" out the manufacturers and carriers by offering excuses for them, don't bother posting in forums, you can simply live your life buying your favorite android/iphone phone that comes out (without worrying about what it is missing) like 99% of all other consumers.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Get a grip? Please read the entire thread, so you can leave a helpful comment.

The problem is Ry's comments are completely non-constructive. The point of this particular thread is to help HTC achieve the greatness that they almost have on their newest phones, but completely miss because of extremely key things left out. There is no need to hear excuses why they are making these mistakes, we can hear those from HTC.

If you want to make it personal - actually, I won't go there. I don't need to play at the bottom.

You see what I post as excuses. Others see it as explanations. There's a reason HTC is in the position they're in and you don't want to hear it. Your solution is to make a 64GB DROID DNA with expandable memory and a user-replaceable battery. That will solve ALL of HTC's issues.

There's WAY more to it than that.

HTC needs to stop investing in things like OnLive and Beats.

HTC needs to better market their devices.

REGULAR consumers hardly know what phones are HTC phones. Everyone knows about the iPhone. Everyone knows about the Galaxy S3.

I don't know anyone that bought an Galaxy S3 because it has SD card slot and a user-replaceable battery. They bought the Galaxy S3 because it was well-marketed to them.

Ok, seriously Ry. I think the users of AndroidCentral.com have a right to know your true motivations. You have left 2,948 posts, and from what I can see most are completely non-constructive and only offer excuses, without really trying to help improve android, the manufacturers, and whatever deals go on with the carriers.

It is of absolutely no help to offer excuses for HTC or any other manufacturer. They can do this themselves. This thread in particular is to help HTC improve their phones to what the market wants, you only need to see the popularity of the Galaxy S3 (2gb of ram, expandable memory slot, removable battery, and on every carrier) and the sinking sales/profits of HTC to see this. If you are simply fine with the status quo and just want to "help" out the manufacturers and carriers by offering excuses for them, don't bother posting in forums, you can simply live your life buying your favorite android/iphone phone that comes out (without worrying about what it is missing) like 99% of all other consumers.

So you consider yourself an expert on what general consumers want? If you want change at HTC, stop buying HTC products.

HTC is a little fish. They have never created and marketed a product that had the hype and following that an iPhone has. They have never created and marketed a product that had the hype and following that the Galaxy S III has. That's not at excuse. That's the truth.

Carriers probably had the opportunity to take all three One series phones. AT&T bit on the One X. T-Mobile bit on the One S. Maybe HTC should have never even developed the One S. Maybe AT&T asked for exclusivity on the One X. What is HTC supposed to do? Say no?! Again, THEY ARE NOT IN THE POSITION TO DICTATE TERMS TO CARRIERS. What if they said no to AT&T and AT&T decided not to carry the One X? HTC would be in even more trouble.

You want HTC to create a take it or leave it product. If they make that product and carriers in the US say no, where does that leave HTC? HTC has no leverage.

Last edited:

natenrb9

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If you want to make it personal - actually, I won't go there. I don't need to play at the bottom.

You see what I post as excuses. Others see it as explanations. There's a reason HTC is in the position they're in and you don't want to hear it. Your solution is to make a 64GB DROID DNA with expandable memory and a user-replaceable battery. That will solve ALL of HTC's issues.

There's WAY more to it than that.

HTC needs to stop investing in things like OnLive and Beats.

HTC needs to better market their devices.

REGULAR consumers hardly know what phones are HTC phones. Everyone knows about the iPhone. Everyone knows about the Galaxy S3.

I don't know anyone that bought an Galaxy S3 because it has SD card slot and a user-replaceable battery. They bought the Galaxy S3 because it was well-marketed to them.

So you consider yourself an expert on what general consumers want? If you want change at HTC, stop buying HTC products.

HTC is a little fish. They have never created and marketed a product that had the hype and following that an iPhone has. They have never created and marketed a product that had the hype and following that the Galaxy S3 has. That's not at excuse. That's the truth.

Carriers probably had the opportunity to take all three One series phones. AT&T bit on the One X. T-Mobile bit on the One S. Maybe HTC should have never even developed the One S. Maybe AT&T asked for exclusivity on the One X. What is HTC supposed to do? Say no?! Again, THEY ARE NOT IN THE POSITION TO DICTATE TERMS TO CARRIERS. What if they said no to AT&T and AT&T decided not to carry the One X? HTC would be in even more trouble.

You want HTC to create a take it or leave it product. If they make that product and carriers in the US say no, where does that leave HTC? HTC has no leverage.

There we go Ry, there is some constructive feedback! Yes, I fully agree HTC needs to market better, but along with giving the consumers what they want. Many keep pointing it Samsung's marketing, but that isn't all they have, if their phone was crap it wouldn't sell. The S3 just happens to be not only the best selling android phone, but also the best selling smartphone, and this is just because of marketing? No, I am pretty sure the fact that it has an SD card slot, removable battery, and 2gb of ram have helped it to completely swamp the One X.

This makes no sense: "I don't know anyone that bought an Galaxy S3 because it has SD card slot and a user-replaceable battery. They bought the Galaxy S3 because it was well-marketed to them." Everyone I know who has an S3 bought it with these things heavily on mind. These are some of the main advantages over an iphone, among other things of course.

Now, why do I keep cheering for HTC. HTC has far superior: screens (One X and DNA), Sense (easily bests touchwiz and other competitors, although LG's Optimus G version is looking pretty good), and their phone build quality is far superior. These other problems seem like easy fixes to me...just put in enough ram, memory space (or sd card slot), and a removable or big enough battery. Of course the carrier problem is a bit more difficult...